Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General / Re: Space Spinner 2000AD
« Last post by Steve Green on Today at 01:43:00 pm »
Definitely Scientology in Ace Trucking.
Film & TV / Re: Inside No. 9 (BBC2)
« Last post by Dark Jimbo on Today at 01:38:04 pm »
Definately my favourite of this series so far. Delightfully gruesome; very twisty-turny and laugh-out-loud funny at points, too! Exactly what you want, really.

Also loved that the 'No.9' was a plotpoint!
Off Topic / Re: The Political Thread
« Last post by The Legendary Shark on Today at 01:32:38 pm »
You don't support the president, our Commander in Chief and leader of the free world? What are you, some kind of anti-freedom, America-hating terrorist?

(Shoot the first one to stop clapping.)

Film & TV / Re: GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES
« Last post by JLC on Today at 01:23:36 pm »
Still really boring with dull characters & stories. Do the creators actually have a clear idea where this show is going?

I’d check the settings on my TV, if I were you.

It seems to be picking up 20-plus year-old episodes of Star Trek Voyager.
OMG Please don't remind me of that!
Off Topic / Re: The Political Thread
« Last post by JayzusB.Christ on Today at 01:17:36 pm »

Have you spoken to all of the millions of Trump supporters? do you know them personally? I'm no Trump supporter, but I wouldn't go as far as describing them collectively as a disgrace to humanity. Try not being so dogmatic, speak to people, try to understand other peoples views, and what has led them to adhere to those views. Generalising... I thought we were passed that?

Can you help out then? I'm not joking.  I've struggled and failed to understand why people would continue to support this bigoted, self-obsessed, sociopathic man-child, in the face of all his undeniable lies, boorishness and prejudice.  The best I've heard is 'he's not Hilary Clinton'.  Not good enough for me - I really could do with a decent explanation.

Off Topic / Re: RIPs
« Last post by sheridan on Today at 01:12:06 pm »
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by manwithnoname on Today at 01:08:33 pm »
It  The effects were well done and it was satisfactorily creepy throughout.  I did have some problems with the film.  The loud blasts of noise were awful.  They took me out of the film and just ruined the effect.  Some of the kid characters were poorly fleshed out as well and I found it difficult to connect to the group as a whole because of this.  Because of this, the bleak tone of the film ended up being too bleak for me.  The horrible adults everywhere, the bullies and IT were too much antagonism for me because it wasn't offset by enough levity and/or likeable characters.  I just found it hard to get invested and the tone was just tiring me out.  I mean this wasn't the case throughout the film but it happened enough for me to start feeling bored and just wanting it to wrap up.  That all being said, it was a good film that has a lot going for it.

My opinion on the film is probably skewed because I have a fond place in my heart for the mini-series.  Specifically the kids sections.  Ever since watching it as a kid, viewing the mini-series has always had me very much invested in what the characters are doing and the danger that seems to be ever present.  I know the adult sections of the mini-series are far from great, but they had their charm (for me, at least).

Comparing the two I can't say I prefer the film over the mini-series and as it currently stands with only one film, I'd probably choose watching the mini-series over the film.  I actually think that they are both as good as each other, because the film does some really great stuff.  It just fails more where the mini-series excelled and vice-versa. 

A second viewing of the film may change my opinion, now I know what to expect.  I might also need to rewatch the mini-series to check if nostalgia might be messing with my judgement too much.

I was a massive fan of the book when I was a kid (14 or whatever), and the characters and setting really resonated. I loved it and it also really scared me. There was so much detail, so much to take in, that it felt real.

And so the mini-series, while enjoyable, didn't come close to matching the book, even though Curry was excellent.

I haven't re-watched it, or re-read the book for decades, so I watched the film thinking it would be a relatively clean slate, but no. It all came flooding (floating?) back.

I thought it was great. Scary and immersive, and much better than the mini-series. But I do agree that the film, despite being "the first half" of the book, seemed to skim over some of the characters. I remembered more about Richie Tozier and Ben Hanscom from my memories of 30 years ago, than I got from the film, it was a long running time, but the introduction to each kid was a scary vignette, and that was about it.

Bev and Bill were the only ones who had any kind of depth on screen.

But I still thought it was very good, and Pennywise was great. Maybe the problem is, like with the (truncated) two-part miniseries, there is just TOO much book to film.

It would perhaps have been better served in a high-budget Netflix series over 8-10 episodes.
Games / Re: Nintendo Switch
« Last post by Satanist on Today at 12:25:10 pm »
I cant decide if that cardboard stuff is madness or genius but am glad that Nintendo can still surprise us with weird shit.

I'd prefer it if they could surprise us with some more games!

TBF I am very critical of Nintendo as software support is always their downfall however they smashed it last year. I'm interested to see whats due this year as they cant rely on the big guns.

I imagine that a re-release of smash bros is a given. Maybe combine the wii-u and 3ds for an ultimate bundle.
Off Topic / Re: Life is sometimes sort of okay because...
« Last post by Mister Pops on Today at 12:21:08 pm »
I made my own beer, sampled the first batch tonight. It's good. Don't have a hydrometer, so I don't know how strong it might be.

I own a TV. Make of that what you will

What did you brew?
As long as it tastes good that's all that matters.

Irish Red Ale*

I just used a kit, with a nag of malt and some priming sugar. It required more patience than skill to be honest.

*which doesn't get shortened to an acronym like IPA does.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10