Main Menu

MEG 219

Started by skull.ring, 03 May, 2004, 11:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skull.ring

UkDane - Phew - I'm getting paranoid as my post has been a nightmare recently. Hopefully the prog will turn up today.

Blackblood - The poster prog is a 6 page "Funeral for a Friend" vs Dredd story - I thought it was quite amusing.

Quirkafleeg

Meg, no prog too!

DavidXBrunt

Not a prog in sight. Interesting mini music theme to the Meg this month. Three stories with comedy songs, music band tie-in poster prog, Pop Idol Dredd. Haven't read Charlies War in months but there's probably a cheery song used for ironic contrasting purposes in there too.

Max Kon

loved the poster

Pete Wells

What's going on with Ridgeway's art? It's absolutely dire!

Pete.

thrillpowerseeker

Ridgeways art dire??..two words....Siku Dredd

Pete Wells

It's just sad to see the genius who gave me The Dead Man, an all time high in the history of Dredd in my opinion, something that looks like he's vomited all over the page then stuck really, really, bad 3D spaceships on. It's dire in a early 90's just-getting-to-grips-with-computer-colouring type of way!

Yuck!

Pete.

therev

Got to admit the new computer stuff Ridgeways doing is dire.
Actually the whole Meg's prity dull except for Charley's War.

chrisr

Cover: Ok, nice composition

Dredd: Somebody get John Ridgway away from that computer!

Middenface: Enjoyable if a little forgettable, needs more distinctive artwork. The muties don't look interesting enough.

Mean Machine: Ok story but the artwork is a bit on the shoddy side.

The Gribligs: Very funny, this must set some sort of record for amount of sex acts being performed on a single comic book page:) Great art from Steve Roberts and nice to see his version of Dredd.

Black Siddha: Beautifiul art and I'm steadily getting more in to the story. A grower.

Reprints: Quality stuff all round.

Cheers,

crr

Satanist

Ah the Megs here,lets see how its doing...

The Cover : Cant say Im that impressed
Dredd : Christ almighty,what the hells the 1st page all about?Computer images,photos & drawings collide in a horrific pile up of a picture.
Ignoring the art the story seems to be shaping up well.Yer mans gone bananas aint he.

Middenface : Ah've bin tryin tae squeeze Sawney intae a future shock uv ma ain so its good tae see the man here.

Mean : Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Whatever? : I cant remember the original story but this was quite amusing.

Black Siddha : This 2nd series is really growing on me.

Charleys War : Trudges onwards,ever onwards.Its good but a bit heavy handed(due to its age I imagine).

Overall its ok,not the greatest but not the worst either.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Oddboy

Dredd, sheesh; what bastards.  Had to double check that this wasn't Alan Grant writing - Harsh but Fair this isn't! Crackin' action though.

Whatever happened to... I don't remember the Gribligs - but this story is fantastic!

Mean Machine - Great fun

McNulty - good fun

Not read the rest.
Better set your phaser to stun.

W. R. Logan

Cover: Not the greatest cover ever, reckon it took Graham Rolfe longer to do his design wizardry on it that it took to draw.

Dredd: Enjoying the story and wish I could say something positive about John Ridgway?s art but as much as I usually like his work the synthesis of pen & pixel just doesn?t work. The computer images and textures just detract from the artwork and don?t add anything to the page.

Young Middenface: Nice story but it?s the artwork that gets my main plaudits. Goddard & Teague are simply the best art team working for the house of Tharg.

Mean Machine: Enjoyable romp.

WHT: The Gribligs?: Great to see the return of The Gribligs from Prog 464 ? 465. Good to see Steve Roberts doing something other than Bec & Kawl.

Black Siddha: Ok, do I say it and set myself up for the wrath of Pats fans that take every non-positive review as a personal insult worthy of a few virgins being sacrificed over a weird stone. I don?t like it, don?t get and once again feel like I?m being preached to.

The Dredd Files: I?m a Dredd anorak so I enjoy this, sure there must be plenty of people who don?t but for me it works.

Charley?s War: Great, keep it coming. Brought back a few memories.

Hell Trekkers: I know that I?m not the only one; there are plenty of others who feel the guilt that I do when they stand up and say that they like the Hell Trekkers. Its one of those stories that aren?t supposed to be very good, that always feature in the worst stories that Tharg has ever commissioned polls, but we?re ashamed, we follow the crowd in saying that its not a good strip. Secretly, we reread it, we may know someone else who feels the same way, but now its time to be counted and say, ?I like the Hell Trekkers!?

Gordon Rennie: Another bucket of bile from the Stella quaffing script droid, love it or hate it the monthly column certainly gets a comment or two. I?m in the like it camp, but that may say more for my twisted squaddie humour than anything else.

Metro Dredd: After seeing a couple I?m not that bothered now that I cant get the Metro as it seems that I?m not missing much.

A good Meg, plenty to like but for me the real hero of Meg 219 and many others has to be the Droid that ensures that your monthly dose of Hell Trekkers & Charley?s War has clean backgrounds. The droid that spends ages colouring in Ronald McDonalds face so that the 180lb Judge Burger cover can be reprinted in the Dredd Files. Lets here it for the droid that wont feature in many threads about the Meg when were discussing artists, writers and dissecting thrills but who without we?d be going on about how crap stuff looks, take a bow Kathryn Symes, Repro Assistant Droid.

La Placa Rifa,
http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/>W. R. Logan.

http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/images/Co79_logo.gif>

wrighty47

The cover: Nah! Kiss ma ring!?? Oh dear!

Dredd: Me like. A western with the Judges as the 7th Cavalry and the muties as the indians.

Middenface: Sorry, just not enjoying it this time round. A musical/farce just ain't my thing I guess.

Mean: It's alright! Nothing I couldn't live without.

The Gribligs. Not bad! I did like the ending.

Black Siddha: Nice art. Didn't care for the story. Found myself losing interest halfway through.

Charley's War: I'm sorry but I love this. Great art and a great cliffhanger! It's highly regarded for a reason imho.

Hell Trekkers: I'm with Logan here. I never got why I wasn't suppossed to like Hell Trekkers. It's great old skool stuff. Lotsa death, lots Cursed Earth, lotsa dinosaurs. What's not to like!

Metro Dredd: Read this one in the Metro. S'alright.

Poster Dredd: I enjoyed this, despite the obvious plot holes (which have already been mentioned). I really liked the art. A nice little extra.

Overall, not the best Meg of the run. Held together by quality reprints and a good lead story.

Alan!

DavidXBrunt

Two very good points made there, Whitey.

Well done Kathryn.

And though I've never read it before and didn't know it was meant to be drokk...

I like the Helltreckers.

Oddboy

The computer images and textures just detract from the artwork and don?t add anything to the page.

I like to call this: "Ridgy-digi".
Better set your phaser to stun.