Main Menu

Prog 2083 - Fame in the fifth dimension

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 May, 2018, 01:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Robin Smith draws a mean Cate Blanchett!

Frank

Mean Cate Blanchett has a dial on her forehead; on 1, she's Galadriel, but she can turn it all the way up to Carol.

[1]

We've all been very patient, but this week's Skip Tracer settles the question of whether it's subverting dick-lit archetypes or perpetuating them. Nothing objectively wrong with that, I suppose, and Paul Marshall's giving the material everything he's got.

To run two strips where gumshoes with troubled pasts hit-up informants on the trail of a Maltese Maguffin[2] may be considered unfortunate; to run three seems like carelessness.

As with Skip Tracer, Ben Wilsher and Jake Lynch's art make that which is old new again. The former adding new tricks to an already full box I'd have been happy for him to dip into for the rest of his career, the latter making the transition from Plucky Tryer we're all rooting for to Assured Professional look easy.

Six months after Last Jedi's salt planet, is Alec (Curley) Worley really taking us to Sugar World? [3]

[1] The influence of Mark Millar on 2000ad continues to be felt to this day.

[2] Literally Find the Lady, in the case of Durham Red and Skip Tracer.

[3] Better than Spice World. Little Red ends up locked in Ma Harris's oven as punishment for eating pieces of her gingerbread house.

Albion

Shouldn't the cover be in the IP infringement thread?
They are selling a comic using other companies IP aren't they?  ;)😄
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Frank

I'm guessing the average interval between script submission and print is around six months:

I'm sure Rose would say the shape of that block reminds her of her wedding night.

TordelBack

A few minor reservations this week, but this remains an excellent line-up, every story holding my interest.

Survival Geeks the clear winner for me this week, Cover of the Year, and such a gorgeously drawn, amusing and neatly told episode.  Just what the Doctor ordered.   

Deadworld seems to get unnecessarily specific this week, about things perhaps best left vague, and I'm not sure such an ever-growing cast suits Kendall's work: expecting this to get trimmed soon though!

Durham Red continues to impress, not a big fan of the photo-realistic effects on Harris, but Willsher carries it off.

Skip Tracer... it reads well, and looks great, but it still seems to be reaching for its own identity.  Certainly willing to extend it a bit more grace.

Over in Dredd, wouldn't the Judges normally identify themselves when breaking in a door, to avoid precisely the situation Lugo claims?  Meanwhile, back in the past, where the Public Defender Droids and slick Attorneys that occasionally bedevil Dredd have yet to be invented, the cliffhanger stand-off seems relegated to an uncharacteristically pokey last panel from Lynch.  A good yarn though.

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 30 May, 2018, 08:27:17 PM

Mean Cate Blanchett has a dial on her forehead; on 1, she's Galadriel, but she can turn it all the way up to Carol.

"Drokk!  Dial's stuck on Col. Dr. Spalko!  She's in a scenery-chewing frenzy!"

norton canes

I don't think I'm gonna go over each strip separately. I'll just say that this is the most enjoyable prog I've read since coming back to the fold 15 months ago. Everything is firing.

If last week was Durham Red's prog then this week Survival Geeks rule the roost. That cover! Did we work out who the two guys on the left are, holding things over their shoulders? Also is there any significance to Jace Darkmatter being spelled 'Jase Darkmater'?

Dandontdare

Quote from: norton canes on 31 May, 2018, 09:49:48 AMDid we work out who the two guys on the left are, holding things over their shoulders?

That one's been bugging me too!

Taryn Tailz

Is that Kamelion from Doctor Who standing to the left of Austin Powers?

TordelBack

Tjm86

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dandontdare on 31 May, 2018, 01:54:27 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 31 May, 2018, 09:49:48 AMDid we work out who the two guys on the left are, holding things over their shoulders?
That one's been bugging me too!
They're all about time (or dimensional) travel? It's the two guys from Primer.
We never really die.

Leigh S

So we've done Survival Geeks are just the Scooby gang? Nerd genius in glasses, slacker, animal sidekick, cute couple (though I really can't work out what the strip is saying about their non relationship - this story eems to be saying it is frustrated by them both wanting it to happen but then making obtuse logical leaps regarding the behaviour of child cosplayers that lead them to temporarily hate each other - kids today....)

sheridan

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 01 June, 2018, 12:39:06 AM
Did anybody mention Ash yet?

Er, yes - the very first cameo to be mentioned *ahem*