Main Menu

Finally ... THE END IS NIGH #4

Started by longmanshort, 29 October, 2009, 06:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longmanshort

The next issue of the THE END IS NIGH will launch at Impressions Gallery in Bradford on Sunday 1st November at a fantastic free event!

Our first issue since 2006 sees writers Alan Moore and Iain Sinclair pay tribute to the post-apocalyptic genius of JG Ballard, we mark the forthcoming milestone of 1,000 days till the end of the world, we examine The Rise of the Machines, we ponder as to which animal will unleash the next killer flu plague, we ask is Obama the Antichrist ... and it all comes with a free game of END TRUMPS, where the fate of mankind truly is in your hands!

The whole thing is topped off with an amazingly apocalyptic cover by Defoe artist Leigh Gallagher! We also have contributions from writer John Reppion, along with 2000 AD boarders Ed Berridge and The Emperor!

Keep an eye on www.endisnigh.co.uk after this weekend for the chance to get your hands on a copy - stocks are limited!

Here is the blurb about this weekend's event:

From the Large Hadron Collider to the end of Mayan calendar in 2012, our fascination with potential apocalypse is ever present. Inspired by our exhibition The Last Things, Journalist Michael Molcher and editor of zine The End is Nigh, will take an informed yet satirical look at the speculation surrounding the end of the world in his free illustrated talk at 2pm. Join us and help predict the date the world will end!

Throughout the afternoon the award winning independent Comic Book Shop OK Comics, will be transporting their Drink and Draw event over to Impressions. Like-minded comic fans, budding artists and designers will be able to meet, exchange ideas, sup free hot tea and scribble away. Paper will be rolled over all the tables in the Studio and pens left everywhere, so come along and draw whatever you feel like. Everyone is welcome no matter what your artistic ability and pro comic book artist Leigh Gallagher will be on hand to trouble shoot your illustration irritations at his drop in surgery.

OK Comics will also be bringing a selection of apocalypse themed comic books, which you can browse over a wedge of cake, or yours to buy and take away.

Amble into the gallery and you'll have a last chance to see our exhibition The Last Things by David Moore before it closes on 8 November 2009. Described by writer Iain Sinclair as a "photographer of secret spaces", Moore provides an exclusive glimpse of the Ministry of Defence's secret crisis management centre beneath the streets of central London. This hidden space, only to be used in a major national emergency, hides a strictly controlled working environment continuously on stand-by in which a looming sense of threat is ever present.

So do come along, meet the team, be the first to buy the new issue and hang out in a great venue!

+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

House of Usher

How very exciting! And what a surprise! (to me, at any rate - I wasn't paying attention.)
STRIKE !!!

Emperor

Sounds like a good launch!!

Also that cover by Leigh Gallagher is gorgeous and, having seen a draft PDF of the mag, I can confirm that the mag looks splendid from cover to cover.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Bolt-01

Well I'll be dipped in dog-mess.

I never thought I'd see this again, and after opening my blog-roll this morning I was very surprised to see the cover roughs from Leigh.

Good luck Longman, you've come a long way from sharing a table with us at Brighton!

Emperor

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 30 October, 2009, 08:32:02 AM
Well I'll be dipped in dog-mess.

I never thought I'd see this again, and after opening my blog-roll this morning I was very surprised to see the cover roughs from Leigh.

Oooooo just looked that up, very nice:

http://leighgallagherart.blogspot.com/2009/10/end-is-nigh-event-and-making-of-cover.html
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Emperor

Leigh Gallagher has posted on his experience at the launch: includes one helmet joke, the obligatory photo of a tall bearded man pulling faces and lots of people with lovely hair:

QuoteMichael Molcher himself did a SURPRISINGLY entertaining and educational talk about the Apocalypse! Seriously, he was so good, I was expecting FBI agents to approach him afterwards, asking for his help on case

Although I suspect it would be more likely they'd be wanting him to "help them with thier enquiries."

http://leighgallagherart.blogspot.com/2009/11/polishing-my-helmet.html

Also a link to a review (which was quick - I haven't seen the paper version yet!!):

QuoteThe End is Nigh #4 is a brilliantly put together piece of work, full of insightful, thought provoking pieces that look not only look at the coming of the end times, but also why mankind has always been so eager to predict the end of days. Michael Molcher has put together a fantastic group of writers and artists for this issue of the magazine, and does a top-notch job of putting the whole package together into a fantastic, professional looking publication that is befitting of the extraordinary content between its covers.

The End is Nigh #4 the best issue so far of this series, and is without a doubt the best magazine about the apocalypse that you will ever read. If you take one magazine with you on the final day, make sure that it is The End is Nigh #4!

www.hypergeek.ca/2009/11/magazine-review-the-end-is-nigh-4.html

longmanshort

Now you can buy your very own copy of THE END IS NIGH #4 through our fantastic new website!

www.endisnigh.co.uk

GET IT - BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++