Main Menu

Prog 2023 - Punch It

Started by hippynumber1, 18 March, 2017, 01:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 March, 2017, 03:47:07 PM
Its just here the two thrills I was most looking forward to were a little too opening episodey.

And to think I used to respect you  ;)

So sorry TMO didn't use Sock it to 'em JD! on the cover but that's one for us soul boys I guess  :D

Nerve Centre:
Damage Report is just that... still you'd think TMO would just lift off into space and that would clear the tubes Shirley? That list of up and coming thrills doesn't do it for me I'm afraid, where's the GRennie Droid when you need him?

JD: great one off story, only one snipe, I wished JD had used the perps name a couple of times before the reveal page, just to reinforce the punch line. Still you have to love The Squirrel's MC1.

Brink: Left me cold last time but has intrigued me this time, great re-intro and artwork perfect for the story.

Futureshock: Good stuff and highly enjoyable, art reminded me of Harry on the high rock, no bad thing.

Scarlet Traces: Top thrill of the Prog: One panel gives us... Is that Jonathan Ross representing Rutland? Peter Sellers is back in the Duchy of Grand Fenwick, not sure who's representing Pimlico but glad they made it through their troubles, and would love to see the nameplate under the speech bubble as that's maybe Khrushchev? Eamonn help us!

Edginton's love of Orrery is on display and the perfectly formed Matt Brooker doesn't let him down. 

And a vast complex story that, ahem, certain writers would take book after book after intro page book, to tell, the wonderful Edginton get it across in four pages with Matt B making it seem effortless. That last page is a cracker too.

there's a (thankfully Butt'man free) letters page, where has he got too? back in the pokey?

Deadworld continues to tell us the world is dying and D'Erth and his chums kill em all... where's the suspense? what an I missing?

Nice ad for next week's tale of a giant Rabbit in MC1  ;)

DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Quote from: Proudhuff on 20 March, 2017, 01:42:22 PM

Deadworld continues to tell us the world is dying and D'Erth and his chums kill em all... where's the suspense? what an I missing?

It's all gone a bit "walking dead"  - you know it's the apocalypse, but let's see how grim we can make the fight against the inevitable. It's about the journey, not the destination.

Pyroxian

Is that Jonathan Ross representing Rutland?

I thought it was Eric Idle...

Dandontdare

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 March, 2017, 04:24:02 PM
The future shock was good, especially the art. Looks like the Thoughtbubble competition can provide a good source of new talent for the comic (see for instance what Tom Foster had to say about it at his 40th panel.)

Aha, I thought it seemed familiar but I was sure I hadn't seen the imagery before - glad I'm not going mad!

Cracking one shot for Dredd - echoes of "lock her up" coming back to bite a certain president!
Chuffed at the return of Scarlet Traces.
Brink isn't my fave strip, but it's enjoyable enough so no complaints there
And I loooove Deadworld - the only thing that grates slightly is the sarcastic bike computer (I mean ... why?)

JamesC

So how come Cliff Robinson doesn't live in a glittering tower where he counts the money he's been paid for doing Batman covers?
Not that I'm complaining or anything. The longer he stays chained to the drawing board in Tharg's cellar, the better.

Magnetica

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 March, 2017, 02:44:53 PM

And I loooove Deadworld - the only thing that grates slightly is the sarcastic bike computer (I mean ... why?)

That's one of the best bits about it IMHO!

dweezil2

Quote from: Magnetica on 20 March, 2017, 03:54:09 PM

Same here.

Malfunctioning A.I is the concept I guess.

I like it, it adds a litle levity to the otherwise grim proceedings.  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

dweezil2

Quote from: JamesC on 20 March, 2017, 03:26:47 PM
So how come Cliff Robinson doesn't live in a glittering tower where he counts the money he's been paid for doing Batman covers?
Not that I'm complaining or anything. The longer he stays chained to the drawing board in Tharg's cellar, the better.

Cliff Robinson is not allowed to leave to work for DC or Marvel ever!

He is too cherished a droid to lose to those corporate behemoths!

Tharg, chain him to his easel and never let him go!!!!!  :lol:   

Dandontdare

Quote from: dweezil2 on 20 March, 2017, 03:59:06 PM

Same here.

I like it, it adds a little levity to the otherwise grim proceedings.  :)

I think that's my trouble - it isn't a strip that suits levity! Also, I'm unsure why a biological/magical/mass murder apocalypse would cause a bike to develop a bizarre wisecracking personality

Magnetica

It's Machine Learning - a fundamental part of AI (as per the state of the industry right now!)

Tomwe

Loved the Future Shock - the artist struck me as a mid period Stuart Immonen crossed with modern Simon Coleby. Which is a good thing! More from this droid please  :thumbsup:

dweezil2

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 March, 2017, 04:07:56 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 20 March, 2017, 03:59:06 PM

Same here.

I like it, it adds a little levity to the otherwise grim proceedings.  :)

I think that's my trouble - it isn't a strip that suits levity! Also, I'm unsure why a biological/magical/mass murder apocalypse would cause a bike to develop a bizarre wisecracking personality

Oh I don't know.
The Dark Judges, even in their earliest days, had their moments of wisecrackery-even if it was of the blackest kind.  :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 March, 2017, 03:47:07 PM
Its just here the two thrills I was most looking forward to were a little too opening episodey.

And to think I used to respect you  ;)

Well I was never kidding myself it could ever last!

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 18 March, 2017, 02:09:35 PM
I see what you mean but on the other hand

Yeah, I'm not seeing that as a plot hole myself.