Main Menu

Upcoming Gigs

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 23 April, 2014, 11:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Just got my ticket for Courtney Barnett at Manchester Academy in June.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 March, 2018, 07:04:22 PM
Just got my ticket for Courtney Barnett at Manchester Academy in June.

I veer from really liking the Barnett to finding some of her stuff rather pedestrian. Still, she's doing good and I hope you have a brill gig.

I saw aging folk stalwart Micheal Chapman perform a great set on Friday in Sheff and it's the return of Gomez tonight in that there Manchester Royal Albert Halls, playing the whole of Bring in on... yes indeedy!  :)

Dandontdare

I know what you mean, but I'm hoping that on stage she'll focus more on the upbeat material. She has a wonderful turn of phrase (and accent - I love the way she pronounces the letter 'o' at the end of words!)

Never actually seen a gig at the Albert halls, but it looks like a great venue now that it's been rescued from being a shitty club and refurbished - a mate saw Faithless there a while back and said it was a cool place.

Colin YNWA

In an hour our so setting off to see Goat Girl at the Sheffield Picture House, rearranged after the gig was cancelled in April. Anyway whats especially exciting about this is I know next to nothing about them. Its been an age since I just went to gig but my mate Jeff bought ticket after I passed on some vinyl and I'm so stoked to be just popping to a gig for going to a gigs sake... and having just listened to a couple of tracks sounds like it might be a good night to...

... mind work tomorrow daggnabbit so better behave!

Jacqusie

Just had a bit of a run of gigs from:

The Rolling Stones - amazing from Mick and the lads, so glad I finally got to see them

The THE at the Royal Albert Hall - a wonderful return from Matt Johnson and great new band

Belly - at the leadmill in Sheff, what did you think Colin?

Ray Lamontagne (snore)

David Byrne - one of the most inventive shows I've seen, so much creativity and energy.

Got a few coming up in July - Eels and Steve Winwood - both in Manchester a day after each other.

No summer festivals for me, I need a bit of a rest!  :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jacqusie on 20 June, 2018, 01:03:44 PM
Belly - at the leadmill in Sheff, what did you think Colin?

I enjoyed it. Liked the fact that they were their own support!

Thought the second set was a big improvement on the first and by the end my white belly was indeed up.

sheridan

I keep getting this the wrong way around - regailing gigs I've been too instead of ones I'm going to.

Posted the following in one of the prog slog threads as they'd got to the Nigel Dobbyn era.

I did see Death Ingloria not so long ago, at the Unicorn pub, Camden (not Camden Town, but on Camden Road, on the border with Islington North) - if you get the chance, go see them/her.  I also got a seven-page comic at the gig, written by Galina Ain (the person who gets up on stage) and Hilary Robinson, with artwork by Nigel Dobbyn.  The stage show itself involves artwork by Nigel Dobbyn (some partially animated) projected on to one of those circular projector screens. 

Website here.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jacqusie on 20 June, 2018, 01:03:44 PM
The Rolling Stones - amazing from Mick and the lads, so glad I finally got to see them

... Eels

a friend asked if i wanted to go to this - I'd love to see the Stones live once before I die but tickets were  a bit rich for me. I could hear it a bit from Hulme a few miles away, but have fond memories of the last time they played Manchester - a lovely barbecue at a mate's who lived next to Maine Rd - we saw nothing, but could hear it all.

Didn't know eels were coming here - would love to see 'em but sold out now  :(

Colin YNWA

The Breeders in Manchester last night. Heard someone say Cannonball was worth the price of admission alone and while that is such an anthemic classic it really shouldn't over-shadow the fantastic depth they have in their tunes. Just superb.

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 June, 2018, 12:45:57 AM
a friend asked if i wanted to go to this - I'd love to see the Stones live once before I die but tickets were  a bit rich for me.

They're getting on a bit - much bigger risk is to get to see them before they die...

JayzusB.Christ

On my way home from a PiL gig. My word, they're actually whole lot better than I'd expected - even the fat, ageing Lydon is an utterly unique singer and performer.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 August, 2018, 11:54:26 PM
On my way home from a PiL gig. My word, they're actually whole lot better than I'd expected - even the fat, ageing Lydon is an utterly unique singer and performer.

I saw them a few tours ago after a spur of the moment ticket buy. Likewise, not expecting anything, they blew me away. Apart from the great sound and players, the on-stage charisma of that man, decades later, is still something to behold.

JayzusB.Christ

Aye, superficially there's nothing left at all of that skinny, sneering little teenager of the 70s. Then he opens his mouth, and you realise he's still Rotten to the core.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jacqusie

Quote from: sheridan on 18 July, 2018, 12:47:02 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 June, 2018, 12:45:57 AM
a friend asked if i wanted to go to this - I'd love to see the Stones live once before I die but tickets were  a bit rich for me.

They're getting on a bit - much bigger risk is to get to see them before they die...

That was my reasoning in 1995 when I couldn't afford it and even much more so in 2018 when I was lucky enough to go!

Some recent gigs:

Paul Simon - Manchester - sadly his swansong tour but such an amazing gig

Natalie Merchant (10, 000 Maniacs) - Buxton - So glad I finally got to see her

Ride - Sheffield - Sounding better than ever as their second coming continues

and one coming up next month:

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Sheffield Leadmill - who knows what performance will ensue!  :)

Bolt-01

I'm finally getting to see the Chemical Brother live at the Ally Pally in a couple of weeks.