Main Menu

TOUR OF DUTY : THE BACKLASH

Started by strontium71, 08 September, 2010, 08:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Yep - it's out in June and will be called Tour of Duty: Mega-City Justice.

Contents are TBC, but apparently it will include all of Wagner's stories (Under New Management up to Mega City Justice, and probably The Skinning Room too).

As far as I know some of the ancillary stories like Lust in the Dust and the majority of the Megazine ones won't appear in the collection - but I'm hoping that the likes of Dragon's Den and Out Law make the cut...

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Thanks for the info!

June seems a very long way away but I guess I should be grateful I won't have to part with any more tooth money for a while (unless Defoe book 2 or an Insurrection GN come out before then).

radiator

You can see a list of all forthcoming 2000ad graphic novels on this thread (Defoe Book 2, Queen of the Witches, is out this October):

http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,27716.345.html

The Adventurer

Late to the party, as always, but I finally picked up my copy of Tour of Duty: The Backlash. I primarily picked it up because I stopped reading 2000AD at the start of 2009 (finances), and didn't restart until this start of 2011. So there is a pretty big two year gap I'm dealing with. A two year gap where the meet of Tour of Duty apparently has shook things up quite a bit. And the nice part of Tour of Duty the collection is its a great Dredd primer for the last 4 years of Dredd meta-plot.

The majority of Tour of Duty: The Backlash I have actual read before. The majority of it ran between 2007 and 2008. Only the last story, The Backlash, printed in 2009, I missed out on completely. But all the same, its nice to have it all collected because its been a while since I read it, and most of it I had only digitally (because all my 2008 progs came via Clickwheel).

My first impression is, god DAMN that's a chunky tome. Maybe the thickest (non-casefiles) Dredd trade since The Art of Kenny Who? And it was at a really really good price point (there was a while there I was paying 30 bucks a pop, for the thinnest of Rebellion trades. Looks like things have gotten a little better over the last few years). Rebellion still knocks it out of the park in the Trade collection department then most other comics companies. Maybe because they're bigger (wider) then the rest, intimidating comic books.

The contents, are above exceptional, John Wagner is in his toppest form, telling all the sorts of Dredd stories I love. Procedurals, Politicals, social commentary, action, 'slice of Mega-City life', and just spinning a rip roaring mega-epic. Origins itself wasn't all it could be, but its fallout has been above extraordinary. This collection is just a treat in terms of its variety, and yet holds to its ongoing plot threads, weaving in an out, elegantly.

The artist list was a proverbial who's who of my favorite Tooth artists. MacNeil, Critchlow, Frasier, Walker, and they even managed to squeeze some Dayglo in there. Awesome.

As it stands, the follow up volume, Mega-City Justice, is the one I'm most anxious for as it fills my significant story gap. How's Dredd going to handle being on the outs? Is Dan Francisco the right man for the Chief Judge job? And what about PJ Maybe, what's his stake in all this? The thrill power is just completely overloading me.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 13 September, 2010, 09:21:51 PM
Technically though, why is it called 'tour of duty'? Surely that's the next story, and just 'the backlash' would have been accurate?

I'm glad they did it this way. Partly because it links the two trades as one thing (Tour of Duty), better then calling them Tour of Duty Vol.1 and Tour of Duty Vol.2 (which still looks tacky on my Red Seas soft-cover TP). With the same title across two volumes, I can keep my trades in alphabetical order, like I like, but keep these two volumes together as they are meant to be.

and and and- they changed the 2000ad logo on the spine! I know some people who are not going to like that, one tiny bit! :)
This did bother me, for all of 5 seconds. Its a small detail. Hardly noticeable, at least its still red.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Kudos

Does anyone know whether the cover art I've seen around on Amazon and other places for 2the collected Tour of Duty:Mega City Justice is the final one? I have several friends who don't get Tooth but do collect the GNs and I reckon that cover is pretty damn spoilery.
Or is it just me?

I reckon they should have gone with the Prog 1664 cover with Dredd and Rico by Ezquerra.

radiator

QuoteI reckon that cover is pretty damn spoilery.

It is and it isn't - have you actually read the story itself? Personally I hope they do go with that cover - makes for two trades with lovely matching covers by the awesome Greg Staples.

My copy of Mega City Justice should have arrived this morning, but didn't (Grrr!) - apparently it was dispatched early Monday morning, that is some slow-ass postage - so I can't confirm whether or not they did use that cover.

IndigoPrime

It has the Staples cover, and I don't think it's remotely spoilery.

MR. ELIMINATOR