Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 15 August, 2016, 09:27:42 PM
Ye all got the new Cam Kennedy Battle collection that is out right now, right?

Thought it was out next week? Has it reached the shelves already?

Colin YNWA

Forgotten all about that. Very exciting.As as discussed elsewhere next Johnny Red is claiming to be out in a few weeks... we'll see.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 August, 2016, 09:46:11 PM
Quote from: Ancient Otter on 15 August, 2016, 09:27:42 PM
Ye all got the new Cam Kennedy Battle collection that is out right now, right?

Thought it was out next week? Has it reached the shelves already?

Arrived for me in my local bookshop in Friday.

Greg M.

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 15 August, 2016, 10:11:39 PM
Arrived for me in my local bookshop in Friday.

Great - I'm glad it did indeed get published. Fingers crossed for future volumes of 'Battle Classics'.

BPP

Stray Bullets and She-Wolf winning the monthlies for me atm.. apparently these sell zilch however so what do I know about popular comics...
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Been a while since going on holiday made me skip a haul and then I was three weeks getting to my nerd shop. Did you miss me, were you sorry I was gone...

...did you even... gulp... notice... I note a lack of wailing and gnashing of teeth... you lot don't know how good ya got it having me witter anyway about comics you really don't. Well rather than take the hint or follow that time honoured path of stomping off in a huff I'll carry on in the naively optimistic way I do.

We have a couple of beginning this haul. War Stories 19 sees this book return after a break (I did wonder whether it was cancelled) and while I see the break hasn't shaken off Mr Aira, Mr Ennis seems to have brought his a game for this one. As have the reliable team of Brubaker and Phillips who with Kill or be Killed 1 seem to maining their form. Very nice, interesting and well observed opening.

After number ones we of course have number 2s and this haul there seems to be a host of um Hillbilly and Black Hammer 2 are both just as good if not better than their fine openers. Kong of Skull Island 2 has some storytelling issues, which I think are more to do with the script that Magno's glorious art but even so is immense fun. As is the bonkers but brilliant The Flintstones 2, quite what this book thinks it is I have no idea but its very funny and I think smarter than we know?

After ones and two we get endings and there's a few of those as well. The first is a disappointing surprise Hip Hop Family Tree 12 marks the end of this series - such a shame as I assumed it was going to go on a while longer at least and cover the next of the graphic novels. Alas no and have to say feel a little robbed at that. Hey ho. Johnny Red 8 ends this series well, now back to the hardcovers if you will Titan! Klaus 7 ends this series... well I'll give it a re-read but the most disappointing GMozz I've read in a long time. Black Road 5 end the first arc of this series with a nice turn of events.

Elsewhere we have good issues of good series Cinema Purgatorio 4, Paper Girls 8, Unfollow 10 (though not mad on the art change), Sex 30, James Bond 8, The Maxx 34. All great, nothing quite stands out enough to claim top spot... that might actually go to either Black Hammer or Hillbilly come to think of it.... I'll let you decide.

The Adventurer

Coming off my high of really enjoying Superwoman #1, I decided to give Detective Comics a shot, as I kind of like its ensemble cast of all the Bat-characters it has going on. First two issues are pretty good, though a little low on the action. Good character banter though. I learned two interesting things while reading it, A) 'EVERYONE' seems to know Bruce Wayne is Batman (which I'm okay with). And B) the reason Spoiler is called 'Spoiler' is because she always ruins the badguy's plan's ending. *facepalm*

Oddly enough, I'm also kind of interested in the first arc of Batman. This is weird because I kind of hate Batman.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

I must admit I'm a little surprised by my complete absence of DC titles following Rebirth. While I didn't expect it to in anyway shape or from match my giddy excitment towards Nu52 over the intervening five years I've changed my reading habits a lot and have realised, while I adore a number of the DC runs I have, I have the stories I want for almost all the main characters I like and so can let it lie. I really thought I'd try Wonder Woman as that has a great team. Thought I'd give Dan Abnett's Aquaman a go as I don't have an Aquaman run I really like and I didn't. Possibly the reason is this twice a month thing, possibly its just the seperation of time has removed my connection from the characters.

Good to hear some of the titles are working though and who knows maybe one day I'll check something out (is anyone reading Aquaman). Everyone should have a Batman run in there collection though, interested to hear what it is about this launch that's caught your imagination Adventurer?

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 August, 2016, 09:30:54 PM
Johnny Red 8 ends this series well, now back to the hardcovers if you will Titan!

Volume 4 has been re-listed on Amazon with a September release date. Fingers, toes, legs, wires all crossed!  Also hoping that the next Battle Classics with Fighting Mann is released this week as scheduled.  War Dog I can take or leave but Cam in Vietnam?

Hawkmumbler

Oh man oh boy, it's been nearly a month since I posted a pull list overview here, hang on, let me cobble something together...

Quote from: Colin_YNWAJohnny Red 8 ends this series well, now back to the hardcovers if you will Titan!

...I WILL briefly cover this now, it was rather bloody phenomenal wasn't it? OK, maybe it never quite hit the heights the first issue did but my god, if it wasn't one of my highlights over the last year i'd be surprised, it's just good old fashioned FUN war comics and has me thoroughly excited to check out the HC's of the 'ol Battle Pictures Weekly run, which I really SHOULD have read by now.

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Adventurer on 20 August, 2016, 10:23:31 PMAnd B) the reason Spoiler is called 'Spoiler' is because she always ruins the badguy's plan's ending. *facepalm*

I blame the CW.
Spoiler debuted in the early 1990s long before the term "spoiler" took on its contemporary meaning in culture as an annoying catchphrase for one of Doctor Who's worst characters.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 August, 2016, 06:53:08 AM
Good to hear some of the titles are working though and who knows maybe one day I'll check something out (is anyone reading Aquaman). Everyone should have a Batman run in there collection though, interested to hear what it is about this launch that's caught your imagination Adventurer?

Honestly? Because it's a Bat-Team book and I like Batwoman and Spoiler. And also they're trying to make Clayface a crime fighter.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 21 August, 2016, 02:51:58 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 August, 2016, 06:53:08 AM

Honestly? Because it's a Bat-Team book and I like Batwoman and Spoiler. And also they're trying to make Clayface a crime fighter.
Oh, so like in the 2005 The Batman tv series? Interesting, as that was one of the best elements of that series.

Colin YNWA

Cool, which Clayface, last time I checked* there was like 4 of the buggers!

*Mind by last time I'm referencing Grant and Breyfogle's glorious Clayfaces story!

The Adventurer

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 August, 2016, 03:29:51 PM
Cool, which Clayface, last time I checked* there was like 4 of the buggers!

*Mind by last time I'm referencing Grant and Breyfogle's glorious Clayfaces story!

It appears to be the original Basil Karlo actor version.