Main Menu

Firewatch

Started by Modern Panther, 14 February, 2016, 01:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modern Panther

I'm a fan of indy games, in particular the ones which do things a bit differently, so I've been looking forward to Firewatch, a game about sitting in a watchtower for three months looking for smoke.

Because I can't tell you how I feel about Firewatch without giving away far too much, I've posted a review on my blog...
https://modernpanther.wordpress.com/

Professor Bear

The controls killed it for me.  Doing something simple like answering the radio should be one button press, and it does that really annoying thing where you turn faster the longer you hold the stick in any direction, making precision aiming or focusing on nearby objects unnecessarily difficult.  As a consequence, the character I'm supposed to be investing in doesn't even feel like he's there in the environment, which itself lacks any sense of weight or realism because of the aesthetic choice of cel-shading, which I've never actually seen work particularly well away from cartoon-based games, so to see it in a first-person adventure is a bit baffling.
It's a shame, really, as I love immersive games like these and was really looking forward to playing this.

ThryllSeekyr

This one looks a bit like The Long Dark....am I correct?

Is it on special?