Main Menu

Archival Curios

Started by Funt Solo, 21 August, 2018, 04:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

This is the back cover of prog 312 from 1983, celebrating 2000AD's 6th birthday:

Can you identify the droids that are representations of real contributors? 
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Steve Green

Space spinner guys had a go, Ian Gibson was asked and can't remember.

The only definite ones Burt (obviously) on the right, Tom Frame to the left of Tharg and Mick McMahon to Tom's left.

Other than that, maybe John in gold, possibly Alan Grant or Pat Mills to his right. No idea on the long haired one.

TordelBack

Yeah, I'd be tempted to see the guys behind Mick as Wagner and Grant, with a possible Ron Smith to the left of Mick: not their conventional robo-chassis to be sure, but the hair and nose seem a better fit for Grant than  Pat, and Wagner is often depicted as being squat.  The rest seem generic Gibson droids, except for the hippy. 

Pyroxian

Must be Carlos next to Mick

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 August, 2018, 05:34:05 PM
... a possible Ron Smith to the left of Mick

I had that down as Carlos, but the face does look more like Captain Ron. Yes to all the others - last time we did this, I'm sure someone guessed Bryan Talbot for the hippy.

Lobo Baggins

The green droid looks a bit like Steve MacManus; the only droid I can think of who might have had long hair like that is Steve Moore (he had long hair in his cameo in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, anyway).
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 21 August, 2018, 05:40:27 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 21 August, 2018, 05:34:05 PM
... a possible Ron Smith to the left of Mick

I had that down as Carlos, but the face does look more like Captain Ron. Yes to all the others - last time we did this, I'm sure someone guessed Bryan Talbot for the hippy.

I thought Talbot too, but he only seems to have one Future Shock under his belt in 1983 (admittedly an Alan Moore one!), so he seems a bit obscure to be getting a droid-depiction!

Frank

I suppose it could be the teaboy. Bolland once rocked a terrifying mane like an Afghan hound, but I've never seen him cleanshaven, like the droid to the far right:

Funt Solo

Perhaps Bjorn Borg visited the Nerve Centre in 1983?

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Test your Rogue Trooper knowledge (and bask in 80s pixel art) with this not aptly named (because it's horizontal only) Compu-X-Word from prog 353:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 22 August, 2018, 07:23:44 PM
Test your Rogue Trooper knowledge (and bask in 80s pixel art) with this not aptly named (because it's horizontal only) Compu-X-Word from prog 353:

Only one I can't get is 17. Helm and Bagman are often Rogue's.. ? (4)

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: sheridan on 23 August, 2018, 12:27:05 AM

'Eyes', apparently. Although we never see Helm doing this (we see him monitoring radio chatter in prog 228, then he never does anything else again apart from 'pillow duty').
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 24 August, 2018, 03:14:11 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 23 August, 2018, 12:27:05 AM

'Eyes', apparently. Although we never see Helm doing this (we see him monitoring radio chatter in prog 228, then he never does anything else again apart from 'pillow duty').

Poor Helm.
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!