Main Menu

DUNE

Started by Tiplodocus, 20 November, 2015, 06:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MumboJimbo

I don't mind it being a bit like the Lynch version. That film is such a weird mix of absolute excellence and head scratching awfulness, something along the same lines that corrects the bad bits (unintelligible plot, unless you've read the book, and the rain ending) would be perfect for me.

Still love the 84 film, and have learnt to overlook the bad bits, but this could build on those foundations and be truly great 👍🏻

TordelBack

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 10 September, 2020, 11:53:10 AM
I don't mind it being a bit like the Lynch version. That film is such a weird mix of absolute excellence and head scratching awfulness...

Perfect review.

von Boom

At least the 'Thopters have wings.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 10 September, 2020, 10:05:48 AM
I'm looking forward to this. The worm looks brilliant, Paul looks fey, plus Charlotte Rampling. No Feyd Rautha though? I'm assuming they're combining two characters to have Rabban pull double nephew duty.

Since the film only covers the first half of the first book, I presume Feyd won't have a role until maybe the second film – if it gets made.

von Boom

In the book we meet Feyd in the second chapter. Maybe they're going to CGI a young Sting back in the role.

Barrington Boots

I can see how you could use Rabban as an antagonist for film #1 and then Feyd for film #2 but without having him in this one in foreshadowing role it'd risk just looking like the Baron pulls another nephew out of the ether whenever he needs one.
I'm not sure who could better Sting's but tradition says he should be played by a British musician. Harry Styles.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

TordelBack

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 11 September, 2020, 09:49:19 AM
I'm not sure who could better Sting's but tradition says he should be played by a British musician. Harry Styles.

That there's Mayor talk, Barrington.

Bolt-01

Noted.

As for Dune - I read the first book recently and must admit that I was impressed. I loved the world building but only doing the first half of the book? Really?Presumably the break will be when Paul starts his new life with the Fremen? Thereby allowing for time to pass before the (hopefully) second film allowing for the cast to alter physically.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I feel that the only legitimate criticism of Lynch's version is that it's just too damn brilliant.

Coming from that standpoint, this trailer doesn't really impress. It seems pretty bland to me.

Still, I wish the film well because the source material is excellent and also because if the movie bombs and the sequel never get made then that would be horrible for all concerned.

JOE SOAP

As seems to be the other option, a continuation will probably end up on HBOMAX.

JOE SOAP

More footage in this Stephen Colbert interview with the cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjLijCWt76o

ABCwarBOT

Whether the whole film will be good who knows but the trailer certainly makes it look worth watching at least.