Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Just gave Aliens and Alien 3 a watch there (still working through the new boxset. Oddly 3 seems to have dated the most effects-wise. I seem to remember even at the time thinking the Matte-lines(is that what they are) around the puppet work and the animated debris blowing around in the outdoor scenes looked a bit ropey, as does [spoiler]Ripley's act of sideywise[/spoiler]. Other than that I still like 3 a lot, effects aside it looks pretty gorgeous. I always find the scene at the end [spoiler]where Henrikson's ear is hanging off a bit distracting and needless. I get that he needs to get an injury so you can see him bleed to prove he's not an android, but the fact that it looks so over the top makes it seem a bit fake, and has even had the opposite effect on some people I know (who think the ear hanging off is confirmation he's a droid).[/spoiler] Would still like that Anderson fella to explain to me how Henrikson can be in AvP playing the same character.

Aliens rocked as always. I'm fully aware that Alien is the better movie (and watching the 2 so close together makes that even clearer) but I saw Aliens first as a kid and the style of it just seemed to have a profound effect on my young mind which has never worn off. I like space marines, what can I say.

spireite68

Watched the first 3 Die Hard movies over the course of last week.
You creeps must think I sailed through space on a synthi-biscuit!

chris_askham

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 05 February, 2011, 05:50:02 PM
Would still like that Anderson fella to explain to me how Henrikson can be in AvP playing the same character.

I always thought it was one of his ancestors in AvP, although haven't watched it in a long time.

mogzilla

silent bob and pascal the chameleon seperated at birth?

Richmond Clements

Amelie. Hadn't seen it before. It's a gloriously beautiful movie, but I fear Jim may not like the colour scheme...

M.I.K.

I think the colour scheme in Amelie is one of the few instances where the choice makes sense. Reminds me of early red/green technicolor films.

Michaelvk

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 05 February, 2011, 06:55:51 PM
Amelie. Hadn't seen it before. It's a gloriously beautiful movie, but I fear Jim may not like the colour scheme...

If you think that's pretty, get a copy of 'A very long engagement' by the same bunch..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Mardroid

Quote from: chris_askham on 05 February, 2011, 06:17:21 PM
Would still like that Anderson fella to explain to me how Henrikson can be in AvP playing the same character.

I always thought it was one of his ancestors in AvP, although haven't watched it in a long time.

Yeah, it's definitely not exactly the same character. If the Bishop 2 of Alien 3 actually is human then Weyland is an ancestor. On the other hand, if Bishop 2 is another kind of android made to look even more human than his predecessors* (hence the red blood) then he is just another android based on the original template, Weyland. (Or a descendant.) Either way it works.

*In an interview concerning AvP Lance Henriksen seemed to subscirbe. Of course this raises the question as to why Call, an more advanced android from Alien Resurrection still has the snot-like blood. One explanation is simply that Bishop 2 was specifically designed or altered to fool Ripley. I.e. he is meant to be mistaken for human. The other android (whatever their model) weren't really, although they can pass for it as long as they don't bleed.

I'm not convinced of this though, but I thought it interesting in the scene shortly after Bishop 2 is hit. He states "I'm human!" then follows quietly with "I am!" almost as if he is trying to convince himself. In which case, maybe he was actually originally programmed to think he was human to complete the deception, and his hanging ear has cast doubts has made him question himself. Of course it could just be interpreted as a further appeal to Ripley though. It could go either way.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Michaelvk on 05 February, 2011, 09:25:52 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 05 February, 2011, 06:55:51 PM

If you think that's pretty, get a copy of 'A very long engagement' by the same bunch..

Yeah someone else has recommended that one too- we've already ordered it!

Professor Bear

Silver Hawk is good fun.  It's a straight-up superhero flick where a wealthy model moonlights as a globe-trotting masked superhero and you can tell within the first five minutes if the rest of the film is for you as the first thing she does is jump the Great Wall of China on a motorcycle, then has a kung-fu fight on top of a moving truck that's absconding with a kidnapped baby panda in the back.  There's plenty of slapstick, great fight scenes, and a decent hammy turn from Luke Goss as the bionic-armed supervillain of the piece.  It's rare to see straight superhero stuff from Hong Kong as it's usually some form of emulation of Kato from Green Hornet (Black Mask) or part of an ensemble piece (Wonder Woman in Heroic Trio), but here it's exactly what you'd expect a superhero to be, with the whole enterprise shot in English for some reason, though it's clearly not some of the cast's first or second language.

Luke Goss also appears in Death Race 2 (sequel to the James Statham-starring remake of Death Race 2000), which is also a bit of a hoot to the point that you can overlook the troubling treatment of women as objects (not sex objects, mind - actual objects that come as accessories with a car) as given how the rest of it's played, you can put it down to piss-taking of the genre and to a certain extent the audience rather than some kind of insight into the screenwriter's divorce proceedings.  It's at least as good as the Statham outing, but there's a bit near the end [spoiler]where the main character is burned alive[/spoiler] that reminds you this is a prequel and which is a bit audacious in how it leaves the story and characters in limbo rather than giving the DTDVD audience their expected payoff for a night of pizza, beer and DVDing.  Still good for a laugh, and I think I actually prefer it over the original - though I grant you for some this is no recommendation at all.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professah Byah on 05 February, 2011, 11:03:16 PM
the James Statham-starring remake of Death Race 2000

I genuinely can find no logical reason for why I watched this movie, but it sets out its stall early on, and proceeds to deliver exactly what it says on the tin. Accepting that, I found it ludicrously entertaining.

Most recently watched film was Up. I'd seen it before, but decided it was time to have my regular incomprehensible-Pixar-argument with my wife, whereby she decides (despite having enjoyed every Pixar movie we've watched thus far) someone she knows says something that "puts her off" the current offering. I then have to basically force her to watch the film and she enjoys it and has to admit she was wrong.

Up: no exception. Quite brilliant. I can't imagine a film from another studio encapsulating Carl and Ellie's absolute heartbreak with such economy and restraint and then go on to give us the joyful exuberance of Doug; the plaintive charm of Kevin. Quite, quite brilliant.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SquashedFly

Inception for me as well.

During the first 20 minutes or so I had a feeling I wasn't going to enjoy it that much,but it gradually pulled me in as it went on. The action scenes didn't do much for me, but same can be said of most modern films. It was good overall though.

I did see Predators recently as well, it is fine. It lacked alot for me. the Predators seemed incredibly awkward in places and it just wasn't that exciting. The nods to the original were a bit much as well. As I said, it's fine. I haven't seen Predator 2 in a long time but I remember liking it, I think I will give it a watch soon.

Mardroid

Moon.

A very good film! [spoiler]Not the first time this particular subject matter has been dealt with, but the way it's dealt with is still interesting and intriguing. I wouldn't have minded if they'd kept the suspense a bit longer though, i.e. play on the hallucinations the character has at the start, but that's a small criticism, if even that.[/spoiler] The short included on the DVD was interesting too. I could imagine a future shock adaptation of that.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Mardroid on 06 February, 2011, 04:58:20 AM
Moon.

I found myself standing in my local Blockbusters yesterday afternoon, holding in one hand the DVD of Moon and in the other, the BlueRay. One was a fiver, the other a tenner, and I was weighing up which to get. In the end, neither- but I do need to actually get a BlueRay disc to test out the ps3 we've had for nearly a year.

Moon, I really want to see. But I spent my tenner on the BFI Film Classics: 2001 book.

SBT

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Mardroid on 05 February, 2011, 10:16:05 PM
Quote from: chris_askham on 05 February, 2011, 06:17:21 PM

Yeah, it's definitely not exactly the same character. If the Bishop 2 of Alien 3 actually is human then Weyland is an ancestor. On the other hand, if Bishop 2 is another kind of android made to look even more human than his predecessors* (hence the red blood) then he is just another android based on the original template, Weyland. (Or a descendant.) Either way it works.

*In an interview concerning AvP Lance Henriksen seemed to subscirbe. Of course this raises the question as to why Call, an more advanced android from Alien Resurrection still has the snot-like blood. One explanation is simply that Bishop 2 was specifically designed or altered to fool Ripley. I.e. he is meant to be mistaken for human. The other android (whatever their model) weren't really, although they can pass for it as long as they don't bleed.

I'm not convinced of this though, but I thought it interesting in the scene shortly after Bishop 2 is hit. He states "I'm human!" then follows quietly with "I am!" almost as if he is trying to convince himself. In which case, maybe he was actually originally programmed to think he was human to complete the deception, and his hanging ear has cast doubts has made him question himself. Of course it could just be interpreted as a further appeal to Ripley though. It could go either way.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, I guess the fact that it can even be interpreted in different ways is a very, very cool thing.

We watched Forgetting Sarah Marshal last night, which I like fair bit (it's a 3 star film for me). It's an amusing and likeable romcom with an amusing and likeable cast, and if you can watch it without falling madly in love with Mila Kunis then you're a stronger man than I.

I'd seen it once before in the cinema, but the projectionist had botched it so that you could still see boom mics and equipment moving around (not to mention the 'nude suits' for some scenes) which was really distracting.