Main Menu

Case Files or Mega Collection: Which one should I go with?

Started by Dodsy, 27 January, 2015, 12:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodsy

I've been slowly collecting the Dredd Case File (I'm up to #7 now) but I'm not sure if it's worth abandoning them and starting afresh with the Mega Collection.
They both have their appeals:

The Case Files is obviously EVERY Prog/ Meg story in order but ignoring the spin-off's, etc. Whilst the Mega Collection is touching all aspects of Dredds world and whilst not in order it appears as though each collection will include all the stories you need about that particular period (if the first volume is anything to go by).
The Case Files won't miss anything (one off's or short stories) whilst the Mega Collection might if it's only focusing on the epics (obviously we don't know what they plan to re-print at this stage) but will touch on other stories/ characters the Case Files won't.
The Mega Collection definitely has the better designed covers, these Black/ White and Red look really smart.
So what do my fellow boarders think? Case Files or Mega Collection?

(and before anyone suggests it, I can't afford both lol).
Twitter - @dodsy84

Richard

The Mega Collection covers are way better, but you can't just go by the covers. It will collect all the most important and popular stories, sure, but it will still have to leave out a lot of gems which you can only get in the Case Files. And the Case Files will include all of the Judge Dredd stories from the Mega Collection.

But do get America anyway, as it got left out of the Case Files.

And you may not be able to afford both series, but hopefully you can still get some of the non-Dredd volumes of the Mega Collection.

TordelBack

It depends on your interests, I suppose. 

If you want to read what should be the best of the Dreddworld stories, presented in stylish hardback, I'd go with the Mega-Collection, although you are submitting to someone else's idea of what is good-slash-essential, and there'll always be things you like which are missing or, for want of a better term, misfiled. 

If you want to see the evolution of the Dredd strip, warts, Steelgrave and all, and see the development of long-running plot threads in the context of everything else that was going on (Necropolis in the light of John Cassavetes is Dead, for example, and not just Bloodline), the Casefiles plus Restricted Files are the way to go.  However, you'll be left chasing up the loose ends (America, The Dead Man, Chopper, Taxidermist etc.) yourself, and you'll be waiting a fair old time for Origins to roll around, never mind Day of Chaos. 

On the subject of dress, the covers of the Mega Collection look like being hard to beat, but unless you really do tough it out for the whole set, Raptaur and all, the spines wouldn't be my choice - just one little number at the top, and (what would be) a mess of colour.

glassstanley

Case Files. The spin-offs are available as separate volumes (or floppies) anyway. The page size is larger than the Mega Collection, so you won't be squinting at the size of some of the lettering!

IndigoPrime

Quotethe spines wouldn't be my choice
Mm. The spines are something I'm not overly keen on. The Marvel ones at least provide an indication of the content within. With the Dredd ones, it's just a number. Everything else, though, is lovely. If I had to make a choice, I"d go for the MC unless I was a completist. (Which I am so, um, I'm buying both for now.)

Dodsy

I should point out I'm not a 'newbie' in the Dredd world. I've been reading for around 15 years so I'm not using either as a catch up, more of a way to have them collected.
Twitter - @dodsy84

Fungus

The Mega Collection spines are unfortunate, they are ruthlessly going for the completist vote, it seems. I'll be picking up the odd volume here and there, not fussed about Shamballa (just slog-read) and quite a bit else. Now I think of it, finding a specific volume to read will be tricky for everyone, with that unhelpful spine.

"Pay just one pound extra each fortnight, for a legible spine" !!!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dodsy on 27 January, 2015, 01:06:47 PM
I should point out I'm not a 'newbie' in the Dredd world. I've been reading for around 15 years so I'm not using either as a catch up, more of a way to have them collected.
In which case, you need to ask yourself what you want collected for yourself. Case Files cover almost (but not quite) all of the material, in chronological order, albeit in relatively low quality for the first ten volumes, before they switched to colour/bw hybrid. The MC is more akin to Rebellion's prestige hardbacks, but you'll only get whatever Matt Smith has deemed essential for the series.

Skullmo

Quote from: Fungus on 27 January, 2015, 01:17:14 PM
The Mega Collection spines are unfortunate, they are ruthlessly going for the completist vote, it seems. I'll be picking up the odd volume here and there, not fussed about Shamballa (just slog-read) and quite a bit else. Now I think of it, finding a specific volume to read will be tricky for everyone, with that unhelpful spine.

"Pay just one pound extra each fortnight, for a legible spine" !!!

Haha - I never thought about that spine issue - what volume is it?
'mean machine's head'
It's a joke. I was joking.

Zenith 666

Matt Smith is 2000AD's greatest editor so I believe this collection will be nothing but quality.Next person to complain about Shamballa should be instantly banned.If you bought it ten times fair enough it's still wonderful.get over it.

Fungus

Sham-bolic more like !
Seriously, I read Shamballa very recently (possibly for the first time, as it goes) and it was OK. Hence, I wouldn't buy it again for a tenner. I don't see any "complaint" there. Do you?

And why would you buy something ten times? Sheesh.

Zenith 666

Being tongue in cheek about ten times.i loved shamballa and I still do and it's got beautiful work by Arthur Ranson in it.People don't have to buy it again if they don't want it.its still of an unbelievably high quality and better than any shite marvel are printing.

Fungus

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 28 January, 2015, 02:19:47 AM
Being tongue in cheek about ten times.i loved shamballa and I still do and it's got beautiful work by Arthur Ranson in it.People don't have to buy it again if they don't want it.its still of an unbelievably high quality and better than any shite marvel are printing.

I like Hawkeye, Daredevil and Elektra. Try them.
But I'll go along with the rest of that.

Zenith 666

Don't mind me I just love Arthur Ranson.unfortunately I've no local comic book store but I'll keep an eye out for trades of Hawkeye Electra and Daredevil.

mimikeke

Quote from: Fungus on 28 January, 2015, 01:57:10 AM
And why would you buy something ten times? Sheesh.

Pretty sure some people here could answer that question  :lol:

I think even if you aren't into the whole Shamballa story, the art is freaking gorgeous.