Main Menu

Map of Mega City One.

Started by ZenArcade, 22 February, 2014, 09:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mimikeke

I ended up just taking out the red area, I don't think we're concerned with MC1 when it first started.  I took out the area underneath N Carolina, is that what you wanted?  I also made a super basic selection of where the App mountains are. 

I also measured a drive from Quebec City to North Carolina and it was about 1600 miles, just for reference for the west wall.

I'll get the City of Dredd book later today and take a look at it.

ZenArcade

Mimikeke, this looks the bees knees :thumbsup:. All we're concerned with in terms of a map at the moment are rough political/administrative boundaries and gross physical features such as the Appalachians. The rest like anything else realistically has to fit into the  physical constraints imposed by the basic geography. My main focus now is the extrapolation of existing high population density areas onwards to the 2030's. After that I intend to focus on communication routes and hubs. These routes again are constrained by geography and tend to remain over long periods of time. For instance the old Roman road network in Europe (which whilst built over by modern infrastructure) is still extant and the Cumberland gap in the NE USA is another example off the top of my head. Z  :)
I would also need to look at possible changes in the coastal littoral of the seaboard states. :-*
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Spikes

Great thread - and idea, Zen and mimikeke.

Looking forward to seeing each development!

ZenArcade

OK, I'm calling it quits for the night. I swear to Christ the last foreigner who knew as much about present day and future geography of the NE USA and South Eastern Canada was some Soviet targeting selector in their missile forces in the 1980's (by the way if the NSA are listening in, that was a joke).  :-\
The Mega City One map, I'm pleased to say, is entirely feasible although it will not be some 600,000 odd km sq of packed Citi blocks.
The basic template for this future megapolis is pretty much there to see today. There is a massive almost contiguous area of urbanisation running on a north east to south east diagonal axis from Boston Massachusetts to Richmond Virginia along a low lying coastal plain.
This is bordered on the west pretty much parallel from Maine to beyond North Carolina by the Appalacian pedmont and the mountain chain its self.
There are areas within this mountain chain replete with basic raw materials (iron, coal etc), Industrial zones, wind farms, agri zones, rich enclaves, sound good anyone?
The future West Wall would handily sit to the West of this bulwark. The Atlantic Wall would serve a dual function of defence against both humans and inundation by rising sea levels, this would, positively from my perspective, lose a lot of low lying coastal areas. Thus narrowing the area where people will be crammed into.
In terms of communication arteries, they are there, Interstate 95 runs virtually all the way along the coastal plain and is supplemented by Interstate 81. These are bisected by the east - west running Interstates 90, 80 and 70.
So I'm pretty positive (with the good offices of mimikeke) that we'll have a rough draft on paper very soon.
It only remains to say, keep the views and suggestions coming in, and where the fruck do I get a cheap off of City of Dredd. Z  :D

maryanddavid

Great Idea, looking forward to the result.

mimikeke

I kind of imagine a lot of the resources within the Apps to be depleted by the time MC1 comes around?  There are quite a few mining towns already there.  If we ever do Texas City I'd be interested to see if there would still be some oil rigs off the Gulf coast.

Also you probably know more than a lot of Americans about the geography of the US =P I am pretty impressed with how much you guys know already about the US on the top of your head. 

You are totally free to do your own drawings of course, they'll probably be a lot more accurate than mine seeing as I've only read the megs for like 2 months =P  Also since I'm crunching a bit I probably won't have time to do super detailed maps this next week, it'll be up to you! :)

As for City of Dredd, it's only $15 USD on Lulu which is a steal IMO.  I have to pay like, twice that, for physical copies of 2000AD =P

ZenArcade

mimikeke, don't be worrying, we're on no deadlines here thankfully. I'm very content to go on with the preliminary research and the initial rough drafts. As I said earlier these should hopefully be in the pipeline over the next week or so. I envisage an initial demonstration on this thread for a member's critique. After this I probably envisage putting some meat on the bones of the project so to speak.
It is more than sufficient at the moment, that you keep providing essential information such as that which you have been kindly supplying so far.
I may need the  odd rejiging of your initial map, which has been of inestimable value to me.
This extends to all of you guys who have been making suggestions so far. There is lot of variables in this sort of thing and they need to be addressed in short order.
Regards Z ;)

Trout

Why is Toronto being omitted? It already looks like Mega City One, IMO.

Maybe it took a direct hit.  :)

Anyway, these maps suggest that I live in the Cursed Earth. Yay!

ZenArcade

Trout, Toronto looks as though it may have made it into the NW hab zone....although the jury's still out, the initial mappings are rough.The Hab zone could be shifted 100 clicks NW. Where in the cursed earth are you. We could give you a nice sov strike crater to live in. Z ;)

8-Ball

I don't know much about the general lay out of Mega-City One but I do know that a chunk of Pennsylvania is in the Cursed Earth as per Fog On The Eerie.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Trout

Quote from: ZenArcade on 23 February, 2014, 04:41:57 PM
Trout, Toronto looks as though it may have made it into the NW hab zone....although the jury's still out, the initial mappings are rough.The Hab zone could be shifted 100 clicks NW. Where in the cursed earth are you. We could give you a nice sov strike crater to live in. Z ;)

London Ontario. I'd love it to be a hotbed of muties.  :D

ZenArcade

Yes, eightball, I'd set out earlier in the post about Pennsylvania: 66% survived, 33% runnijng from Potter County down to Somerset County are gone.
Trout are you sure that isn't the case around there already. Z :lo

8-Ball

Quote from: ZenArcade on 23 February, 2014, 05:56:11 PM
Yes, eightball, I'd set out earlier in the post about Pennsylvania: 66% survived, 33% runnijng from Potter County down to Somerset County are gone.
Trout are you sure that isn't the case around there already. Z :lo

Doh! Sorry Zen, that'll teach me to speed read posts. :-[
I'm looking forward to seeing the Mega-City 500 that bisects the Big Meg on the map.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

ZenArcade

Yep eightball, I had a look last night, IS 95 would roughly appear to be todays precurser for the MC500. As I was saying yesterday a lot of the basic layout of MC1 is here already. Even the number of counties in the present day region aren't far off the number of Sectors in 2120 MC1. Z

Bat King

This is a crazy project...

Loving it!!!
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex