Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

I thought LaLa Land was terrible too - not a memorable song in there and a dull plot populated by dull characters. Wife hated it too!

Trainspotting 2 was OK - I expected more from than the feeble plot delivered.[spoiler] Begbie was in it too much - better in short busts - and the Sick Boy / Renton relationship didn't work. Overall it was Spud's journey to becoming Irvine Welsh and whilst it had lots to like it was in no way the iconic film that its predecessor is.

I also guessed the ending as soon as Spud casually mentioned he'd a skill at forging signatures.

Also as a Rangers fan I enjoyed their jibes at some aspects of our support although I noticed they didn't actually use the club's name.[/spoiler]

sheldipez

Quote from: NapalmKev on 31 January, 2017, 01:00:22 PM
John Wick starring Keanu Reeves.

Finally got round to watching this and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Look forward to the next one.

Cheers

This seems to be a bit of a marmite movie speaking to people I know, I really enjoyed it; think I watched it twice in one week, the second time with the wife as I thought it be he cuppa ([spoiler]the dog [/spoiler]at the beginning put a downer on it for her!).

Was one of Reeves best performances in ages, these toned down roles use him best (compare his acting in something like Street Kings to Man of Tai Chi; it's like he forgot how to act between the two). Also when Willem Dafoe looks like he is having fun, I have fun.

Buttonman

Hacksaw Ridge - the first hour you can miss, Vince Vaughn is terrible, every boot camp and battle field cliche rolled out (oh no - watch that flamethrower!) ...but still pretty darn good. The battle scenes are brutal and amazing.

Rara Avis

Just back from 'Split' and it's actually alright. James McAvoy is pretty decent in it but he looks like a guy I know which was a bit distracting because I kept thinking '<friends name> what are you doing with them girls?'. Anyway it was pretty entertaining. Did M Night cameo as the guy with the chicken wings?

inkymonkey

Quote from: Rara Avis on 01 February, 2017, 09:04:49 PM
Just back from 'Split' and it's actually alright. James McAvoy is pretty decent in it but he looks like a guy I know which was a bit distracting because I kept thinking '<friends name> what are you doing with them girls?'. Anyway it was pretty entertaining. Did M Night cameo as the guy with the chicken wings?

Doesn't he always cameo? :P

Rara Avis

Does he? I'm clearly not a fan ...

sheldipez

Quote from: Rara Avis on 02 February, 2017, 07:14:08 AM
Does he? I'm clearly not a fan ...

According to wiki he only doesnt make an appearence in After Earth and The Visit, it has him down as three roles in Split?!

Also what I never knew before was just how much each of his films have made at the box office, considering majority are modest or even small budgets, I bet he has some friends across the studios who have worked with him.

Seems like he's one of those directors that are critic proof.

Smith

Shaun of the dead,now that was hilarious.And also surprisingly touching.

TordelBack

Quote from: Smith on 02 February, 2017, 09:32:41 AM
Shaun of the dead,now that was hilarious.And also surprisingly touching.

Just a fantastic film, as are both follow-ups.  If you can judge how much you love a movie by how often you can enjoy rewatching it, then the Cornetto Trilogy as a whole is in my tall-time top ten. The Ealing Comedies of the early 21st C.

Hawkmumbler

Smith

Hot Fuzz was an even better follow up.
-Its not murder,its ketchup. :lol:

Link Prime

Could be my age, but of all Cornetto flavours I'm most partial to The Worlds End these days.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 02 February, 2017, 04:19:25 PM
Could be my age, but of all Cornetto flavours I'm most partial to The Worlds End these days.

Me too.  It gets every single thing right: characters, plot, performances (Frost is unexpectedly magnificent), effects, gags, action, themes, pathos, finale: all wrapped around an almost Peter Greenaway structural device. It's an extraordinary achievement, and massively underrated.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 February, 2017, 08:42:00 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 02 February, 2017, 04:19:25 PM

Me too.  It gets every single thing right: characters, plot, performances (Frost is unexpectedly magnificent), effects, gags, action, themes, pathos, finale: all wrapped around an almost Peter Greenaway structural device. It's an extraordinary achievement, and massively underrated.

And there's some great drunk acting / acting drunk at the end.
Lock up your spoons!

Smith

Ah yes,great movie.Also a really sad movie.