Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Andy B on 13 April, 2020, 08:29:03 PM
Looking forward to the spin-off: Eli seems like an inspired choice to talk about Kenny Who?
Yeah and America should give him a good understanding of Dredd as the 'hero'. Sadly his hardcore dredd-induction will be without much Ezquerra for ages, so he may never appreciate Carlos as Conrad and Fox do.

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 April, 2020, 02:49:07 AM
Quote from: Andy B on 13 April, 2020, 08:29:03 PM
Looking forward to the spin-off: Eli seems like an inspired choice to talk about Kenny Who?
Yeah and America should give him a good understanding of Dredd as the 'hero'. Sadly his hardcore dredd-induction will be without much Ezquerra for ages, so he may never appreciate Carlos as Conrad and Fox do.

I'm wondering if it might be an idea for him to read Necropolis first, seeing as so much in the early Meg is immediately post-Nec.  Though how much sense does Necropolis make without having read the various strands that led up to it (including previous Judge Death and Oz storylines, with all that entails).

WhizzBang

Quote from: sheridan on 14 April, 2020, 12:26:22 PM
I'm wondering if it might be an idea for him to read Necropolis first
No, sink or swim. (Hopefully swim)

I think one of John Wagner's strengths is that most of his stuff does not really require you to have read the previous stuff even though he may be bringing stuff back. John has a big input into the Megazine launch from what I remember, probably from Thrill Power Overload, so he would have been thinking about new readers a lot. I have only read the Megazine from about 2017 onwards so I haven't read them myself.

SpaceSpinner2000

First off, whoa, 100 pages! The little forum thread that could! Second:

Quote from: WhizzBang on 14 April, 2020, 01:19:00 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 14 April, 2020, 12:26:22 PM
I'm wondering if it might be an idea for him to read Necropolis first
No, sink or swim. (Hopefully swim)

I think one of John Wagner's strengths is that most of his stuff does not really require you to have read the previous stuff even though he may be bringing stuff back. John has a big input into the Megazine launch from what I remember, probably from Thrill Power Overload, so he would have been thinking about new readers a lot. I have only read the Megazine from about 2017 onwards so I haven't read them myself.

My plan is to introduce some concepts and stories to Eli prior the actual so, right now I'm planning five or six "primer" episodes to better acquaint him with Dredd and his world for three reasons:
1) If I don't do it there I'll be explaining all this backstory to him on the actual show, so might as well let the actual creators to the storytelling
2) I think it could be a valuable resource for other folks trying to get into Judge Dredd
3) I'd really like to at least try to establish Judge Death as cool scary villain before he becomes Mrs. Gunderson's roommate in the Meg.

Hopefully this will also give Eli a chance to get to know some of the classical Dredd artists, as well as the fancy 90s guys we'll be seeing the Meg :D
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 16 April, 2020, 10:53:06 PM
3) I'd really like to at least try to establish Judge Death as cool scary villain before he becomes Mrs. Gunderson's roommate in the Meg.
:D

Leigh S

Excellent!  "Mega City Primer"?

If I was going to do it, I'd do a very select run of important first/second/third year strips -

Podcast 1:  "Return of Rico", "The Academy of Law", "Mutie the Pig" - because Continuity!  Rico and Giant

"Oxygen Board" "Return to Mega-City"  "Punks Rules" - Classic Bolland and McMahon

"City Block" "Sob Story" - Ron SMith joins the party - both important strips too!

"Christmas Comes to Des O'Connor Block" "Umpty Candy" "Judge Minty"- Prime McMahon

"Judge Death" - Prime Bolland!

2: then do the colour strips from the 81 -83 annuals (If you want blow Eli's mind early withthat McMahon goodness and introduce him to Carlos on the strip!) 

3: Then case files 4  (run up to the Apocalypse War)  There are too many great stories in 4 to skip, plus Chopper!

4:  Case Files 5 - nuff said!

5: Then a sprinkling of post Apocalyspe Classics - to show how the strip is maturing: "Requiem for a Heavyweight", "Graveyard Shift", "Hunter's Club", "Sunday Night Fever", "Midnight Surfer",  ..

6: the Democracy stories including "Question of Judgement/Error/Case"

That would be my dream 6 podcasts!

Leigh S

By Case Files 4, I do mean skip the Judge Child, though only for timings sake!  The "Black War" epilogue tells you all you need to know (well, a bit of it!)

Leigh S

Doh... I keep forgetting that the Meg launched after Necropolis, so that makes for a 7th.... EPIC FAIL!

Colin YNWA

I think this was discussed - somewhere... - a wee while ago and Case Files 3 seems a really good, single place to send someone for a really nice overview of tha foundations of the city at least?

sheridan

Considering the early line-up in the Megazine, Oz and Necropolis are the necessaries - though throw in Unamerican Graffiti and Midnight Surfer for Shakespeare background, and Judge Death, Death Lives and whatever we're calling the Judge Anderson story.  Plus a smattering of the Democracy storyline to explain why Dredd left the Meg in the first place.  And Kenny Who?'s first appearance to prepare for Beyond Our Ken (shouldn't that be Beyond Oor Ken?)

Colin YNWA

Well lockdown seemd to have seriously curtailed my podcast listening - its the lack of journey's to work that's doing it - but taken to doing that most ungodly of things, listening to podcasts while running, something I've always tried to avoid as I like whats around me when I'm running. Anyway long story short... or already whittered about finally caught up with Epsiode 199 and have to say Eli seems a fantastic choice. The fact that he's so focused on the art side of things suggests the ... Meg version of Space Spinner - do we have a name for it yet - will have its own style that will make it stand apart, which is a good thing in my book.

Anyway whittering done very much looking forward to episode 200 and here's to the new, two stringed version of Space Spinner.

Fungus

Hugely looking forward to the 'Meg Spinner' podcast...

I'll be reading along this time, quite when my Meg reading gave up the ghost I can't know and the planned [re-]read might as well be now. And 1.1 was the intended starting point.

Eli's art-based comments were refreshing. I'm usually concerned with art over story and concede that this feels like a minority position. Belardinelli or Ron Smith could illustrate the phone book (remember those?), and I'm happy. What Space Spinner can often do is cover the plot and enjoy the action, humour, etc. Art can get mentioned, but it usually isn't, beyond a name-check. When it's Strontium Dog, I'm picturing scratchy Ezquerra art, before I think 'story', that's just the way it is...

And as I like to contradict myself cover all angles, art discussions are tricky. For one, the SS guys hate a text story, and this is only right. Top artists get mentioned and even awards so kudos for that. What Eli's comments made clear is that more than ever, reading along is going to make the difference. Knowing MacNeil, Phillips, etc. styles gets you so far, reading along feels the right thing this time round.

BTW: running and podcasts doesn't really work - agreed!

Cheers on the best podcast(s) out there 👍

SpaceSpinner2000

It's Crime Time AGAIN! Also it's the twenty-ninth in our series of Space Spinner 2000 collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

Stop the World, I wanna get on! Harry 20 comes right at the dawn of what we here at Space Spinner chart as the golden age of 2000, roughly from 1982 to 1986. It's a story of a man unjustly sent to space prison, the people he meets there, and his attempts to escape. It's a decent sized tale at 21 progs, but is often one Fox and I refer to as an example of a great one-off thrill. Something that shows up, has a story to tell, and then leaves, without trying to become a regular feature or set up a sequel or anything like that. Some of that might be due to the famously difficult time the notorious GFD had with 2000AD editors, but I always have a place in my heart for this kind of thing. Plus to my mind it has one of the greatest twists in 2000AD history, and I say this as the podcast enters 1989 and 90, which are a very twisty era for 2000AD indeed!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 April, 2020, 09:14:52 PM
Anyway long story short... or already whittered about finally caught up with Epsiode 199 and have to say Eli seems a fantastic choice. The fact that he's so focused on the art side of things suggests the ... Meg version of Space Spinner - do we have a name for it yet - will have its own style that will make it stand apart, which is a good thing in my book.

The show will be called Big Meg 1! The Url just directs to Space Spinner now, but that will change!

Quote from: Leigh S on 17 April, 2020, 09:58:25 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 April, 2020, 11:41:12 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 17 April, 2020, 12:43:42 PM

Excellent suggestions all, and definitely includes a lot of what I'll be using! As Sheridan mentions it is mostly a focus on prepping for the Meg, so Chopper and Kenny Who are definitely necesities!

Quote from: Fungus on 20 April, 2020, 12:51:59 AM
Hugely looking forward to the 'Meg Spinner' podcast...

I'll be reading along this time, quite when my Meg reading gave up the ghost I can't know and the planned [re-]read might as well be now. And 1.1 was the intended starting point.

Eli's art-based comments were refreshing. I'm usually concerned with art over story and concede that this feels like a minority position. Belardinelli or Ron Smith could illustrate the phone book (remember those?), and I'm happy. What Space Spinner can often do is cover the plot and enjoy the action, humour, etc. Art can get mentioned, but it usually isn't, beyond a name-check. When it's Strontium Dog, I'm picturing scratchy Ezquerra art, before I think 'story', that's just the way it is...

And as I like to contradict myself cover all angles, art discussions are tricky. For one, the SS guys hate a text story, and this is only right. Top artists get mentioned and even awards so kudos for that. What Eli's comments made clear is that more than ever, reading along is going to make the difference. Knowing MacNeil, Phillips, etc. styles gets you so far, reading along feels the right thing this time round.

BTW: running and podcasts doesn't really work - agreed!

Cheers on the best podcast(s) out there 👍

Indeed, this is part of why I asked Eli to be on the show! Not describing the art well enough (either because of wanting to or not being able to) is something I've always felt was a weakness of our show, so I'm happy to try to correct it. I'm glad everyone is so excited for Big Meg, I think it'll be a lot of fun!

Also, if you want well wishes read on our episode 200 please leave them here :D

sheridan

Canonical, indeed!

It was a great way to start the week - best thing about our current working from home is that I can listen to about an hour of podcasts before the conference and phone calls start and I have to be careful about what can be heard!  Airhorns might be difficult to explain :)