Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2020

Started by Dash Decent, 27 June, 2019, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Not one, but FOUR Regened specials planned for 2020!

https://2000ad.com/post/6319

QuoteDrawing on four decades of genre-defining characters while encouraging new readers to pick up the Galaxy's Greatest Comic, 2000 AD Regened has something for everyone with a stellar lineup of talent on some of the biggest characters in comics, including Ilias Kyriazis (Collapser), Cavan Scott (Doctor Who), Nick Roche (Transformers), Rob Davis (The Motherless Oven), and more!

The new 2000 AD Regened issues follow on from the successful Free Comic Book Day issue in 2018 and 2000 AD Prog 2130, which was 2000 AD's best-selling issue of 2019.

The first Regened issue of 2020 will be 2000 AD Prog 2170 – a bumper 48-page special issue with a roster of complete stories, on sale from newsagents, comic book stores, and online on 26 February 2020.
The subsequent Regened issues will be 2000 AD Prog 2183 on 27 May, 2000 AD Prog 2196 on 26 August, and 2000 AD Prog 2206 on 4 November.

2000 AD editor Matt Smith said: "2000 AD's 2019 Regened takeover issue was the best-selling issue of the year, so I'm excited to bringing the all-ages concept to four issues across 2020. We've got some great stories and artwork lined up – many by creators making their debut for the title – so I hope these will go down equally as well with readers young and old."

The detail in Matt's quote there is very interesting, and if these specials can be slotted around the usual run of progs to help provide regular readership spikes they could be a boon to the comic in the long-term (and could perhaps see them spun off into their own monthly/bimonthly line in a year or two?)

Bolt-01

David Baillie and Rob Davis on the Gronk strip - nice!

Link Prime

Yeah, I won't be buying 2000AD four times this coming year - a first since 1983.
Reasoning already outlined.

Old habits die hard, but once broken it can be a slippery slope.

MumboJimbo

I loved the recent Regened special, but I don't like this announcement at all. The annual number of regular progs goes down from 49 to 46 - a not insignificant drop.

I think we will come to view these issues, as a bit like those weekends in the football season where there's no Premier League because of the "international break" - something that kills any momentum built up in the previous weeks.  >:(

Bolt-01

I typed a long rant here but realised before I pressed post that it was not serving the greater good.

I'm looking forward to these progs and hope it gives Rebellion the final impetus to go all out and launch a new title.

MumboJimbo

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 28 November, 2019, 04:31:54 PM
I typed a long rant here but realised before I pressed post that it was not serving the greater good.

I think it's fine to say how you feel. I don't know if anyone at Rebellion reads stuff here, but if they do, well, then they can take that on board in making future decisions. If not, it doesn't matter anyway.

Bolt-01

Actually Jimbo and Link - I was going to rant at your negativity towards TMO trying to get something new done.

I think the Regened prog late last year was one of the best progs of the year and sales seem to back that.

MumboJimbo

Ha! - rant away - we can take it!  ;)

Bolt-01

Nah, negativity breeds negativity.

MumboJimbo

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 28 November, 2019, 04:43:11 PM
Nah, negativity breeds negativity.

This is the internet, right? Or did I make a wrong turning?

matty_ae

I look forward to them just as standalone issues.

I struggle with guilt when I'm in the middle of a multipart story and I can't remember who is who.

It's nice we can talk like this. As a group.

The Amstor Computer

Well, I could be misremembering, but IIRC there are normally a few filler-ish progs a year already where the crop of current stories are coming to a conclusion and Tharg slots in a Dredd one-off and a Future Shock/Terror Tale alongside the final episodes of the other tales. I'd have no issues at all if the Regened progs are slotted in like that around extended runs of the prog where we've had 10- or 12-part stories (like the current Defoe/Hope/Brink/Deadworld run) going for a while, as a little "intermission" ahead of a jumping-on prog or the start of a new run of strips.

I think that considering the Regened specials in such a negative light is a shame, and I found that last year's one offered as much entertainment as a filler prog usually does (arguably more, as after decades of Dredd one-offs and Future Shocks it's rare that one really does something compelling). Not all of it was to my taste but there are often months that go by where I end up skimming a couple of duds every week in the prog, and I think most regular readers can relate to that occasional feeling of buying out of habit, or buying for two or three stories rather than all five.

Provided Tharg doesn't do anything daft and ham-fisted, like putting running stories on hold for a week to fit it in (highly unlikely, I think) and the quality stays high, I'm happy to see a few weeks each year set aside for a one-off prog aimed at drawing in a larger audience.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Put me down for being an enthusiastic supporter of this. In fact, I'd still buy the prog of it was "all ages" every week.

But in lieu of that, a fortnightly Regened would get my money.

SBT

MumboJimbo

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 28 November, 2019, 04:53:00 PM
Provided Tharg doesn't do anything daft and ham-fisted, like putting running stories on hold for a week to fit it in (highly unlikely, I think)...

Well, that's exactly what happened last time there was a Regened issue - so that's what I fully expect to happen 4 times next year. I think having to finish all 5 stories together once every 12 progs or so wouldn't be viable. It would also mean there could be no long-form series.

Leigh S

I dunno thats standard practice to have a reset - all this means is before the reset we get a regene - I agree last yearss "we interrupt your normal schedule" was a bit clumsy, but if they, as Amstor says, repurpose those dull dying days progs before a relaunch into something that boosts their sales, why would you not support it?