Main Menu

Ready Player One review

Started by Bad City Blue, 29 March, 2018, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I managed to side step Peter Rabbit by saying I wanted to see this and have to be honest I'm really glad I did. I loved it.

Which is kinda weird as normally something that referencial (see my opinion of most modern Star Wars) would drive me a bit nuts but given its raison d'etre is to be a homage to all things nerd culture I was really able to relax about that and enjoy this nonsense hymn to my youth. It was such fun. To be honest there was a spell when I thought all the easter eggs would stop me focusing (and maybe at times it did) I almost lost one scene when I spotted a Swamp Thing 42 (I  think it is the eatting the Swampie veggie one) and tried to see what else I could see in H's room... but by the end I was so engaged and involved I spotted the stuff that got right in front of nose and ignored the rest for what will be following viewing (this is going to be a nightmare to watch on DVD, it'll be a pause frenzy!)

I'm the kind of person that likes crowd scenes in comics that feature aliens and spotting the folks I know, so this had that but it was also a fun, charming and at times genuinely tense action romp and I completely bought into it.

Link Prime

An enjoyable trip to the cinema...haven't had one of those since, er, the mid 80's!

Went to a practically empty viewing yesterday morning with three nephews ranging from 6 to 11 years old- they all loved it, despite the fact that the target audience is more likely my 40-year-old-gaming-addicted good self.

Simple good ol fun with zero preachiness- a winning formula.

James Stacey

Saw it in 4DX and loved it. Yes its packed full of references but most are incidental background and part of the fun is spotting them. Thumbs up from me

SIP

I'm yet to see it, and will on blu ray I guess, but my brothers review was "the worst film I've seen at the cinema in the last ten years".

Didn't inspire me to be fair.

dweezil2

Quote from: SIP on 04 April, 2018, 09:07:33 AM
I'm yet to see it, and will on blu ray I guess, but my brothers review was "the worst film I've seen at the cinema in the last ten years".

Jesus, I must go to the cinema far too much then, as I've seen far worse films in the last ten years!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: dweezil2 on 04 April, 2018, 01:31:33 PM

Jesus, I must go to the cinema far too much then, as I've seen far worse films in the last ten years!  :lol:

I've seen worse in the last ten days!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 04 April, 2018, 02:10:26 PM

I've seen worse today!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 April, 2018, 04:17:03 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 04 April, 2018, 02:10:26 PM

I've seen worse today!

Topper  ;)

SIP

Ha ha, he goes to the cinema at least a couple of times each month. He just really hated it. He felt it was a relentless attack of heavy handed forced schmaltz, terrible gamer stereotypes, and he didn't understand who it was really aimed at considering its references.

His opinion, not mine.

But then, he didn't like Blade Runner 2049, and that's one of my favourite films of the last decade. So.......

Rusty

Quote from: SIP on 05 April, 2018, 10:17:35 AM
Ha ha, he goes to the cinema at least a couple of times each month. He just really hated it. He felt it was a relentless attack of heavy handed forced schmaltz, terrible gamer stereotypes, and he didn't understand who it was really aimed at considering its references.

His opinion, not mine.

But then, he didn't like Blade Runner 2049, and that's one of my favourite films of the last decade. So.......
It's certainly one of the worst films I've watched in the cinema in recent memory, so I would sort of agree with his views, especially who the target audience is supposed to be. It's a clusterfuck regarding that.

BR2049 is the best sequel ever made, and one of the best films I've ever seen. Blew me away watching that in the cinema, so, yeah...

SIP

Yes, BR2049 completely bowled me over too, had to see it 3 times on imax in the end. Never seen such a good looking film before, it's gorgeous.

Eric Plumrose

A certain 1995 Sylvester Stallone movie gets a nod among the various references.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

wedgeski

I enjoyed it, but thought it tried to be too much to all people. This might be some mind-bending meta-intention of Spielberg's, but the story seemed to be searching for some dark under-current ("Real people are dying!" or whatever it was she said), and of course the protagonist's (horrible) family and most of his neighbours were exploded, but the story only ever really went for the popcorn. That was a shame because I'm sure there's a truly great dystopian thriller lurking under the spectacle. (I haven't read the book, so maybe it lurks in there.)

Also, the story seems horribly dated. This idea of a dotty professor creating the ultimate virtual world in his office with Simon Pegg is a quaint 70's notion. I'd be interest in knowing *why* Oasis won that race, once the technology reached a certain point. And what is a "bandwidth war", exactly? So for me, great spectacle (who couldn't love the Overlook sequence), but lacking real interest.

The Enigmatic Dr X

In the words of Mrs X: "It was a film for little boys and their daddies who are really just big little boys."
Lock up your spoons!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 16 April, 2018, 05:57:21 PM
In the words of Mrs X: "It was a film for little boys and their daddies who are really just big little boys."

Damn, maybe I WILL go see it then!