Main Menu

Talking of Old School Board Games...does anyone remember...

Started by Beeks, 06 April, 2011, 03:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 06 April, 2011, 04:24:58 PM
Jesus christ I used to love crossbows & catapults!

I remember seeing it in catalogues - I never had it but it was of those things I used to obsess over as a kid (like scalectrix), and the longer went by without having it the more I obsessed.

Well, come over a have a game!

Forum board game night would be arsom.

Dandontdare

Me and my mates used to break up our regular saturday D&D sessions with the occasional board game day. Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper were the favourites, but I vaguely remember playing Space Hulk too.

There was also one that involved customising cars with armour and machine guns etc - the "pieces" were just cards about 3"x5" showing the outline of your car, on which you placed various upgrades as you bought them. Don't think there was a board as such. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

chris_askham

Crossbows and Catapults was the business! I never used to get cool games like that, but it was a birthday present one year and I played it absolutely non-stop forever. Great days...

I remember owning a game called Diamond Hunt too (all about travelling the world searching for hidden gems) and that was great until my Mum chucked it in the bin one day, for no reason whatsoever. Tsk.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 April, 2011, 04:42:40 PM
There was also one that involved customising cars with armour and machine guns etc - the "pieces" were just cards about 3"x5" showing the outline of your car, on which you placed various upgrades as you bought them. Don't think there was a board as such. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Was it Car Wars, that was mighty fun. But I have a nagging but vague recollection that it might have been a variation there of?

Beeks

That definitely rings bells
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

SMOKESCREEN:ED:9

Quote from: Beeks on 06 April, 2011, 04:23:02 PM
Crossbows and Catapults anyone?

I always wanted to play that actually...SNiff.

my 4 pennies worth,

BLOODBOWL (the concept better than the actual game.)

PASS THE PIGS (Can't beat it, wouldn't want to.)

and...

FRUSTRATION! (SPLURK-KA-PLUNK, Weeee!)

ooooh the JOY.

Greg M.

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 06 April, 2011, 04:26:47 PM
When I was a kid, I used to go round to my best mate's house with a board game tucked under my arm (Mysteries of Old Peking anyone? Lost Valley of The Dinosaurs)

Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs! I hadn't thought of that game in about a quarter of a century! With the lava from the volcano creeping across the board, and your little chaps with pith helmets seeking Aztec coins! For a Ray Harryhausen-obsessed lad, it was like living out a dream.

chris_askham

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 06 April, 2011, 04:24:11 PM

Recently I bought the Last Night on Earth zombie board game and it's great fun. I'm going to grab the expansions.

Last Night On Earth looks like a good laugh - I have Zombies!!! and the Zombies!!!2 expansion, which is simple and fun, but rarely get to open the box and have a game.

Emp

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 06 April, 2011, 04:24:11 PM
I always thought the Arkham Horror games were supposed to be good (I've never played any)

Arkham Horror and Prince of the City are good games but suffer from the problem that they take far too long to play.
I tend to avoid games now that take so long to set up that by the time you're ready to start you've lost interest.

Good, quick games (that is they take less than an hour to set up and play) include,
Grass,Nuclear War,Ave Ceaser,Family Business,Pit,Der Ausreiser,Career Poker,Andy Capp (though its official German name is Willie Wacker and tends to give people the wrong idea),Warlock and Unspeakable Words.

I'm sure I've more but not about to go through the cupboards right now :)

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 April, 2011, 04:48:13 PM

Was it Car Wars, that was mighty fun. But I have a nagging but vague recollection that it might have been a variation there of?

YES! Car wars - I've jsut googled that and had a lovely nostalgia-rush!

Beeks

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Emp

Colditz - possibly one of the longest games in history.

exilewood

I loved Escape From Colditz - but ours looked NOTHING like that!

like this -

SuperSurfer

My cousin wanted the Colditz Action Man set for Christmas but got the Escape from Colditz board game instead.

Easy mistake to make.

Beeks

Quote from: exilewood on 06 April, 2011, 05:38:42 PM
I loved Escape From Colditz - but ours looked NOTHING like that!

like this -

WTF is that?! Looks like a completely different game! Dodgy rip off if you ask me  ;)