Main Menu

Wax on-topic, wax off-topic

Started by Trout, 10 February, 2005, 05:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

I know we have this discussion about once a month these days, but I think my opinion's hardening a little.

Is it time to have a separate board/section of the board for off-topicness?

- Trout

Noah Angel

I can't discuss this here. I'll need a seperate board.

ukdane

Cheers

-Daney

House of Usher

That would make more work for those of us who are interested in both on-topic and off-topic threads.
STRIKE !!!

Bico

Dunk!

I'd go for two sections to the board, but i think if recent trends are anything to go by the on-topic site would be a lonely wasteland for the majority of the time; Until a newbie has a question or the latest publication comes out for review.
"Trust we"

Dudley

There's an on-topic board already.  It even has the Lord High Priest of Ontopicness, W.R. Logan.

Come and chat!

Link: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/forum/" target="_blank">http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/forum/

Wils

I've no problem with off-topiciness at all, except for the look at me/woe is me ones, which piss me off but end up being like a scab you've just got to pick.

Perhaps rather than splitting the board, we should just ban the attention whores. ;)

Slippery PD

Ive thought about this a lot and for me, who doesnt really have the time - witness my attempts in the chat room recenlty - a seperate board wpild be helpful.  But maybe this board isnt quite the fun it used to be?

Rather than having a seperate board maybe theres a way of filtering the crap out (without using killfile).  For example I dont want to killfile Max, but I sure as hell dont want to read 13 pages of his attempts to get a girlfreind and as Wils said, it became a scab I had to pick....  

Anyway its just a thought

Slips

LARF

How would these boards be adjudicated?

What would happen if you posted an off-topic in the on-topic board?

Personally I think it's fine as it is and it's rather a bit authoritarian to start to dictate to people what they should and should not post. Surely, apart from the few, we are all grown up enough to ignore the threads that provoke and spam and just let them lie, whilst embracing the threads that matter?

The variety of messages and topics on this board, 2000AD and none, creates a great community. I think it's really good that we have 'mixed' thread messages, because underneath all of the threads there is a group of like minded individuals that have, at heart, a common connection and that is 2000AD. It's this variety, and life which makes this board so special.

Come on it's not very often you get a prog review sitting next to a thread called 'I successfully asked a girl out', for some un-intangible reason I find them both connected.

:-) M

Jared Katooie

I think if the board was split in two then the on-topic board would be very rarely used. As it is, the tags and titles let you know what to expect and that's fair enough.

Why not make one big thread for stuff that's often mentioned like good links (hint hint my link thread), one for very off-topic stuff and one for pure waffle and rubbish?

This way we could contain the problem, at least to some extent. Plus it wouldn't mess up the board.

Carlsborg Expert.

We all know whats off-topic.

Whats on-topic?

Exclusively 2k stuff?

Sci-fi in general?

Tech advise?

Noah Angel

'I've no problem with off-topiciness at all, except for the look at me/woe is me ones, which piss me off but end up being like a scab you've just got to pick.'

Hmm, a bit harsh Wils. What you have to remember is that the internet and sites like this give many people, who feel alone or outside of society, the chance to connect with others just like themselves. By this I don't mean angst ridden fook-ups, but people with the same interests who can, hopefully, help them develop emotionally and shed all that negativity.

It's kind of like having a mentor or just someone you can talk to when you're feeling alone, you think no-one understands you or you just don't want to discuss things with people you know.

Often, sites like this act as a shoulder to cry on, or a chance to let go of bottled up feelings that once released can make a vast difference to that persons outlook on life.

I don't personally have a problem with any of the boarders responsible for the 'look at me/woe is me' threads purely because everyone, myself included has been at that stage at some point in their life, even if they've forgotten it or choose to deny it. We are all outsiders in some way.

Noah

Wake

There are plenty of threads I don't read. The message index shows how many replies there are, and therefore give an indication of how long it might take to wade through the thread.

I am definitely not going to create a separate board for off-topic. One day there may be an optional extra layer which divides the messages into the different categories, if I or Barny get around to writing it.

Cheers,

Wake

-Pulger-

#What you have to remember is that the internet and sites like this give many people, who feel alone or outside of society, the chance to connect with others just like themselves.

now thats enough to scare a newbie off, any chance that there are well adjusted, socially adept people in here who want to chat about stuff around a common theme?
not sure if selling the place as somewhere for people who feel alone or outside of society is the best selling point for any forum, unless its specifically for people who feel alone, outside of society or have limited social skills.