Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 November, 2018, 09:50:40 PM

Pompeii. Jack Bauer and John Snow try to hack lumps out of each other with swords completely undeterred by the fact that the top's come off the local mountain and loads of fire's squirting out of it.

A total waste of eyesight.

Ghastly, innit. Hard to imagine a worse use of such a compelling backdrop. Supposedly we were once going to be getting an Orlando Bloom/Scarlett Johansson* adaptation of the Robert Harris novel too,  so I could be wrong...

*Presumably playing a Nubian slave girl.

Sinx

Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 November, 2018, 05:33:10 PM
Quote from: Sinx on 07 November, 2018, 03:41:49 PM
relentless recuperative powers being that he's had a fair old beating in the last thirty years and is still walking around like a man half his age

This film is supped to be a sequel to the original and Halloweens 2 onward never happened.
Ah I see. I guess now that's why Myers is still so full of rage 40 years later ... an enlarged prostate will do that to you.

Hawkmumbler

Starting a rewatch of the Man with No Name trilogy, and by god though The Good, The Bad and The Ugly made a house hold name out of the character and Eastwood, A Fistful of Dollars is a damn good way to open a trilogy. It gets better with each viewing and though I have doubts it will ever eclipse For a Few Dollars More, my favourite of the saga, it's still a top tier western.

Tiplodocus

Which order? I am sure you are aware that in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, he picks up the outfit in which he starts Fistful.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

You should read the novels too. He goes hot air ballooning in one of them!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 November, 2018, 05:03:46 PM
Which order? I am sure you are aware that in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, he picks up the outfit in which he starts Fistful.
In release order. As intended.

Decided to break up the Samurai and Western binge i've been on recently, too much of a good thing ain't so good after all, as Home in Manchester housed a special screening of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad and, stop me if this sounds familiar, though not my favourite of the trilogy (that goes to The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, a perfect adventure movie) you still get all the hallmarks of 50's Harryhausen wrapped up in a lavish and delightfully garish package. The Dragon in particular is still a joy to watch. I've said it several times, but we did nothing to deserve Ray Harryhausen.

Hawkmumbler

Oh, and I saw Bohemian Rhapsody the other night. Profoundly disappointed, and no one could have wished to love it more than I.

Paul faplad Finch

I just got done watching all the Marvel movies with commentaries, after deciding on a whim to replace my dvds with blu-rays. Talented directors they may all be, but lets just say some of them are less well endowed in the charisma department than others. I'm naming no names,
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Apestrife

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 November, 2018, 05:03:46 PM

Cool. I wasn't aware of that. Gonna watch it and Fistful back to back when I visit my mum and dad this christmas :)

wedgeski

Sicario 2. Really great, but doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as the first one. Josh Brolin is the Dan Abnett of Hollywood right now, and equally as reliable.

Rately

Quote from: wedgeski on 12 November, 2018, 09:26:36 AM
Sicario 2. Really great, but doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as the first one. Josh Brolin is the Dan Abnett of Hollywood right now, and equally as reliable.

Brolin is brilliant in it.

I'm intrigued to see where they go with the story in the third movie.

Hawkmumbler

Finally wrapped up the two trilogies on my watch pile.

For a Few Dollars More does what all great sequels do, raise the stakes, gives us another day in tge life of Maco, a second protagonist with his own take to tell, and a cabaret of truly disgusting antagonists. A great second instalment. It still comes a distant second in the saga, though. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is a perfect western, and a perfect war movie. Even in it's nearly 3 hour extended cut it doesn't miss a beat or waste a scene, or score, or a line. Leone made something special and I think he knew it.

Contrary to popular opinion I feel The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is the best of the lot. Everything from the casting to the cinematography is nothing short of superb, Harryhausen is at the peak of his game and the movies unremitting sense of fun is infectious. That being said The Eye of the Tiger ain't half bad either, brimming with fun and whimsy. Not a bad weeks viewing at all.

Tiplodocus

Quite enjoyed OUTLAW KING especially the fact there wasn't a kilt in site. I am a bit rubbish at Scotch (sic) history but I doubt Bruce was quite such a man of the people and warm and noble. Loved the trebuchet!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

broodblik

Outlaw King was really enjoyable, anyone who has Netflix and likes history this is for you
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

Thanks for the recommendations- I'm looking forward to catching this one.

I got chance to watch Layer Cake with Nano-bolt last night. For me the film has aged well, but my little girl went to great lengths to explain that there was something badly off for the film with it's treatment of the ladies. She loved the final twist, and the juggling of all the plot elements, though.