Main Menu

Bad Company

Started by Funt Solo, 19 January, 2020, 04:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Just stumbled across this Pete Milligan and Brett Ewins interview from 1988 about Bad Company.

I was trying to find a synopsis of the plot of Bad Company 2002, because despite reading it a mere eighteen years ago I have no idea what happened.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

it is is Superma's 50th Birthday, then it is some time mid April 88 there - My views on Night Networkisation of 2000AD are that this was an ill wind, and felt it at the time.  I generally have a lot of time for Peter Milligan's strips from this time, but dear lord, lose the glasses and if you are going to declaim the term Graphic Novel as the "Yuppie-isation of comics", don't maybe dress like a Yuppie?

Greg M.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 January, 2020, 04:15:12 PM
I was trying to find a synopsis of the plot of Bad Company 2002, because despite reading it a mere eighteen years ago I have no idea what happened.

Probably for the best.

Proper answer - Kano comes and gets Danny out of the Krool Heart, in a baffling and ridiculous scene that tells us Danny was just sitting about inside the thing, rather than having become it as was clearly the case. I mean, you can fan-explain it away (he generated a new body for himself, that sort of thing) but it's frankly not worth the bother.

Leigh S

Although I read the glasses are to do with Epilepsy, in which case, ditch the suit!

Quote from: Leigh S on 19 January, 2020, 04:40:02 PM
it is is Superma's 50th Birthday, then it is some time mid April 88 there - My views on Night Networkisation of 2000AD are that this was an ill wind, and felt it at the time.  I generally have a lot of time for Peter Milligan's strips from this time, but dear lord, lose the glasses and if you are going to declaim the term Graphic Novel as the "Yuppie-isation of comics", don't maybe dress like a Yuppie?

GordonR

IIRC...

Fleetway thought 2000AD PR droid Igor Goldkind - star of a thousand comic con hotel bar stories - was some kind of genius because he was suddenly getting 2000AD and 2000AD creators TV coverage. It eventually dawned that all this coverage was basically on the same late-night London show, and that someone on the show was probably part of Igor's eventful social life.

Leigh S

Yeah, there is a fair amount of 2000AD/Brit comic adjacent Night Network material out there, so I wouldnt be at all surprised - Pat and Kev, Gaiman and McKean... there is a hilarious attempt by the presenter here to get up in the grill of UFO singer about doing charity gigs if you wwatch to the end... he handles it pretty well I think, not rising to some of the inane and baiting questioning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjjnIfwhnwM&t=442s

Pat and Kev

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnRKYULAabE

Funt Solo

I appreciate that they're trying their best, but the production of the show reminds me of Nozin' Aroun' from The Young Ones.

Thanks for the summary of Bad Company 2002: I must have read it at the time but those brain cells have been overwritten with new data.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

Pete Milligan is 2000AD's George Lucas.

JayzusB.Christ

I remember that interview (from YouTube though, not the original telly one).  Back then, for a very fleeting moment, it was cool to be a young comics creator, and Pete Milligan was milking the rock star thing for all it was worth.  You didn't even call them 'comics' back then: if it wasn't a graphic novel it was a magazine.

Pete was basically Swifty without the dreads, wasn't he?  With a touch of Hap Hazzard thrown in.

EDIT: Bad Company 2002 was quite bad.  Silly script that ruined the ending of the Krool Heart,  and, while I had no idea about the nightmare poor old Brett was going through at the time, it is unfortunately reflected in the artwork.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Patrick

Separated at birth: Pete Milligan and Milo Yiannopoulos?

Patrick

Or: Neil Gaiman and Ben Elton?