Main Menu

All-Star Goddamn Batman & Robin

Started by Christov, 29 October, 2009, 05:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christov

Seeing how we have an All-Star Superman thread, I thought we should have one for Batman as well.

So, has Frank Miller gone out of his whore-obsessed mind? Or is he doing a clever deconstruction of his earlier works and the wave of overbearingly dark comics (AKA, the 90's) he and Alan Moore accidentally unleashed upon us?

Personally, I think it's a little bit of both.

Dandontdare

Shouldn't that be Goddamn Batman and 12 years old Robin?  ;D. It does seem like Frank has taken leave of his senses though.

There's a good thread based on a hilarious review of this comic: http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,24025.0.html

Christov

Ah yes, the goddamn hilarious Longbox review. Brilliant stuff.

Anybody else have the feeling the series won't be continued though? I mean, after so many delays and supposed dates for release being pushed back further and further, has the series become one that is destined to never reach any tangible conclusions?

What with Frank Millar still carving out an ill-conceived film career and Jim Lee preoccupied on the DCU MMO, I have a feeling it's dead in the water now.

Tiplodocus

The art was gorgeous though.

Sorry, goddamned gorgeous.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Christov

Goddamn right. Jim Lee is frankly one of the best artists around, and his style suits All-Star Batman just as well as Frank Quitely's work fits All-Star Superman.

I actually had very high hopes for the All-Star range, but I don't think it'll ever go beyond what we've got now to be quite honest. Shame really.

TordelBack

I have a guilty liking for the Yellow Room gag.

Alski

I love the whole thing, best Batman in years.

I know i'm in a minority, but don't give a goddamn!

The Joker was actually quite threatening, and the ywllow room was a touch of genius.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: emceehamster on 02 November, 2009, 02:08:47 PM

You, sir, are directly out of your fucking mind!

Besides, even if ASBR wasn't a foetid pile of stinking bilge that reads like dismal fanwank some thirteen year-old wrote in his parents basement (which, of course, it is), Morrison & Various' Batman and Robin is the best Batman in years ...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

This is the Frank Miller thing, yes? 

Not a fan I'm afraid.  Year One is about as far as I go with Miller's Batman, the rest is rather flawed and as time goes on, he's exposed more and more as a fairly weak writer.  For Grant Morrison (not one of my favourite writers) to trump him suggests that, for me at least, Miller's really not worth bothering with (see Sin City, 300 etc).
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Alski

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 November, 2009, 03:24:17 PM
Quote from: emceehamster on 02 November, 2009, 02:08:47 PM

You, sir, are directly out of your fucking mind!

Besides, even if ASBR wasn't a foetid pile of stinking bilge that reads like dismal fanwank some thirteen year-old wrote in his parents basement (which, of course, it is), Morrison & Various' Batman and Robin is the best Batman in years ...

Cheers

Jim

Nyah Nyah Nyah... reasoned argument be damned - you can't argue with opinion!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: emceehamster on 03 November, 2009, 12:08:32 PM

Nyah Nyah Nyah... reasoned argument be damned - you can't argue with opinion!

Nonsense! Just because they're personal doesn't mean that opinions can't be wrong ... I'm not saying that you can't like it -- that's got nothing to do with me and it's a free country.

However, "the best Batman in years" is a claim that can be tested, if not against other Batman stories then against simple criteria for basic story-telling ... such as: how long does it take to drive from downtown Gotham to Wayne Manor?

Cheers

Jim

Alski

Sorry, but "Best batman in years" is entirely subjective. It cannot be tested, as it is my personal opinion. Art, dialogue and storytelling are, for me, better than any Batman I have read for some time. Maybe it helped that when I read it I hadn't read a single thing about it, and so did not have negative preconceptions.

You want to test that claim? You can't, because it is my OPINION. If you showed me a story that you thought was better, that would be your opinion, but it doesn't mean I would agree to it just because you say so.

so, as I have previously stipulated - nyah nyah nyah

Jim_Campbell

Words fail me.

Fortunately, someone else had the time and inclination to break the whole thing down in all its terrible, idiotic detail.

And some more.

And yet more.

I read all these issues with absolutely no idea how badly they'd been reviewed either. What little grasp Frank Miller had on the plot had long gone by this point. It's actually kind of sad.

Cheers

Jim

Alski

i just enjoyed it as a cool comic book. I must be doing something wrong...  :-\

Christov