Main Menu

DREDD screenwriter Alex Garland answers YOUR questions!

Started by Molch-R, 23 August, 2012, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norse_sage

Thanks to everyone for setting this up, congratulations to Goaty, Joe Sap, Sauchieboy and everyone else for their surprise cameo's and thanks most of all to Alex Garland for giving us a proper Judge Dredd movie.
Fingers and toes crossed it earns enough to bypass any and all sequel thresholds.

However, I too am concerned about the Garland quotes pointed out by Lee Bates, and their possible implications.

Goaty

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 24 August, 2012, 09:07:31 AM
So thrilled to the guys getting namechecked too, Goaty must be walking on air right now!

Very highest air! :)

Richmond Clements

IndigoPrime

Quote from: norse_sage on 24 August, 2012, 11:45:23 AMHowever, I too am concerned about the Garland quotes pointed out by Lee Bates, and their possible implications.
I wouldn't read too much into anything just yet. So far, I think the people behind the film are just being realistic: Dredd is an unknown quantity. It could easily enough become a lowish-budget hit, but it could also be a film that's highly regarded and gets a low box-office take. (Also, you never know what'll happen closer to release—it has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes now, but that could all change if critics start going nuts.) I love their enthusiasm for the material, but also respect Urban and Garland saying that if they just end up with one great film, that'll be good enough for them.

As for variables, that can mean anything, but it's not like Garland's the kind of person to swan off for a decade after writing a script. Just writing more scripts alone (and his point about returning next to a slower paced feature) could be what he meant. Regardless, I'm thoroughly looking forward to this film, more so as time goes on. And if this alone turns out to be this film generation's Dredd, so be it. At least the strip will have been properly on the big screen, rather than only having a terrible 1990s piece of garbage to its name.

Large48

So is it true that Dredd's going to be an extra on the Judge Minty DVD?

How great would it be to see Minty doing the Long Walk in the second film, you listening Alex?

Anyway looking forward to seeing this like we did 28 days later for all those that where there for that!

Good to see a load of posters up and about around the UK as well! Shirleys looking good!

All those tight wearing nancy boys can piss right off!  >:(

[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Mudcrab

What a thread!!!! Not something you see much, if ever, at all!

Great interview, great questions!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

darnmarr

Thank you very much Mr G for these words, and for everything, and congrats to Mr Soap's and others well-deserved praise, 'egg', and mentions: you deserve 'em chaps and its really great to see the board acknowleged like in this way (unprecedented, shirley?).

If Dredd doesn't break box-office records there is no justice.

Spaceghost

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 August, 2012, 12:55:33 PM
Quote from: norse_sage on 24 August, 2012, 11:45:23 AMHowever, I too am concerned about the Garland quotes pointed out by Lee Bates, and their possible implications.
I wouldn't read too much into anything just yet. So far, I think the people behind the film are just being realistic: Dredd is an unknown quantity. It could easily enough become a lowish-budget hit, but it could also be a film that's highly regarded and gets a low box-office take. (Also, you never know what'll happen closer to release—it has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes now, but that could all change if critics start going nuts.) I love their enthusiasm for the material, but also respect Urban and Garland saying that if they just end up with one great film, that'll be good enough for them.

As for variables, that can mean anything, but it's not like Garland's the kind of person to swan off for a decade after writing a script. Just writing more scripts alone (and his point about returning next to a slower paced feature) could be what he meant. Regardless, I'm thoroughly looking forward to this film, more so as time goes on. And if this alone turns out to be this film generation's Dredd, so be it. At least the strip will have been properly on the big screen, rather than only having a terrible 1990s piece of garbage to its name.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just so desperate to see that Dredd trilogy happen. Even if it doesn't, everything points to us having a fucking blinder of a film to look forward to.

Roll on September 7th!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: Large48 on 24 August, 2012, 12:56:40 PM
Good to see a load of posters up and about around the UK as well! Shirleys looking good!

I think you'll find the name is Marion  ;)

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: norse_sage on 24 August, 2012, 11:45:23 AM
Thanks to everyone for setting this up, congratulations to Goaty, Joe Sap, Sauchieboy and everyone else for their surprise cameo's and thanks most of all to Alex Garland for giving us a proper Judge Dredd movie.
Fingers and toes crossed it earns enough to bypass any and all sequel thresholds.

However, I too am concerned about the Garland quotes pointed out by Lee Bates, and their possible implications.

If it hits that magical $50 mill in us theaters its a green light ?
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty) on 24 August, 2012, 03:51:42 PM
Quote from: norse_sage on 24 August, 2012, 11:45:23 AM

If it hits that magical $50 mill in us theaters its a green light ?
Well no - I think he explains clearly that this is not the case, and that there are many other factors we are not privy to that need to be taken into account.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 24 August, 2012, 03:55:11 PM
Well no - I think he explains clearly that this is not the case, and that there are many other factors we are not privy to that need to be taken into account.

Quite. In fact, I read Alex' comments on this to be fairly clearly stating that $50M was the minimum requirement for a sequel, and that there could be many, many variables in the equation that could scupper a sequel, but failure to reach $50M in the US would make a sequel near-impossible to sell to an American distributor, and that would be game over.

Thrilled as I am by everything we've seen of the movie so far, I actually find myself leaning far more towards the possibilities of this little bit of speculation:

QuoteI actually think that maybe the best way forward for Dredd is television. American TV has completely rewritten the rule book where filmed drama is concerned. Game Of Thrones/The Wire/Breaking Bad... An equivalent version of Dredd would be fucking great. Imagine the epics...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Zarjazzer

What? No Zarjazzer block?  Seriously has been grand how Alex G has answered the questions. I can'! Feel anything other than joy  that so many boarders are featured  in the film.  Who'd have thought it?  Super stuff.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Banners

Great stuff - thanks to Molch-R and Alex for making that happen! What a treat to get such considered and incisive replies. My excitement for the movie surely can't get any higher now!

The Sherman Kid

What an absolute star Alex Garland is, his passion and enthusiasm shines through.A very considerate and thoughtful man.
I can well understand his caution on any possible sequels, hopefully success at the box office will quickly dispel this.