Main Menu

Child of the Political Thread: Project Fear On Steroids.

Started by Tjm86, 24 September, 2019, 07:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

So I was thinking about the absolute chaos and mayhem that is the political scene in the UK, the sort of situation that makes the most insane, off-the-wall, horrifying post apocalyptic scenario to grace Sci-Fi seem fairly innocuous by comparison.  It struck me that all of the catastrophising of the referendum campaign and "Project Fear" really did fail to demonstrate the sort of imagination that British politicians seem to have brought to the challenge of completely and utterly screwing up the UK so perhaps we could have a go and see if we could come up with a better version.  So this is my first, admittedly rushed attempt:

Three years on from the referendum and the UK is now ruled by an unelected PM, opposed by an incompetent opposition and in charge (very loosely) of a parliament over which he has no majority, no authority and a track record of losing votes.  To top it off he has now been judged as having acted unlawfully over the proroguing of Parliament and forced to return from the UN to face a very British Coup.  So what next for Alex Johnson?

He returns to deliver a major tantrum to parliament, the EU decides that enough is enough and the UK no longer has a functional government so they will unilaterally suspend Article 50, Faragists attempt a coup to depose parliament and establish Nigel as the President of the Potato Republic of Britannia which fails but forces the UN to step in with a peacekeeping force since the British Armed Forces and Constabulary have collapsed.  All MP's are automatically barred from holding public office and the Queen is forced to hold a Constitutional Convention to establish a written Constitution, parliamentary reform, an independent disciplinary panel for MP's and an elected second chamber.

IndigoPrime

Professor Bear

Quote from: Tjm86 on 24 September, 2019, 07:48:52 PMopposed by an incompetent opposition

Quotea parliament over which he has no majority, no authority and a track record of losing votes.

/chin scratch emoji

TordelBack

The "unelected PM" thing is about the only accusation thrown at Johnson that makes no sense to me. Parties select PMs in your system (and ours), not the electorate. And if you're looking for confirmation by GE, well so is he. But please don't.

You lads now really do need to be clear about why the Queen exists. It seems like the office has no useful role in the democratic process, so maybe the Royals could be privatised as sone sort of tourism agency? Or just donated to the National Trust?

Also, the Prof's point is a good one.

Professor Bear

The Queen exists as an apolitical bulwark against tyrants, and a bang-up job she's doing.

Funt Solo

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 September, 2019, 11:16:33 PM
The "unelected PM" thing is about the only accusation thrown at Johnson that makes no sense to me.

They mean that the Tory party did not win a majority in an election with Boris Johnson as leader, and with his policies in place. Constitutionally, there's nothing to be done because (as you say) the electorate don't select Prime Ministers, but it's also true to say that they sort of do. During an election, one knows who the leader is, and it's probable that one has them at least partly in mind when one votes. (We could also imagine a voter who only votes for the party, or only votes for the MP.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

I do understand the idea, but what makes little sense is to be outraged that Johnson ignores parliamentary procedure and constitutional law and at the very same time complain about his premiership being a direct consequence of same, and in fact the most common way of a PM taking office.

Handy stolen list:

Funt Solo

Sure: I think my point is that it's just a diss. It has particular relevance for a bully PM who's busy spouting that he's got the backing of the people when he has no majority in parliament and wasn't the leader during a general election.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tiplodocus

I'm also interested to see where the latest Trump collusion goes. They've actually started impeachment inquiries but from what I've seen it's a slam dunk to any right thinking mind.

However right thinking minds seem to be in short supply just now.

And Trump seems to be just standing there going: "So, he mentioned the military aid we had suspended. I mentioned I wanted a favour of some dirt on Biden. What exactly is your problem with that? That's not wrong. That's politics and business. I haven't crossed a line."

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Concentration camps for children were just fine and dandy for the Democrats, but uncovering dirt on their golden boy was just a step too far.  Money is looking out for itself, as usual.