Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: Professor Bear on 16 January, 2018, 04:03:04 PM
avoid paying the bloated licence fee for the BBC propaganda machine -

Yet ironically are more than happy to watch any amount of Murdoch-esque garbage / consume Mail 'news' / regurgitate the latest Twitter 'truth' whilst at the same time proclaiming their intellectual independence.

[Spa Wars?  Isn't that about the corner shop conflict that has blighted communities up and down the West Midlands?]

manwithnoname

Quote from: Professor Bear on 16 January, 2018, 07:16:21 PM
You can't access Pirate Bay from the UK.  Luckily our government made that top priority and not anything superfluous and unimportant like the NHS or putting spprinklers in high rises.

Right, kids?!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Oh, sod it...

[spoiler]Blah, blah, blah, blah, froth,blah, blah, blah, blah, swear, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, vent, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, swear, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, screech, blah, blah, blah, blah, foam, blah, blah, blah, blah, howl, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, shudder, blah, blah, blah, spit, blah, blah, blah, kick, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, yell, blah, blah, blah, blah, froth, blah, scream, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, swear, swear, sweary swear, swear, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, vomit, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, scowl, blah, foam, blah, blah, blah, blah, punch, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, cry, blah, blah, blah, blah, froth, blah, blah, blah, swear, blah, swear, spit. Blah.[/spoiler]

And that's what I think, so there.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

M.I.K.

Quote from: manwithnoname on 16 January, 2018, 03:36:35 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 16 January, 2018, 03:29:07 PM
Quote from: manwithnoname on 16 January, 2018, 03:11:11 PM
You don't have a TV? How do you watch television?

It's 2018.

What? So you mean he/she might use a laptop, tablet or other device capable of streaming television content?

Why then, does the poster make a point of saying they don't have a TV, and that this lack of TV-ownership is the reason they haven't heard of "Spa Wars"?

They didn't.

Professor Bear

manwithnoname

Quote from: M.I.K. on 16 January, 2018, 09:20:50 PM
Quote from: manwithnoname on 16 January, 2018, 03:36:35 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 16 January, 2018, 03:29:07 PM
Quote from: manwithnoname on 16 January, 2018, 03:11:11 PM
You don't have a TV? How do you watch television?

It's 2018.

What? So you mean he/she might use a laptop, tablet or other device capable of streaming television content?

Why then, does the poster make a point of saying they don't have a TV, and that this lack of TV-ownership is the reason they haven't heard of "Spa Wars"?

They didn't.

"I've never heard of Spa Wars - sounds like a good reason not to have a TV (which I don't)"

Ah, yes. You're right.

Although now it looks as if the central point - the non-ownership of a TV - is not the reason the poster hasn't heard of Spa Wars, but is actually a good thing (and thus worth mentioning) because it means they won't even be able to watch Spa Wars, because they don't own a TV.

Which leads me back to my original point, how do they watch TV programmes?

Note: this also negates the rather glib - and now moot - response that it's "2018", because we have now established the poster's inability to view Spa Wars is a "good reason" to not own a device capable of watching television programmes.

TordelBack

It's good to see the art of debate hasn't been entirely lost in this post-TV era.  And where better to practice it than in a thread called "Life is sometimes sort of okay because...". 

(I don't even know what Spa Wars is, and I can't even be bothered to see if the answer is on the previous page... in my mind, it's a Georgian-set historical drama documenting the violent cross-country clashes between bitter rivals Bath and Buxton... plenty of steamy pool-side encounters and attempted poisonings of each other's springs). 

The Legendary Shark

The poster claimed not to have a tv and that, because of this, had not heard of the programme in question. That is all. Not having a tv does not equate to an inability to watch tv programmes. I do not own a pogo stick but that doesn't mean I am unable to jump up and down.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

I'd like to take this opportunity to voice my own concerns about Tordelback's posts- consistently glib, unfriendly and completely devoid of intelligent refinement.

Something has to be done.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

manwithnoname

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 January, 2018, 10:15:21 AM
The poster claimed not to have a tv and that, because of this, had not heard of the programme in question. That is all. Not having a tv does not equate to an inability to watch tv programmes. I do not own a pogo stick but that doesn't mean I am unable to jump up and down.

There's been some disagreement about the original statement. I too surmised that the non-ownership of a TV had somehow been the reason that the poster hadn't heard of Spa Wars.

However, a more recent post (above) by MIK disputed that was the intention of the post, and that the fact the poster hadn't heard of Spa Wars was not in fact related to owning a TV, but rather the inference was that not having a TV was a good thing, because it meant that the poster wouldn't actually be able to WATCH Spa Wars.

So here we are. How does the poster watch Television programmes without a TV?

I would suggest that actually the poster in question CAN watch TV programmes, via alternative screens/ devices, and could actually watch Spa Wars (if they had heard of it, and were inclined to watch it), but instead chose to bring into the discussion the fact that they didn't own a TV, as if that somehow placed them on a higher intellectual plane, and a more discerning consumer of Television, than people who do own TVs, and might actually watch Spa Wars.

Hopefully the OP can confirm.

manwithnoname

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 January, 2018, 08:59:46 PM
Must... Resist... Urge... To... Rant...

About what? Stealing content and using illegal streaming sites like Pirate Bay?

It's an interesting discussion, and often very revealing. Perhaps in another thread.

We might need a separate thread for the amazing "Spa Wars" too, which I've never heard of, and have no interest in watching. On my TV.

The Legendary Shark

The biggest boon not owning a tv brings to my life is the absence of adverts - some of which are probably for Spa Wars (which I never heard of until this thread).  When I go to friends' homes now and they have the telly on it feels like an inebriated spectral mendicant is vomiting into my brain.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: manwithnoname on 17 January, 2018, 10:35:53 AM
So here we are. How does the poster watch Television programmes without a TV?

Wow. It's like someone's programmed an algorithm designed to replicate all my least-pleasant posting traits and set it loose on this forum to remind me what an utter arse I can be.

Lesson learned. Can someone switch it off now?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.