Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Lee Bates on 24 April, 2012, 10:00:59 AM
Someone gave me a free copy of The Road in the train station last night as part of World Book Night.

Hide your belt and shoelaces, turn the gas supply off at the mains

TordelBack

Quote from: bikini kill on 27 April, 2012, 06:23:33 PM
Quote from: Lee Bates on 24 April, 2012, 10:00:59 AM
Someone gave me a free copy of The Road in the train station last night as part of World Book Night.

Hide your belt and shoelaces, turn the gas supply off at the mains

The number of times I've started into this book and then realised I really can't face it.  I'd love to read it, but I don't think I can.

judgefloyd

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 24 April, 2012, 03:56:19 PM
Because today i picked up, for fifty pee each from a market:

Valiant (15 nov 1969) with captain hurricane, kelly's eye, sexton blake, steel claw, house of dolmann, mytek the mighty and the shrinker from space.

Valiant and TV21 (2 oct 1971) with cap'n hurricane, janus stark, star trek- not gold key reprints, in colour, the return of the claw and kelly's eye.

Champion (28 may 1966) in which 'return of the stormtroopers' looks very eric bradbury-esque, battler britton has a couple of pages and there are a bunch of scifi adventure two-pagers in the back, including the finale of 'when the sky turned green' featuring the lovecraftian mermods.

Cor!! (29 aug 1970) sadly without Rat Trap but at least a brilliant Kid Chameleon colour centerspread.

And, most excitingly:

The Skipper (no. 22, jan 31st 1931. Yes, 1931) which is a pre-comic strip boys' weekly 'paper', which features stories and features from the pre-war world, including 'queeriosities' and 'around the queer houses of the world'.

SBT

I probably read that copy of Cor! back in 1970, along with Whizzer and Chips. 
   Today life is okay because a mate has mailed me some Big Finish stuff,free gratis and for nothing from Korea.  A Who novelisation, a McCoy Who audio drama and Hound of the Baskervlles

Zarjazzer

I'm out on the lash 2nite wiv old chums .
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

SmallBlueThing

...because my oldest british comic (skipper, jan 1931) is no longer my oldest- just picked up the boys own paper from march 1919, for a fiver in really nice condition from my local bazaar. Is it really a comic? No, not really. But it counts.

SBT

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Proudhuff

A weekend Dan the smoke, means I saw my hero RICO!! at the International Ska Fest, we got a double dose of RICO as Dandy Livingstone couldn't make it, nice.
DDT did a job on me

Spikes

Trout

Something Fishy

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

TordelBack

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Trout on 08 May, 2012, 08:22:38 PM
Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 08 May, 2012, 03:26:36 PM
I'm not on antidepressants no more.

Nice one. :)

Good work, Roger.  Confession time:  Me neither.  I don't believe I've actually needed them for the last 6 or 7 years but found myself having awful brain-scrambling electric shocks in the brain every time I tried to pack them in.  Prescription drug addiction, if I'm totally honest with myself.  Finally managed to kick them last month though, and also know I'll never need them again.  Meditation, positive thinking, risk-taking, Eckhart Tolle's books and cognitive behavioural stuff I did at home (no need to pay for expensive shrinks!) has sorted me out forever.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Excellent, unmedicated forumites roam the Earth in ever-increasing numbers! 

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks, TB - can't have Godpleton taking all the glory!

Incidentally, Roger:  You've got mail
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"