Main Menu

MEGAZINE 216

Started by Darryl, 07 February, 2004, 07:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smiley

did Nemesis stop off in Mega City and have a word in his shell-like?

I blame Helter Skelter.

The Amstor Computer

Pete - heh! That line stood out a mile for me, too. For all his moaning about other writers respecting his creations, Pat seems to be shitting all over Dredd in this story...

Proudhuff

Ma Twabobs worth:

Cover great should sell!

editors letter : I too remember Giant's death as a shock. That was when 2000ad got shot of characters like they had new ones in the wings unlike...

Death. Who has now finished on a high note with fabby art+story, now lets leave him where(ever) he is, finneto, gone, never to return, Norwegian Blueified, closuuure as they say. Move along please nothing to see.

Dread story, as with all the best Dredd stories the Meg and the Citz are the stars, the Judges but mere players, but mark my words there are dark deeds ahead.

WEHT Gaint. Nice use o' B&W, classic stlye of Blocks as well, good to see somebody reaches old age in the Meg. Shineys!(smurk)

Bloody Dinos, never liked dinostories, don't like Dredd with extra chins and stubble, can't be arsed with technobabble/dark matter etc and i don't think Dredd would would suffer Locker room banter either.Kill off this tired old dino and let's move along please!

Gold Giant: IMHO this is how to correctly draw, structure and deliver Dredd, maybe a bit heavy on the pallete tho', great to have an entire story in one issue, might bring in the Juves.

Charleys War. Pat Mills at his best I feel, and Colquhoun art work's a dream, all that white and ity still feels manky.

Dredd files. A few memories here, but a bit too  fanboy fir me.

Half life/ Anderson.  enjoyable but I can't help but think of Mazeworld...

Over all great stuff just let Smoochiesarus lie down and die once and for all

Huff

DDT did a job on me

W. R. Logan

>Wasnt it a big deal when Frank Millar submitted the dredd cover with facial hair? How does "Duke Mighten" get away with it? He looks like my gran!

The big deal wasn?t the facial hair, just the fact that the cover was complete crap.

http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/gallery/Miller_Dredd.jpg>

La Placa Rifa,
http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/>W. R. Logan.

http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/images/Co79_logo.gif>

+rufus+

I remember going into 2000s ol' office in Tavistock Square and David Bish and DigL showing me the Miller cover..I really thought it was ajoke, and that someone else had drawn it, sadly....
Great Rico[backslash]Giant story Mr Rennie! Ya nearly had me in tears.
 An' great to see Master Ezquerra Giant, when he still hand coloured.

thrillpowerseeker

HoHoHo..I see Rennie doesnt get to 'Vent his spleen' in 216..is this a suspension? or will he be back next month pronouncing that Dredd is a virgin with a mysoginist attitude towards women?...
Prodigal was a good story.. though I think we knew who the bad guys were in this one Mr Davis without the 'Hitler Tashes' helpful hint..

whtg..Tied up a loose end nicely..young Giant looks like hes been on a crash course of roids in the space of a page

Satanus..Picked up a lot this month..especially with the merovingian/blacknobility links..Good old Mills, he knows his way around obscure euro schlock

Bit disappointed with the fact that most of gold was given over to young giant..since i'd just re-read it about 5 days before the meg got here..Charleys War was trench warfare chlaustraphobia at its grimmest..superb stuff

Hell I'd almost forgotten about Dredds stint on the moon..this one has made want to dig out the earlies from the loft again for a re-read..I vaguely recollect a redneck judge and a Howard Hughes figure..

Gonna re-read Death-wilderness again sometime..Ive already forgot who the figure in white on the horse is and the ending is a bit lame                                                                                                Anderson is the best thing in the meg at the mo..no contest                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

thrillpowerseeker

HoHoHo..I see Rennie doesnt get to 'Vent his spleen' in 216..is this a suspension? or will he be back next month pronouncing that Dredd is a virgin with a mysoginist attitude towards women?...
Prodigal was a good story.. though I think we knew who the bad guys were in this one Mr Davis without the 'Hitler Tashes' helpful hint..

whtg..Tied up a loose end nicely..young Giant looks like hes been on a crash course of roids in the space of a page

Satanus..Picked up a lot this month..especially with the merovingian/blacknobility links..Good old Mills, he knows his way around obscure euro schlock

Bit disappointed with the fact that most of gold was given over to young giant..since i'd just re-read it about 5 days before the meg got here..Charleys War was trench warfare chlaustraphobia at its grimmest..superb stuff

Hell I'd almost forgotten about Dredds stint on the moon..this one has made want to dig out the earlies from the loft again for a re-read..I vaguely recollect a redneck judge and a Howard Hughes figure..

Gonna re-read Death-wilderness again sometime..Ive already forgot who the figure in white on the horse is and the ending is a bit lame                                                                                                Anderson is the best thing in the meg at the mo..no contest                                                                                              Half life is obviously Mortis....you wait and see MrC..                                                                                                                                                              

DavidXBrunt

Not much more to add other than to ask was that Manx McAndles being strangled by Rico in the Meg?

And Dredd WAS in the lead story, we saw his hands holding the baby.

GordonR

>>HoHoHo..I see Rennie doesnt get to 'Vent his spleen' in 216..is this a suspension?

Don't flatter yourself.

The column (and other regular feature stuff like the Interrogation Cube interview) was dropped this ish because Blood of Satanus was three pages longer this month, to make up for it being three pages too short last month.

IndigoPrime

The "controversy" is more to do with consistency. Dredd (at least Wagner's version) hates Judges not looking their best, and hates facial hair. Therefore, when he has a beard/stubble he looks like a hypocrite.

IndigoPrime

I wonder if there's any chance of making this 11 pages shorter next month? It really is garbage, and a disappointment after a promising opening episode.

However, I am very impressed with the fact that Mills seems to have access to a time machine: after all, the story reads like Dredd from 1979.

W. R. Logan

>The "controversy" is more to do with consistency. Dredd (at least Wagner's version) hates Judges not looking their best, and hates facial hair. Therefore, when he has a beard/stubble he looks like a hypocrite.

As we know Dredd is a stickler, for Dress, conduct and the application of the law. We also know that at times Dredd patrols the streets for days at a time before booking time in a sleep machine or having to take his mandatory 8 hours off. If he?s out on the streets dispensing Justice and breaking heads I doubt if even the great man is going to stop for a quick shave, but as soon as time allows or at the beginning of any shift I bet he leaves his hab shaved as close as a baby?s bum.

La Placa Rifa,
http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/>W. R. Logan.

http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/images/Co79_logo.gif>

My name is Dredd. You May have heard of me.
I'm a stickler.
A stickler for dress - for conduct - for the correct administration of the Law.
A bad attitude to one betrays a bad attitude to the others.
I will not tolerate Bad Attitude.
I know of no greater honour than to serve as a Judge of Mega-City One.
It is a privilege granted to only a few, but it is a privilege we must continue to earn.
If there are those among you who no longer feel capable of carrying out their duties in the manner required, I will be accepting resignations in my office.
I've kept you long enough.

The Pit Prog 970

Oddboy

Megazine

Dredd (not that he was in it) - excellent piece from Gordon here, nicely showing the differences & similarities between Giant/Dredd, Giant/Rico & Rico/Dredd.  What could have resulted in hard feelings & grudges, it was good to see the two acting with the professionalism that singled them out as top-notch judges in the first place.  Great to see Rico back in action.

WHT...Giant? - another good one here. Not much to say really, other then I enjoyed it, touching as it was.
Gordon, are you going to kill everyone you WHT..?

Blood of Satanus - I dunno - this is tr?s fromage. Can't tell if it's still good underneath or not. Didn't like the reference to Nemesis - how would Dredd have known what occured then? Just Mills trying to *claim* everything.

Skipped GOLD! for the moment - I read Young Giant fairly recently, and I'll get round to Charley's War when I get time.

Judge Death - blindingly good episode - is this a final fatality for the foul fiend?

Well, not exactly - because he's already back in
Anderson, PSI - also very good.  It's almost as if Grant & Wagner are in some type of evil chess game with their characters...
JW: Ha! Death's put Anderson in a coma (again)
AG: Hmm! Anderson retreats into a subconscious parallel world to face Judge Death
JW: Ha! I've killed Death forever!
AG: Ahh! But he's still okay in Anderson's subconscious!

No Rennie column this month, bah!

Letters page, I don't tend to read this anymore - mainly because there's *never* any replies from the editor. However I did notice that Keane was making a complete Keane of himself by trying to re-write Gordon's column from last month but with out the humour.

Better set your phaser to stun.

petemaskreplica

He probably waxes his chin :P

Alan Barnes

"Letters page, I don't tend to read this anymore - mainly because there's *never* any replies from the editor. "

Well, hardly ever. I only reply to letters if I've anything valuable to add - eg a statement of policy, correction, craven apology or answer to a direct question of interest to the readership as a whole (think I did the lot during the 'is Darkie's Mob racist?' debate). But generally, I feel I have my say on the other 99 pages - a letters page is the readers' space, and I hate seeing them diluted with sarcasm, aren't-we-better-than-you-plebs posing and/or editorial self-justification. (A Betelgeusian doing it is quite different from some fartypants editor, obviously.)

Quite passionate about this one, actually!

--Alan