Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Cosh on 13 November, 2014, 10:17:50 PMI'd be interested in any other PS3 exclusives I've missed out on over the last six years.

A PSN membership is well worth the money for the sheer amount of games you get access to, but if you have a mate with membership and only one PS3, you can ask them to sign in on your PS3 (your account can only be active on two different machines) and then download anything they've ever bought from their download list, even if it isn't available in the PSN store anymore.

Savage Moon is a decent tower defence game that should be familiar if you're used to gaming on a tablet, and the single-player campaign of Starhawk was free at one point, but I don't know if that's still the case.  People seem to really love God Of War, but it's a bit linear.  Likewise for Little Big Planet, which has some impressive player-created online levels, but doesn't really grab me - kids go bananas for it, though.  Shadow of the Colossus is ace, if dated, and is a companion piece to IcoInfamous is supposedly great, but I've only played the vampire-themed spin-off Festival of Blood, which is good.  The Uncharted games are fun fun fun: 2 is the best, with a wide array of environments and puzzles compared to 1, which is still pretty good but feels like it takes a while to get to the interesting stuff.  3 is pretty shiny with some really great setpieces like an extended fight through a capsized ocean liner, but the script doesn't pull it all together quite as well as the prequels, even if the character stories are still good.  Jak and Daxter Trilogy is a great compilation package of the first three PS2 Jak and Daxter games, and though Jak 2 still has some murderously frustrating sections, it still holds its own against modern platformers.
Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 are good first-person shooters, but I wouldn't bother with previous installments.

radiator

If you like JRPGs and Studio Ghibli films, then Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is a must.

JamesC

My favourite games from last generation were Vanquish - an ace arcadey action game, the Tomb Raider reboot (far better than the Uncharted games IMHO) and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (the best arcadey racer I've played for years and it hasn't been bettered since it came out about 5 years ago).
None of these are PS3 exclusives but they're all pretty cheap now so if you haven't played them you should give them a go.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Cosh on 13 November, 2014, 10:17:50 PM
Alright? Mostly just been doing jigsaws on the iPad lately. It's strangely compelling.

Anyway, I picked up a cheap PS3 today. Got a couple of games with it (Red Dead Redemption and Skyrim) which should keep me busy over the weekend but I'd appreciate some advice on what to play after that.

I've got Last of Us, Tokyo Jungle, Super Stardust and whatever Wipeouts are available marked down for immediate purchase but I'd be interested in any other PS3 exclusives I've missed out on over the last six years.

I did the same thing just to play exclusives. I've played:

Valyria Chronciles (great)
Last of Us (a MUST, but don't bother with the expensive GOTY edition as multiplayer isn't that good and the expansion for single player is a bit fluffy)
Beyond Two Souls (dross of the highest/ poorest order; less playable than the 7th Guest and more pretentious)
Resistance. Ugh. Sloppy controls and poor level design. So bad I traded all three in.

I'm currently really enjoying Infamous. I got that and its sequel for 99p each.

I also have the three Uncharteds but haven't played any.
Lock up your spoons!

CheechFU

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 14 November, 2014, 10:42:08 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 13 November, 2014, 10:17:50 PM
Alright? Mostly just been doing jigsaws on the iPad lately. It's strangely compelling.

Anyway, I picked up a cheap PS3 today. Got a couple of games with it (Red Dead Redemption and Skyrim) which should keep me busy over the weekend but I'd appreciate some advice on what to play after that.

I've got Last of Us, Tokyo Jungle, Super Stardust and whatever Wipeouts are available marked down for immediate purchase but I'd be interested in any other PS3 exclusives I've missed out on over the last six years.

I did the same thing just to play exclusives. I've played:

Valyria Chronciles (great)
Last of Us (a MUST, but don't bother with the expensive GOTY edition as multiplayer isn't that good and the expansion for single player is a bit fluffy)
Beyond Two Souls (dross of the highest/ poorest order; less playable than the 7th Guest and more pretentious)
Resistance. Ugh. Sloppy controls and poor level design. So bad I traded all three in.

I'm currently really enjoying Infamous. I got that and its sequel for 99p each.

I also have the three Uncharteds but haven't played any.
Valkyria Chronicles is no longer PS3 exclusive  :D Sega ported it to the delight of the glorious pc gaming master race and managed to not fuck it up like Square did with literally every final fantasy port.

I've been playing Massive Chalice which is like x-com lite + crusader kings lite. The combat isn't as good as xcom:eu, it's doesn't really have the tactical depth. You can recruit new heroes through research but the interesting part is you can marry off your heroes and create heroic lineages that pass on their traits to the next generation.

Keef Monkey

Definitely check out the Infamous games on PS3, easily the most enjoyable games on the system for me. Infamous 2 in particular is an absolute hoot, it really did the superhero city traversal thing better than anything else I'd played (Sunset Overdrive has recently taken that crown though).

The Uncharted games are good for some Indy-style adventuring, but I always found the combat very poor and the pacing relies too much on throwing a load of bad gunfights into the latter chunks of each game. Like JamesC said, the Tomb Raider reboot does everything Uncharted does but better I reckon.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Oooh. I'm gonna download that Infamous vampire do-dah tonight.
Lock up your spoons!

Hawkmumbler

Oh. My. Shitting. Bricks. Five Nights at Freddies 2 is out.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 14 November, 2014, 11:47:21 AMThe Uncharted games are good for some Indy-style adventuring, but I always found the combat very poor and the pacing relies too much on throwing a load of bad gunfights into the latter chunks of each game.

I used to think this - specifically that some of the later gunfights were harder than others in order to slow your progress through the game story - until I played Last Of Us (made by the same team, using the same game engine) and then went back to Uncharted and went platinum on the first two games in a matter of days.  I have since revised my opinion to accept that I probably shouldn't have been playing the games like I was Master Chief and instead took the tutorials about cover and how the enemy will always try to flank you to heart.

(a good tip is to remember that the AI can be turned on your enemies: fire an empty gun and they'll come out in the open thinking you've no ammo, so you can switch to another gun or chuck a grenade at them)

Zenith 666

Dr X.playing any of the uncharted's will make the last of us seem like the masterpiece that I know it is.

pictsy

The Witcher 2

Well, sortof.  GOG had a promotion in which you could get a free copy.  I got massively excited when I saw it was Linux compatible and that I wouldn't have to run it off my XP partition or my laptop.  So after the lengthy wait for the download to finish and some issues with having to upgrade to Trusty Tahr the game doesn't play.  Installing the extra libraries and updating the nVidea drivers got the game to play but it run like crap with loads of bugs.

After doing a lot of research I found I could probably fix some of the bugs but there is no assurance that I would be able to run the game properly.  Turns out that it isn't Linux native and uses a wrapper called eON which has some hardware compatibility issues.  I'm not a fan of compatibility layers as they are not universally reliable and provide performance issues.  It's disappointing as I heard that CD Projekt (who also run GOG) a keen to support Linux.  I think they could have done better and if they couldn't they shouldn't have tried.  Really glad I didn't pay money for this game so I could play it on Linux.

I will probably end up slapping the game on XP partition.  The game is 32-bit anyway (which is another massive issue I have with it) so it should run well on my XP.

Theblazeuk

Left 4 Dead 2

Again. This thing never leaves my hard drive for long. And now I'm delving into the workshop... just wish my friends still played it.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 21 November, 2014, 11:42:51 AM
Left 4 Dead 2

Again. This thing never leaves my hard drive for long. And now I'm delving into the workshop... just wish my friends still played it.

I play L4D2 more than any other game I own, but I'm on Xbox 360. (I do have it for steam as well, got in a sale a while back).

Amazing game! Probably the best Multiplayer I've ever played, number 3 is long overdue.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Theblazeuk

My first multiplayer game in saw my three teammates get incapacitated before they could drop down to my level and hordes of zombies swarming them. I couldn't help though they'd just pulled me up 30 seconds beforehand after a hunter pounced me in the dash across the sewers, so I turned around and ran down the tunnel - encountering about 60 zombies swarming towards me from that bottleneck.

Katana out, swiping through on 2 hits and dead health... hacked my way to the end unable to see anything through the blood, knowing no one had my back and one zombie would take me out - got to the end and a spitter was waiting just behind the last two of the horde. One last stab, yanked out the shotgun and blew its head off, spraying acid across the ladder leading to the safe room.... heard another horde coming down the corridor behind me, my team mates screaming at me to run as they lay dying, I jumped up the ladder as the acid left and dashed into the safe room just as the first of the horde hit the doorway.

I remember why I loved this game :)

Hoagy

The Evil Within- is a game that feels all game players really want from their games is to have life made even more difficult for them. This game does nothing to help you enjoy it. The visuals hud are uncomfortable as are the default controls. Nothing lets you get comfortable and being sickened and pissed off by what you see and have to go through does not a scare make. I hate this game. And in return I want to defeat it. In casual mode.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract