Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Is this our Richmond Clements?

Richmond Clements, a writer and co-organiser of Inverness's Hi-Ex comic book convention, suggested that for some people zombies mirror personal concerns.

He said: "There is an obsession that runs through fiction, particularly, I would say, through horror and sci-fi, and that is the fear of a loss of identity.

"And this is what zombies represent. It's the fear that you as an individual are not a person but just one of a shambling, faceless crowd, no different than those around you. Of course, the real horror is that for most people this is true.

"The popularity of the zombie walk, where hundreds of people turn up in costume and go on a parade, almost lifts this into another level of irony."

But Clements also believes the zombie tale beloved of the film and TV industries is actually approaching the end of its life.

He said: "Zombies are a small part of a general malaise in the horror genre itself, where ideas, plot and character have been abandoned in favour of shock, gore, sexual violence and tiresome sequels and remakes.

"The genre needs to find some new life and new ideas, or end up (un)dead itself."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20310825

Richmond Clements

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 05 December, 2012, 09:52:03 AM
Is this our Richmond Clements?

QuoteEverybody's shuffling: Rise of zombies in modern life
By Steven McKenzie
BBC Scotland Highlands and Islands reporter
8 hours ago

Writer Richmond Clements suggests zombies reflect some people's concerns about their lives
Another US academic - James Powell, a mathematical ecologist at Utah State University - uses the idea of a zombie apocalypse to help him explain how real-life viruses such as H1N1 swine flu spread.

In February, he held a public workshop called Mathematics and the Life-Impaired: How the Theory of Disease Predicts the Zombie Apocalypse.

Prof Powell said: "I like using zombie examples because it grabs the students.

"They have an intuitive sense of the disease dynamics, i.e. you get bitten, you turn into a zombie, you bite somebody else...

"They don't get paralysed with too much biological detail, and of course there is a lot of natural zombie humour and participation that we can all do.

"If I talk about polio or cholera I don't feel good about being humorous about how the disease progresses - it's all too tragic and real.

"But with zombies you can be as silly as you like and nobody is going to feel offended."

Prof Powell's fascination with zombies started when he was just five, or six. His mother, thinking young James was asleep in the back of the car, had gone to a drive-in theatre to watch Night of the Living Dead.

"Didn't sleep for a month, which set the pattern for me as a kid watching horror movies," said Prof Powell.

In the UK, zombies have been moaning and groaning across the political landscape.

Lincolnshire County Council revealed in August that it been asked in a freedom of information request about its preparedness for zombies.

And last month, the National Collective, an artists' collaboration that is pro-Scottish independence, published a spoof news story about "fears" that Scotland would be more vulnerable to an invasion if independent.

It comes as no surprise to Edinburgh-based film-maker David Hutchison that the living dead are so popular.

One of his first short films was Zombie Lick about a zombie that craved chocolate not flesh. He is now working on a new script about a Scottish crofting family unearthing a zombie while cutting peats.

One US mathematician describes zombie attacks to explain the spread of real viruses
Hutchison said: "The best zombie films cast a reflection of the times.

"Take the wonderful Juan de los Muertos. How would a film-maker comment on modern Cuba, and get past the sensors? By shrouding it as a zombie movie, of course.

"The UK film Harold's Going Stiff, a moving yet funny film, could be seen as a comment on euthanasia, the ageing population and the strain on the NHS.

"Got a mine in Wales? Don't want to pay for a workforce? Use zombies. The Plague of the Zombies from 1966."

Richmond Clements, a writer and co-organiser of Inverness's Hi-Ex comic book convention, suggested that for some people zombies mirror personal concerns.

He said: "There is an obsession that runs through fiction, particularly, I would say, through horror and sci-fi, and that is the fear of a loss of identity.

"And this is what zombies represent. It's the fear that you as an individual are not a person but just one of a shambling, faceless crowd, no different than those around you. Of course, the real horror is that for most people this is true.

"The popularity of the zombie walk, where hundreds of people turn up in costume and go on a parade, almost lifts this into another level of irony."

But Clements also believes the zombie tale beloved of the film and TV industries is actually approaching the end of its life.

He said: "Zombies are a small part of a general malaise in the horror genre itself, where ideas, plot and character have been abandoned in favour of shock, gore, sexual violence and tiresome sequels and remakes.

"The genre needs to find some new life and new ideas, or end up (un)dead itself."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20310825

Yup.

shaolin_monkey

Richmond Clements

Proudhuff

'George Romero's Dawn of the Dead is often said to be a comment on consumerism'

Having spent a couple o hours in IKEA I can confirm this, why the feck go there if your not there to buy something? just wander very slowing aimlessly round, groaning slighty and occasionally rushing pointlessly into groups, while following the herd...?

DDT did a job on me

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Proudhuff on 05 December, 2012, 10:38:42 AM
'George Romero's Dawn of the Dead is often said to be a comment on consumerism'

Having spent a couple o hours in IKEA I can confirm this, why the feck go there if your not there to buy something? just wander very slowing aimlessly round, groaning slighty and occasionally rushing pointlessly into groups, while following the herd...?
Indeed. As I said in an unused quote, just pop into a supermarket any Sunday morning and you'll see it isn't actually satire...

Jared Katooie

Quote from: Proudhuff on 05 December, 2012, 10:38:42 AM
Having spent a couple o hours in IKEA I can confirm this, why the feck go there if your not there to buy something?

The food is tasty - and cheap!

The Legendary Shark

Did you know that Wednesday Night is Yap Night over at the Rowdy Yates Block Citizens' Yap Shop? Did you also know that the Mayans will be destroying the world later this month? Do you really want to go to your collective horrible dooms before visiting the Yap Shop for one more, or indeed the first, time? Eh? Eh??

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 08 February, 2012, 07:18:51 PMGo to www.paltalk.com to download the chat client (best way) and then create an account. (You can also chat directly through PalTalk's website without downloading the client, but this method isn't usually as stable.) Paltalk is a free service.

Log in and find us listed under Miscellaneous/Other/Rowdy Yates Block Citizens' Yap Shop

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spikes

Frank

Has this been discussed elsewhere? Sorry if I've just missed it: DAY OF CHAOS: fourth faction

Proudhuff

so what kind of biscuits were they?
DDT did a job on me

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

von Boom

You can never get custard cream out of a pillow.

Spikes

Quote from: Proudhuff on 10 December, 2012, 01:30:43 PM
so what kind of biscuits were they?

When trying to overthrow the status quo always go for Peek Freans Trotsky Assortment