Main Menu

Bill and Ted Face the Music

Started by von Boom, 09 May, 2018, 03:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

There was a wave of déjà vu at seeing the Orion logo at the beginning of the trailer.

Greg M.

Alex Winter is still completely and utterly Bill to his very core. Keanu, on the other hand, is delivering a much more gravelly performance. Nonetheless, this is one of the very few decades-later sequels that stands a chance of working - in an age when Classic Rock magazine might as well be called Classic Obituaries, the idea of Bill and Ted as faltering middle-aged legacy rockers seems oddly fitting.

MacabreMagpie

Keanu looks weirdly mahogany-toned, as well, almost like the Madame Tussauds waxwork of him has been animated for the role.

As mentioned above, though, Alex Winter's performance is seamless from the previous two. Hopefully Keanu will come across better in the movie itself!

Also interested to see how they tackle the George Carlin issue.

Which might be a good time to share this tribute to the late comedian via B&T that I commissioned from B&T comic artist Evan Dorkin several years ago:

von Boom

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 11 June, 2020, 08:57:51 AM
Keanu looks weirdly mahogany-toned, as well, almost like the Madame Tussauds waxwork of him has been animated for the role.

As mentioned above, though, Alex Winter's performance is seamless from the previous two. Hopefully Keanu will come across better in the movie itself!

Also interested to see how they tackle the George Carlin issue.

Which might be a good time to share this tribute to the late comedian via B&T that I commissioned from B&T comic artist Evan Dorkin several years ago:

I think they should either acknowledge the passing of Rufus or say he's on another mission, but I do not want to see some sort of reanimation a la Star Wars GM Tarkin/Princess Leia.

judgeurko

I think this was pretty much everything I wanted in a new Bill & Yes film. Not as original or imaginative as the previous ones but a fun nostalgic comedy with a nice message.

von Boom

A fitting end to Bill and Ted. It wasn't as good as the first two but I wasn't expecting it to be. Still fun and the focus was centred on our heroes yet still made it relevant to new viewers. The girls playing Bill and Ted's daughters are outstanding.

MacabreMagpie

Copied from the general movies thread...

I'd say the climax is a bit of a dud, though the writers do a decent job in paying off what is a difficult concept, but everything up to that is good fun and there are many genuine laughs along the way.

By far the most fascinating aspect of the movie for me was the depiction of daughters, Theo and Billie. No spoilers, but their characters defy all expectations of gender and sexuality and will no doubt be the part of this movie that I will continue to think about the most.

Alex Winter slips back into the roll of Bill like he was never away but, ironically, I think the best depiction of "Ted" in this movie comes from Brigette Lundy-Paine in the role of Billie!

---

And, with the above discussion in mind, I really liked how they paid respect to George by [spoiler]naming Rufus's daughter after Kelly Carlin[/spoiler].

Keef Monkey

Quote from: von Boom on 30 August, 2020, 10:25:26 PM
A fitting end to Bill and Ted. It wasn't as good as the first two but I wasn't expecting it to be. Still fun and the focus was centred on our heroes yet still made it relevant to new viewers. The girls playing Bill and Ted's daughters are outstanding.

I've not seen Face The Music yet but after seeing The Babysitter and Mayhem I think Samara Weaving should be in everything, she's great fun so her casting in this was one of the things that made me think it might actually work.