Main Menu

Prog 2016 - Texas Hold 'em!

Started by flip-r mk2, 28 January, 2017, 01:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

The prog's great at the moment - and love the cover!

Pegasus P Artichoke

Another great prog

Really like the cover, bright and colourful

Dredd is going along nicely, change in the artist is conflicting as I was loving the art before but Flint doing Dredd is never a bad thing

Kingmaker Iam really enjoying, continues to be a joy to read

Hope is still blowing me away, sad to see its taking a break but at least it ends on a cracking cliffhanger.

The Order still has me hooked and on board

Kingdom is one of my new favourites so I enjoyed this

All in all another top notch prog

Loved all the strips and can't wait for next week
We'll give them back their heroes

TordelBack

Some great stuff under a  terrific cover this week, not a bad panel in there.

Dredd has me scratching my head a bit this week (muties in Texas City? Extreme DNA analysis? Brass in a MC1 uniform?)) but a neat character in Paradox and a great chase sequence from Flint.  Hoping for great things from Duke's dad!

Hope has a terrific if unwelcome mid-series cliffhanger. I'm so pleased that the very talented Adams has found his own place in the prog after all his good work on existi characters, and any opportunity to look at Broxton's art is a great.

The Order embraces the madness as only it can.  Reading it, I imagine smoke pouring out of Nigel's typewriter as he bashes the keys at Superman-speed muttering "And then ANOTHER Ritterstahl appears and then ANOTHER Ritterstahl appears and then...", on and on into the night. Marvelous stuff.

Kingdom by contrast is a model of restraint, as far as any strip about genetically engineered dogs ripping each others' throats out in the cryosleep store of a space station can be. Brilliantly sustained tension amongst the scrapping of that day.

And finally Kingmaker starts to wear down my defences, with Gallagher's superb elf designs imbuing the pastiche with a welcome bit of weight. For the first time this world seems to offer more than just a nudge-nudge wink-wink spoof with added aliens.Whether this is just the art doing the work remains to be seen.

Magnetica

I have really warmed to Hope and Kingmaker in the last couple of weeks. Jimmy Broxton's art is just fab. Not seen anything by him before given I don't read other comics. Shame Hope is now going on a break.

As for The Order...sorry I just can't keep track of who is who anymore, which Ritterstahl is which. I'm sure it all makes sense in the author's head, but it is losing me even more than The Order normal does, and that is saying something.

Great cover -again.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 February, 2017, 10:24:44 AM

Kingdom by contrast is a model of restraint, as far as any strip about genetically engineered dogs ripping each others' throats out in the cryosleep store of a space station can be....

This sentence, (with my emphasis added with italics) is the very definition of why 2000ad is in fact the Galaxy's greatest comic.

Pop Culture Bandit

Bit of a surprise re: Henry Flint taking over on Dredd, and the sudden hiatus for Hope, but this was a strong Prog and that episode of Kingdom was amazing.

Check out our review here:
http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/2017/02/2000ad-prog-2016.html

NapalmKev

Good Prog, enjoyed all of the stories. It's taken me awhile to warm to Kingdom. The art has always been top notch, but I did miss the beginning of the tale as it started during my long-walk* many years ago.

Special shout-out to Hope. It started well and I'd love to see more sometime soon.

Cheers

*Bringing order to the Southwest rad-zones and fighting off hoards of mutants who only say the phrase "Ooo Arrr".
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Rara Avis

Just came back to say that I love Hope and was so disappointed the run ended so quickly.
I can't wait for it to return.

I find it to be a really interesting story and the dark artwork fits the noir vibe.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Richard on 29 January, 2017, 03:12:56 PM
Hope is the best new strip in ages; I hope (sorry) it's not too long before it returns.

Couldn't agree more. Just finished this prog and the mini Hope run. What a great little story this is and the artwork suits it wonderfully. I'd go so far that its the best use of Black and white in the prog since D'Israili's Stickleback and Trevellions Absalom... strangely enough two of my recent favorites.

Hope gives a nod and a wink to familiar paths trod in a fairly unashamed fashion, but the groundwork here is superb and the stories rich in both plot and subplot and of course Broxtons Gumshoe Noir settings.

Looking forward to it's return, which must be soon now...