Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 03/05/08, 6.20pm, The Poison Sky...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 03 May, 2008, 08:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

Surely an 'arc' has to consist of more than two episodes?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

But blah blah bad science in Doctor Who Blah Blah. What'cha gonna do?

Heh. The thought occurred to me after watching Saturday's episode, it's like watching The Android Invasion (Nov-Dec 1975) every bloody week!

But never mind, eh?
STRIKE !!!

The Amstor Computer

She still absolutely admires him and has faith in him (but I think that was a trait of companions in much of Old Who too surely? I might be wrong though as I haven't seen much of Old Who.

No, you're right enough. The key difference - in my mind anyway - was that the trust and faith they had was left for the viewer to find. They didn't have speeches telling other characters/the viewer how wonderful the Doctor was, or how he was the only one who could save them. I don't mind the Doctor being a heroic figure, or the only person who can save X, Y or Z, but I resent being told that by the companion-of-the-season.

Mardroid

They didn't have speeches telling other characters/the viewer how wonderful the Doctor was, or how he was the only one who could save them.

Gotcha. I agree. And showed in it's most extreme case at the end of last Season with the whole Martha-walking-the-earth-Peter-Pan-send-him-your-happy thoughts-to-grow-young-again stuff. Right when there was the Master's age manipulating laser screwdriver right there...

Again, lets at least hope things change more with Donna.

The Adventurer

Anyway, best part of the episode?

"Are you my Mummy?"

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

LARF

nah best bit was in the trailer for the next episode:
" hello dad!"

This had better be credible!

Huey2

The "Are you my mummy?" comment would only make sense if anybody else there had been present during the "Empty Child" storyline. Since they weren't and the only people who'd get the joke would be audience members who remember a three year old story it's all a bit postmodern isn't it.

My biggest moan about this is how bland it is. When talking about "The girl in the fireplace" Moffatt claimed that Doctor Who was the only place you'd see a horse on a space-ship. And he's right. Done properly, Doctor Who should be like nothing else on telly. This was just like everything on tv. From the opening moments of episode 1 where a character who knows too much is killed off to the end where the gut-who-done-wrong redeems himself.

Second biggest moan is how stupid the alien invasions are getting. 9-11 changed everything. Here, however, we've got a world where the British government have apparently been blown up by a missile, the existence of (hostile) alien life has been proven, the President of the United states has been assasinated and, judging by the events of this story, millions have died as they were driving cars which started pumping out poisonous gas.
Surely, this would start to have some serious ramifications for society. Wouldn't it?

SamuelAWilkinson

Best bit this week: mention of the Brig getting a knighthood. Hell, yeah.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Mardroid

Surely, this would start to have some serious ramifications for society. Wouldn't it?

I think that's partly the point. To quote Captain Jack "This is the century in which it all changes."

I wasn't keen on all the large scale invasions either to tell the truth.  I kind of prefer it when the world menace is hidden from the general public (which actually the Sontarans themselves were this episode, although their actions certainly weren't), but I'm going with it now, seeing it as a bit of fun.

I think the resolution was better than the end of season Dalek episode a couple of years back. Or the Master one for that matter. Especially the Master one.

Still that's not saying much...

Oh by the way, those Sontaran laser guns were pretty cool weren't they? No doubt this is the big kid in me speaking (the one who wishes that Termight Lawgiver were going for a cheaper price.)

Mardroid

Robin Low

"When talking about "The girl in the fireplace" Moffatt claimed that Doctor Who was the only place you'd see a horse on a space-ship. And he's right."

Firefly had a space-ship full of cows. Can't remember any horses, but it's comparable.

Regards

Robin

Lobo Baggins

"When talking about "The girl in the fireplace" Moffatt claimed that Doctor Who was the only place you'd see a horse on a space-ship. And he's right."

The liar!  I can distinctly remember some green horse things had their own spaceship in an episode of 'Project Blue Book' when I was a lad!

Admittedly, I seem to be the only person who remembers it, but it happened!  It did!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

TordelBack

Picard had a saddle.  Does that count?

Over in Frefly, Jayne had a memorable line on the horses-in-space theme:  "Shoot the man, not the horse.  Dead horses are cover".

Dark Jimbo

I used to watch an old black and white sci-fi series called something like 'Voyage to the bottom of the sea,' about the adventures of a nuclear submarine.

In its time the sub was plagued by an undead egyptain mummy, a band of murderous yetis, giant squid, vampires, all sorts. All very 'Doctor Who', actually. Anyone else remember it?
@jamesfeistdraws

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK