Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

The running order is a bit odd, but having all three volumes now makes them easy to switch between without any trouble. Despite Gordon's misgivings, I enjoyed the early stories - yes the first two have virtually the same plot, but they establish the character well and the artwork is stunning. As Matt Smith's intro says, Promised Land is MM's version of The Cursed Earth, with tons of invention and great art. I've long been an admirer of John Ridgway's skill at building atmosphere, and Place of the Dead doesn't disappoint. A good trilogy of books with an order I can live with.

robert_ellis

Despite the odd running order I loved this volume. It's great to see a character get such a good send off with stellar Ridgway art to boot. A really good addition to this collection.

Michael Knight

Absolutely loved the Missionary Man volumes. Is that all the MM stories included now?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Michael Knight on 22 July, 2017, 09:40:05 PM
Absolutely loved the Missionary Man volumes. Is that all the MM stories included now?

Three short stories still unaccounted for, including a Harke and Burr crossover.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Michael Knight on 22 July, 2017, 09:40:05 PM

So this latest volume contains all the post 2000ad latter stories then? Specifically the John Ridgway finale?

Michael Knight

Thanks for update. This really annoys me when they miss out few episodes. Are the missing stories worth trying to track down?

Jade Falcon

I enjoyed this Missionary Man a lot more than the previous, but maybe rereading in proper order will help now.  Promised Land reminded me of a cross between Cursed Earth and Helltrekkers to be honest.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tomwe

With only 11 of the original 80 left to be announced on the Facebook page, I think there is only one book we don't know:
71- Tour Of Duty 1, 72- Independent Operators, 74- City Of The Damned, 75- Weird Science, 78- Stars of PSI Div, 79- Chopper.
Plus I believe we will get a Hark & Burr book mirroring Brit Cit Noir from Rebellion, one more Armitage, & Famous Monsters featuring John Hicklington. The gaps are vol 27 following Mean Machine, which will defo have Angel Gang content, and vol 70 which is clearly in the 'Mad City' anthology segment so could be anything.
I think the days of questions being answered with 'yes that's coming in volume x' on the Facebook page are over though.

The Monarch

vol 27 was confirmed to be a angel gang volume a while back

robert_ellis

I loved Insurrection having never read it before. I think I've said it so many time but Colin MacNeil has done so much amazing work for 2000ad. Hope Strange & Darke keep him busy or is it Defoe forever?

Tomwe

Quote from: robert_ellis on 27 July, 2017, 10:11:18 PM
I loved Insurrection having never read it before. I think I've said it so many time but Colin MacNeil has done so much amazing work for 2000ad. Hope Strange & Darke keep him busy or is it Defoe forever?
couldn't agree with you more Robert. Just finished the book last night and was blown away. I love both his styles too so the shift at the end didn't bother me.
I liked Dafoe, but prefer him on Dredd.

vark

Hi everyone!
Didn't know if it has been already asks, but is there a place on the web (apart ebay) where it can be possible to purchase back issues to be sent abroad (I live in France)?
I am after issue #63, brothers of the blood, but can find it on ebay or amazon.uk.
Thanks in advance.

abelardsnazz

Insurrection is thuddingly good space opera, with great stories, characters and art. Not much to add other than that I really enjoyed it.

With the extension of the MC, I did wonder whether the just-announced full 2000AD collection run would include much, if any, Dredd - apparently it will include some, with no overlap with the MC. I'd guess these will be stories where wider continuity doesn't matter too much, although the MC has by necessity included a number of these as well as the world-changing stuff.

abelardsnazz

Just listened to the latest Thrill-cast and there's some revelations from Tharg on there as to what will be included in the MC extension - I won't put any spoilers to give people a chance to listen.

Apestrife

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 09 August, 2017, 08:11:45 AM
Just listened to the latest Thrill-cast and there's some revelations from Tharg on there as to what will be included in the MC extension - I won't put any spoilers to give people a chance to listen.

Edit: Couldn't find it at first. The pod cast with Matt Smith, and details on Scream and Misty.

Wasn't out on sound cloud, just itunes.