Main Menu

Two Towers Extended edition

Started by Steamboy, 20 November, 2003, 01:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

'i think having bought the 2 disker i shall stick with it.'

Trust us, fishy one. The extended edition is infininately better than the cinema cut.
The new scenes arent there just to add extra cool to the film, they realy are important scenes in the sense that they help explain the emotions and motives of the main characters, and also the plot.

Although im still convinced that there is a missing conversation between Eomer and Wormtongue (in the scene where we first meet Wormtongue) as the editing is a bit wierd.

Could be wrong though!

Queen Firey-Bou

santas just got a dvd player from ebay & ordered the tt dvd from dvd.co.uk  i just hope its this long version he's ordered. pah, santa get with it daddio stop being 2 years behind everyone else will ya !

esoteric ed

Bou, this will be the long version, I've ordered a copy too but do expect to wait a little longer for delivery from that site due to demand, I'm sure it'll be there in time to enjoy with your mince pies and sherry ;-)

please don't mention ebay... spent far too much there recently :-o

Edhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/83440/Ebayanon.jpg">

Jim_Campbell

"The 42 minutes they've put back are the 42 minutes with most of the plot and pacing in. A vast improvement on the theatrical release. "

Totally agree! The extended version was what I wanted the cinema version to be ... the extended edition feels like a full, properly rounded film - exciting, funny, scary and moving by turns.

Unreservedly recommended.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Noisybast

"First I've heard of this, Noisy. Where's the extra four minutes gone?"
Dunno - haven't seen it yet. I'm not sure what's missing - I just had a conversation with a guy who was cursing the BBFC for cutting bits out. He seemed pretty sure there were actual bits of scenes missing, though...

"Nearly resists temptation to do scouse joke at Noisy's expense"
'EY! (in comedy high-pitched voice).
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Something Fishy

hmm perhaps i will rent it.

25 quid for a film you already have is a lot.

ukdane

Last Year I got the Fellowship extended from Santa, and had to (Obviously) wait until after xmas to see it. I've not read the books (all the way through) and not seen it at the cinema, so I could hardly wait.
I loved it.
This year, I thought forget waiting, and have bought Towers for myself (I don't get to go to the cinema anymore) I'll be watching it (most of) next week.
Cheers

-Daney

wrighty47

paulvonscott

Hmmm... maybe my opinion of the movies will increase after I've seen the extended version.  I've been on a bit of a downer with them since I saw the Two Towers last year, which felt a bit shoddy to me.

I suppose the compromise that is being made is that you get the mass market version in the cinemas and the better film a year later on DVD.  I suppose that's about as good as it was ever going to get.

It's frustrating knowing I'm going to be going to the cinema in December to see a movie, a good 30-40 minutes from its best.  And even more frustrating that I have to wait for a year for the better version.

Oddboy

Totally agree with you Paul.

I'm even tempted now to skip the cinema release & just wait for the *real* thing next year.
Better set your phaser to stun.

paulvonscott

I know someone who does that, but I don't have the willpower.

Oddboy

I probably don't have the will power either, actually.  Good job the local cinema is only ?2.99 a ticket.
And considering I didn't pay to see the first two (because Oddgirl was working at a cinema then, fact-finders) I guess that's fair enough.

Mr C

I think I'll wait until the massive uberDVD comes out with all three films, plus the extended bits.
I'll save on cash and just buy the videos to tide me over in the meantime.

paulvonscott

Well, I've watched the extended version tonight and it is much better as you'd expect.  It's renewed my faith a little to see the next one.

I enjoyed all the Hobbit stuff with Sam/Frod/Gollum and to a lesser extent Merry and Pippin.  

Still wasn't too fussed about the whole Theodin/Rohan/Helms deep stuff.  Not bad, but not great.  Got very restless watching that stuff and kept going off to get a drink.

The dwarf is still a comedy sidekick.  That's all he is, it's very grating.

Whatever the merits/dismerits it's better than the standard hollywood toss by a long mark.

Although iof you like it you MUST hear the BBC radio play.  Michael Horden is the bestest Gandalf ever.  And I think McKellen's false nose makes him look more like Horden funnily enough.

Oddboy

Excellent! Paul you've restored my faith of the films.