Main Menu

Hulk

Started by Last of the V8's, 12 July, 2003, 09:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last of the V8's

Seen Hulk today.
I was suprised at how good this was.
Bit slow in the first 45 mins, trying to build character, but when the Hulk appears he rocks.
I thought the Hulk looked a bit cartoony in the trailer but you will belive the Hulk can smash.
Very faithfull to the comic in stance, and actions too. Great seeing him bound over mountains etc.
Audience applauding stuff.
Shame it was let down a bit by the ending. I expected a bit more than this.
Still 8 out of 10.

Buddy

Seeing it tomorrow, quite looking forward to it.

critter

I saw it. I may have given it a 5 out of 10. I can say this without any spoilers...There were a couple places where the fx came slightly apart, and there were some god awful, confusing camera angels. But the story and action were great. Not that I'm a prude or anything, but the amount of little curse words could have been cut down or eliminated entirely.

Critter

longmanshort

Well, the word from the man in charge is ....

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/2000/newsmakers/3055733.stm" target="_blank">Excelsior!!!

+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

petemaskreplica

I'm relieved to see reviews praising the cgi Hulk himself, I was worried after I saw him looking frankly a bit dodgy in some trailers. I'm a big fan of Ang Lee, I'm really looking forward to seeing this now.

Adrian Bamforth

The dodgyest thing is the trailers is all the leaping about, might work in the comic but on film it just looks like they're ignoring any rules of physics.

ADE

Art

I like the way that he seems like a huge angry todler...

Quirkafleeg

Ang Lee's on the South Bank Show tonight

Quirkafleeg

... and was rather good.

One interesting factlet is that Lee basically 'plays' the Hulk (in his early years he trained as a actor). Greatfootage of him throwing himself around in a motion capture suit...

Mangamax

Here we go with my bit:
Nice to see a deviation from what could have been a real meathead no-brainer movie.
Ang Lee is especially good at characterisation and that holds true here BUT some scenes seem needlessly lengthy and, quite frankly, boring.
The reason for going is done well (some shots being a lot better than others, some ... not) and the standout section is definetly the Hulk/tank/helicopter battle in the desert.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
 The fact that its blindingly bright so you can tell whats going on sure helps - the battle with the dogs was very murky with it being difficult to tell just whats happening. Mind you, if i had to film with a killer mutant poodle, i'd try and cover up as much as possible.
Two things really bothered me:
I thought it was "the madder the Hulk gets, the stronger" not bigger? I mean really, when he meets Betty for the first time he's just about the size of the original Kong.
Second, the ending. What was that all about? After all the build-up i expected a better battle than THAT. C'mon, a water bubble monster???? Smacks of that hideous blood monster original ending for Blade.
6 out of 10 then, mostly nice Hulk, great action set pieces - just a shame some of the linking scenes tend to drag.
Gorgeous Danny Elfman score by the way - if you're watching it in a Dolby Digital screen, wait for the bit where he goes up against the tanks, the sound mix up and around the auditorium speakers is fantastic!
The perspective on that chairs all wrong