Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

SKULLMAN is a one shot manga i've been meaning to read for sometime, the first instalment in the now labyrinthian cross media Shotaro Ishinomori universe it's both a prototype for Cyborg 009 and Kamen Rider. It's really rather great and a breezy little read, with gorgeous art typical of Ishinomori and a solid deconstruction of the fone line between hero and antihero.

jacob g

Just read War Mother one shot from Valiant and...

This is probably the most 2000AD thing Valiant released since revamp. Postapocalypse world with almost every possible trope that exists in pop culture, including direct movie quotes, alive sniper riffle that is equaly sidekick for main protagonist and suit for reader to learn about the world.

It's nothing great, just ok read, yet still this is first new Valiant title I found interesting since Diversity and Doctor Mirage so I guess I'll buy War Mother miniseries as it should start in august I guess.
margaritas ante porcos

sheridan

Quote from: jacob g on 21 June, 2017, 10:26:40 AM
Just read War Mother one shot from Valiant and...

This is probably the most 2000AD thing Valiant released since revamp. Postapocalypse world with almost every possible trope that exists in pop culture, including direct movie quotes, alive sniper riffle that is equaly sidekick for main protagonist and suit for reader to learn about the world.

It's nothing great, just ok read, yet still this is first new Valiant title I found interesting since Diversity and Doctor Mirage so I guess I'll buy War Mother miniseries as it should start in august I guess.

And in at least one pictures appears to have blue skin and a white mohican.  Wonder where Valiant get their ideas from ;)

Mabs

I went through Jodorowsky's Metabarons series and it was quite probably one of the greatest sci-fi sagas I have read! It is a pure joy, and fans of 2000AD definitely need to check it out. I love the dynamic between the two robots Tonto and Lothar, as they recount the story of the Metabaron's ancestry. They could easily sit alongside Walter as some of the most memorable robot charactees created in comics. 

The ongoing Metabaron series is also very impressive.

Technopriests is also another Jodorowsky title I gobbled up like a paleo-fiend. My thoughts on these books can be found on my blog below.

I really need to get back on the prog and meg bandwagon as I've missed out, but feck, it feels good to be back! :)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

I, Cosh

Quote from: Mabs on 02 July, 2017, 01:02:40 PM
I really need to get back on the prog and meg bandwagon as I've missed out, but feck, it feels good to be back! :)
Hi Mabs. Good to have you back!

I got the first book of Metabarons cheap on Comixology but I found it a bit of a slog to be honest. Must give it another go some time.
We never really die.

Mabs

Hi Mabs. Good to have you back!

I got the first book of Metabarons cheap on Comixology but I found it a bit of a slog to be honest. Must give it another go some time.

Thanks mate! Much appreciated. :)

Metabarons is a richly rewarding experience although it can drag on a tad, my advice is to take time with it, and definitely give it another try!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

I've got Metabarons lined up somewhere on my list after also getting iot cheap via Comixology. Looking forward to gettin' to it but intrigued to hear Cosh didn't get on with it.

Smith

Epic stuff,like I said before.Its so..METAL.

JLC

Just picked up the new Kim & Kim, Love is a Battlefied.

zombemybabynow

Commissioner adamsberg : a climate of fear by Fred vargas
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Eric Plumrose

Realized 'The Love Bunglers' was LOVE & ROCKETS rather than something standalone. Will return (mostly) unread to my local library until I catch up with everything since 'Luba Conquers the World'.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Smith

The Standard Kinda like a superhero murder mystery with shades of Kingdom Come. Great stuff.

JLC

Fungus

These are old as I clear the decks, but:

Seven To Eternity: high drama from Remender, with detailed art. Lacks the fun of Deadly Class, his work I - surprisingly - enjoy most.

13 Coins: bonkers Bisley, finished lushly by Ryan Brown. Reads like a comic version of the kind of film I hate, it's nice to look at but the tale is adolescent silliness.

Death Sentence: London: Feels less convoluted than  the first series, which is a pleasant surprise. A big too right-on for my tastes, the street slang jarred. Enjoyable nonetheless. Monty's notes are worthwhile -- aims to writes stuff you don't read anywhere else, and pretty much succeeds. In a good way.

The Adventurer

Currently plowing through Dean Motter's Mister X Archive. I'm so used to Motter drawing his own comics its so strange to see his most classic work drawn by others.

Its no exaggeration for me to say that Motter's Image series, Electropolis was the comic that broke me out of my Marvel zombie demeanor, and into the indie comic scene.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK