Main Menu

Fantastic Mr.Fox trailer

Started by the shutdown man, 01 October, 2009, 10:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the shutdown man

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/fantasticmrfox/

I love the look of this film. It's almost weird to see something done in old-fashioned stop-motion these days, but it looks great. I don't know much about the original story, but it definitely has the same quirky Wes Anderson feel to it that his films usually do, which I feel is a good thing.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Paul faplad Finch

I picked up the movie edition of the book for my nephew. Basically the original Dahl story with a few glossy stills in the middle. He took one look at the Badger and said "Doesn't he look creepy, I don't want to see this film." A pity, cos he loves to listen to the Martin Jarvis reading I got him on cd.

He is easily freaked at the smallest of things and prone to nightmares so it looks like this is a no-no for the time being.

To my mind, from the stills alone, it looks great yeah. I'll not try the link for the trailer though, cos my laptops funny about more than one video at a time and I'm currently buffering a youtube vid.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Peter Wolf

Well i have to say i do like the look of it a lot.I was a big Roald dahl fan when i was a kid and still am really as this was a book i read over a few times so i know the story well.

I would rather see stop motion animation anyday rather than Pixar which i actively dislike partly because i find it soulless to look at it for one reason.

The problem i have with this film is that what i saw on the trailer is not representative of the book as it looks like the story has been thoroughly Americanised what with the baseball field and the scenes inside of the supermarket.

Wes Anderson tells the story but also embellishes it with whole sections and scenes that dont appear in the book at all.Theres a lot of different reasons for this which i wont bother going into as i will just end up going off on one about the film industry in the US.

I would have been a lot happier if the film adaptation had stuck to the original storyline rather than blatantly Americanising it to make good downhome family fun for Thanksgiving.It could still have been a family or kids film without Americanising it.

I am going through an anti hollywood phase at the moment for my own reasons and i have developed an active dislike of the Hollywood acting fraternity which has the effect of making it difficult to objectively articulate my opinion of this film.

[Fuck Off Meryl streep and George Clooney..]
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

radiator

I've seen an 80% complete rough cut of this film, and though I had to sign a disclaimer saying I wouldn't reveal anything about the movie, I'm sure they won't mind me saying I thought it was superb! Really hope it does well, though I suspect that kids might find it a little too sophisticated, and that it will probably go down a lot better with the grown-ups!

Empire magazine seem to agree with me - it got 4 stars this month.  

Going to see a screening of the finished film next week - can't wait!

Bit fed up of all the folks online whining about the rough and ready style of animation - I assure you it has more charm and warmth than a hundred Madagascars or Monsters Vs Aliens!

Adrian Bamforth

I'm surprised by the roughness of the animation: It looks kind of home-made, not just the frame rate but the movement itself is crudely done with nowhere near the florish, artistry or comic timing of Aardman or Nightmare Before Christmas. Though that makes me more curious about watching it - Hollywood should take more risks, though it's a shame they didn't just change the characters and make it an original story: Roald Dahl hated adaptations of his work, though now he's gone it's like anything goes.

Peter Wolf

Another reason i dislike Pixar is because i hate the look of their characterisations as they always have to infantile-ise their characters to the point that they look ridiculous and absurd.

The characterisations in this film are wonderful and even though i dislike the adaptation or what i have seen of it in the trailer and i am still very glad that Poxar didnt get their hands on it.

Colin YNWA

I'm a massive Wes Anderson fan, Life Aquatic is probably in my top 5 films of all time and Rushmore not far behind but for what ever reason this is exciting me. Hopefully when I see I'll still enjoy it?

the shutdown man

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 01 October, 2009, 10:43:28 PM

I would rather see stop motion animation anyday rather than Pixar which i actively dislike partly because i find it soulless to look at it for one reason.

Whoa...disliking Pixar is one thing, but soulless? Jesus man, have you seen Wall-E?

I contend that it is you who have no soul.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

radiator

QuoteIt looks kind of home-made, not just the frame rate but the movement itself is crudely done with nowhere near the florish, artistry or comic timing of Aardman or Nightmare Before Christmas.

The choppy style of animation is very deliberate and is an homage to early stop motion films. Granted the comic timing is a little off in the trailer, but the scenes definitely seemed to flow better in the cut that I saw.

QuoteThe problem i have with this film is that what i saw on the trailer is not representative of the book as it looks like the story has been thoroughly Americanised what with the baseball field and the scenes inside of the supermarket.

It's only really the voices that are American (Jason Schwartzman's Ash and the guy who voices Fox's possum sidekick being the standout performances) - the whole style and design of the film is very English, and the film was made in East London by a largely British crew. Though the plot has been expanded and changed quite a lot, as far as I know the supermarket scene is taken from the book.

QuoteI'm a massive Wes Anderson fan, Life Aquatic is probably in my top 5 films of all time and Rushmore not far behind but for what ever reason this is exciting me. Hopefully when I see I'll still enjoy it?

My impression of the film was that while it's very much a Wes Anderson film (there are recognisable elements and visual motifs of The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic in evidence), it's easily his most broad and accessible work to date. A bit of a return to form after The Darjeeling limited, which I personally found a little dull and meandering.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: radiator on 02 October, 2009, 11:50:48 AM
QuoteA bit of a return to form after The Darjeeling limited, which I personally found a little dull and meandering.

Yeah while I enjoyed Darjeeling Limited I don't think it was a patch on his previous.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

I'm really liking the look of this, the slightly rough stop-motion animation really suits it from what I have seen. I used to be a big fan of Dahl work when I was younger, but find it hard to remember Fantastic Mr.Fox.  

I didn't really enjoy The Darjeeling Limited, this could be possibly due to having such high expectations before seeing it. For me it's Rushmore that is one of my favourite films of all time and one that I never get tired of no matter how many times I see it.

Peter Wolf

I have to admit i havent read the book in years so i cant say myself if the supermarket scene is in the book or not.Roald Dahl was the only childrens author i really liked as i wasnt much of a book reader.

Despite what i have already said i would quite like to see this film.

As for Pixar apologies but i just cant stand the stuff.There are other studios using the same style of CGI.Kung Fu Panda is a good example.I liked the idea of the film but hated the characterisations.

If i have no soul then i can live with that....

TordelBack

That looks great!  I love the design of the foxes' legs, superb.  

For a guy with his bankability, George Clooney really picks some fantastic movies to be in.  AFAIC he earned the right to play anything that takes his fancy after O Brother.  And Bill Murray as a grumpy badger.  Terrific!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 October, 2009, 03:25:21 PM

For a guy with his bankability, George Clooney really picks some fantastic movies to be in.  

I've had a massive amount of time for Clooney ever since he did an interview with Barry Norman many years ago where he was entirely unapologetic about appearing in Batman and The End of The Franchise.

He was very clear that he was under no illusions about his shelf life as a heart throb and said plainly that he no longer needed to worry about money again after Batman and Robin and intended to basically spend the rest of his career making films that interested him until he got bored, or Hollywood wouldn't let him do it any more.

Pretty much his generation's Clint Eastwood, then. More power to him.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

Don't know the book, but this looks like a lot of fun! My only objection is the inclusion of Owen arsing Wilson!