Main Menu

Subscriber free gifts.

Started by Mattofthespurs, 19 December, 2018, 05:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

I've been a subber for 14 years now and not received a free gift, bar that first year, since.

Got the latest email and I see they are offering them again to new subbers.

Just feel like I get pissed on being a monthly subber.

Could just go the newsagent route and not worry about it but want to support Rebellion but they seem to shun me everytime they do one of these offers.

Anyone else feel the same?

hippynumber1

Stupid question maybe but have you phoned them? I've been a double subber for the last decade or more and always get the new gift when they update.

moly

I changed my sub to annual yesterday to take advantage of the free gifts as never received anything with the monthly sub

Buttonman

I always get the new subber gifts too - do you subscribe to both Prog and Meg? If you do I'd give them a call. They normally appear after renewal though, not when they are announced.

flip-r mk2

I've been a monthly subber, both titles for 10 years. Recieved the free gifts for first couple of years, then iirc they would send a note out saying if I wanted the gifts I could buy them, then a few years back the notes stopped.

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Tjm86

TBH this is something that does really piss me off.  They can bank on my money month in month out and it costs more than an annual / biannual sub.  They don't even bother to offer the opportunity to purchase the latest 'gift' much less post it out for gratis.  Granted a lot of the time it doesn't matter too much but every once in a while it would be nice to be considered a loyal supporter rather than a marked rube.

Leigh S

Heaven forbid they take a leaf out of Hachettes book, but a "premium" monthly sub that gave you the gifts would be a no brainer for me

Quote from: Tjm86 on 19 December, 2018, 08:51:41 PM
TBH this is something that does really piss me off.  They can bank on my money month in month out and it costs more than an annual / biannual sub.  They don't even bother to offer the opportunity to purchase the latest 'gift' much less post it out for gratis.  Granted a lot of the time it doesn't matter too much but every once in a while it would be nice to be considered a loyal supporter rather than a marked rube.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Tjm86 on 19 December, 2018, 08:51:41 PM

Agree.

Yes, I sub to both and the money is taken direct on a monthly basis.

Bolt-01

Hippy, Buttonman- just for clarity- are you a monthly direct debit subber to both titles and you routinely get all the free gifts following the anniversary of your set-up date?

If I've got any of that wrong, please let me know?

Proudhuff

Quote from: flip-r mk2 on 19 December, 2018, 08:42:28 PM
I've been a monthly subber, both titles for 10 years. Recieved the free gifts for first couple of years, then iirc they would send a note out saying if I wanted the gifts I could buy them, then a few years back the notes stopped.

filippo

Thats where I am, It would be nice to get some sort of thank you for dishing up month in and month out....
DDT did a job on me

hippynumber1

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 20 December, 2018, 08:12:56 AM
Hippy, Buttonman- just for clarity- are you a monthly direct debit subber to both titles and you routinely get all the free gifts following the anniversary of your set-up date?

Annual direct debit sub for both titles for me.

Bolt-01

'Annual' DD- so you pay a lump sum once a year rather than being juiced every month?

If so, the 'annual' thing seems to be key.

Buttonman

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 20 December, 2018, 08:12:56 AM

I pay mine in a one off payment about April - usually try and con the wife into coughing it up for my birthday. They may therefore take it as a new subscription each year rather than a DD payer who has one long continuous sub. Seems a bit unfair but maybe it's hard to monitor each year as they rollover. Still  a simple programme should be able to flag who has 12 month's service for each year.

I haven't really registered when the gifts show up but I'd guess about 2 months after I splash the cash.

Frank

Quote from: Buttonman on 20 December, 2018, 07:13:16 PM
I pay mine in a one off payment about April ...They may therefore take it as a new subscription each year rather than a DD payer who has one long continuous sub.

I think it's more to do with paying for the entire year in one go. Tharg gets all your cash up front, so he knows how much he has to work with during the year, whereas Tjm could (theoretically) quit at any time.

2.5.3 Exclusive Combi Subscriber Bonus Premium Product.

Each year a bonus premium product is offered exclusively to print subscribers. Annual and two-year combi subscribers (i.e. those taking out a print subscription to both 2000 AD and the Judge Dredd Magazine) of good standing qualify for one unit of this for free per year.

Other print subscribers of good standing may purchase a single unit of this product per year.

Good Standing in this context means: any new annual or two-year subscriber, or an existing annual subscriber with four months or more to go before renewal, or a renewing annual or two-year subscriber, or any monthly-paying subscriber who has paid for and received copies for a minimum of four continuous months.

Rebellion reserve the right to withdraw or amend the free premium subscription offer at their sole discretion

Tjm86

'tis true, I could quit at any point, and yes I was aware that if I changed to annual then I would be eligible for whatever was on offer that year.  The point about having all cash in one go and having a longer commitment is a fair one but then it is also the cheaper option compared to subscribing monthly.

Wondering if I should read too much into the fact that the purchase option never seems to come up despite having been reading the prog for over 40 years and subscribing for the best part of a decade.  What does that say about my 'standing'? ::)  At the end of the day Rebellion have made up their mind and been transparent about the terms.  Why they don't seem to follow through and offer monthly subscribers the purchase option like they say is a bit of a mystery. 

Sometimes it feels like the only benefit of subscribing and paying monthly is for the benefit of possibly receiving the prog on a Saturday morning and the excitement of discovering what degree of mangling the postal service has subjected it to.