Main Menu

Masters of British Comic Art

Started by dweezil2, 08 April, 2020, 10:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

So my copy turned up yesterday and it really is a thing of exquisite beauty!!!

A fascinating historical examination of the medium and lavishly illustrated, it will serve as an essential reference guide in the future.

Worth buying for the glorious art on display alone!!!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Colin YNWA

Well bless Rebellion for keepin' on. I did a large order, some for the kids, some for me with my 50% sub voucher and this was amongst them. It arrived in super quick time, given the circumstance and holy heck I feel guilty f(well not that guilty but...) for only paying £20 for it as it a thing of wonder and beauty.

I'm sure when I read it I'll be all - well why isn't such and such in here and why don't they feature so and so (no Phoenix art that I've spotted yet for example) but that will be petulant poppycock - I mean that won't stop me sure but even so petulant poppy cock. It is a hefty, glorious beast of a volume and there seem to be so many, many wonders I've never seen and artists I've not known, meaning it will have hopefully hit its mark and expanded awareness of some apparently underappreciated masters. And that's just from a quick look through.

Magnificent.

broodblik

Pity this is not available digitally but this is something I believe should be read on a physical copy
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 09 April, 2020, 03:21:17 PM
Pity this is not available digitally but this is something I believe should be read on a physical copy

Yeah to be honest I'd suggest its a coffee table book that's purpose would be defeated a little by a digital version... though it would expose some of these forgotten (by me at least) folks to a widest possible audience.

Timothy

Does Lorenzo Etherington not count as a Phoenix alumnus?

CalHab

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 April, 2020, 03:12:38 PM
Well bless Rebellion for keepin' on. I did a large order, some for the kids, some for me with my 50% sub voucher and this was amongst them. It arrived in super quick time, given the circumstance and holy heck I feel guilty f(well not that guilty but...) for only paying £20 for it as it a thing of wonder and beauty.

I'm sure when I read it I'll be all - well why isn't such and such in here and why don't they feature so and so (no Phoenix art that I've spotted yet for example) but that will be petulant poppycock - I mean that won't stop me sure but even so petulant poppy cock. It is a hefty, glorious beast of a volume and there seem to be so many, many wonders I've never seen and artists I've not known, meaning it will have hopefully hit its mark and expanded awareness of some apparently underappreciated masters. And that's just from a quick look through.

Magnificent.

It's a good read, and actually quite short. A big portion of the book is the spectacular gallery at the back, which I think I'll be regularly leafing through for some time.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Timothy on 10 April, 2020, 09:50:04 AM
Does Lorenzo Etherington not count as a Phoenix alumnus?

Well yes but its not his Phoenix stuff shown - though a very lovely piece. I think I was hoping we'd get some Jamie Smart, Neil Cameron or Robert Deas... or well one of the many other superb artist in there - with a newer style that I felt was a little missing - there are probably others from different publiscations I'm ignorant of too.

As I say this is all perspective and a bit (well a LOT) petulant to be whinging about as it is superb and of course its impossible to include everything in one volume... mind the relief I felt that the Mighty Yeowell was in there on the last page of that first gallery!