Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 24 July, 2018, 05:03:46 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 24 July, 2018, 01:18:10 PM
Green Room

What a horrible film.

A punk band witness a murder at a venue and are then trapped and hunted by a group of muderous nazi skinheads.
I don't know why anyone wants to make a film like this. It had nothing to say, it wasn't clever in any way, just horribly violent.

I liked it.

Out of interest, what did you like about it? I thought it was competently made and acted but the story was pretty thin and the violence seemed gratuitous.

Professor Bear

Green Room

What a horrible film.

A punk band witness a murder at a venue and are then trapped and hunted by a group of muderous nazi skinheads.
I don't know why anyone wants to make a film like this. It had nothing to say, it wasn't clever in any way, just horribly violent.

I concur.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: JamesC on 24 July, 2018, 05:10:27 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 24 July, 2018, 05:03:46 PM
Green Room

What a horrible film.

I liked it.

Out of interest, what did you like about it? I thought it was competently made and acted but the story was pretty thin and the violence seemed gratuitous.

The above. It was well made, well acted, it gave me a sense of danger, it was like a rollercoaster.

I liken it to Deliverance. Not something you enjoy but endure and come out the other side with a sense of relief. Like roller coasters or most horror films.

TordelBack

How it Ends, a Netflix Original Thing.  Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.  More like how did this thing get made, and why did I watch it. Anyway, this is the almost certainly the dullest end-of-the-world movie ever put to film; it doesn't even attempt to do anything original, or really do anything at all. The characters act like morons and remain steadfastly unlikeable (Our Heroes fuck over every person they meet, even the nice ones), the perils encountered are no greater or more mysterious than the average US road movie, and the ambient threat level lurches from fighting to the death over a jerrycan of petrol to everyone having a good night's sleep in unguarded houses full of food and water.   

It adds insult to boredom-inflicted-injury by sacrificing its last 15 minutes to the thinnest imaginable rip of Z for Zachariah (and not the book or TV adaptation, but the recent film version), being so blatant as to call the bloke 'Jeremiah'.  And then just when it might redeem some credit[spoiler] by killing its vacant protagonists off, the still-unspecified disaster turns into one of those 2012 volcanic clouds that goes just slightly faster than a 4-wheel drive on a mountain road, before sort of giving up and letting our Adam & Eve drive into an unblemished Washington State sunrise[/spoiler].

There's obviously some talent involved somewhere, because the opening shots of Chicago are glorious (if irrelevant), and the road-trip background landscapes are frequently gorgeous; there's even a wondefully creepy abandoned waterpark location that looks like it could have been fun, if anything happened there. There is one single element of surprise, if only by omission, in which the Native American Stereotype [spoiler]leaves the party, and doesn't reappear at an opportune moment[/spoiler].

Finally, would somebody please pay Forest Whitaker enough money for something that he doesn't have to say 'yes' to every single script he's handed - that guy must have an incredibly expensive lifestyle to support.  There are other actors that can play whispery curmudgeon, you know.

Johns Christopher and Wyndham are spinning in their respective graves.  AVOID!

Frank

radiator

QuoteGreen Room

What a horrible film.

Yep. Great, isn't it!

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 26 July, 2018, 07:15:07 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 26 July, 2018, 07:04:22 PM
How it Ends

Merchant Ivory's best film.

If only it had as much high-concept apocalyptic action as its almost-namesake.

wedgeski

How it Ends, a Netflix Original Thing.  Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.  More like how did this thing get made, and why did I watch it. Anyway, this is the almost certainly the dullest end-of-the-world movie ever put to film; it doesn't even attempt to do anything original, or really do anything at all. The characters act like morons and remain steadfastly unlikeable (Our Heroes fuck over every person they meet, even the nice ones), the perils encountered are no greater or more mysterious than the average US road movie, and the ambient threat level lurches from fighting to the death over a jerrycan of petrol to everyone having a good night's sleep in unguarded houses full of food and water.   

It adds insult to boredom-inflicted-injury by sacrificing its last 15 minutes to the thinnest imaginable rip of Z for Zachariah (and not the book or TV adaptation, but the recent film version), being so blatant as to call the bloke 'Jeremiah'.  And then just when it might redeem some credit[spoiler] by killing its vacant protagonists off, the still-unspecified disaster turns into one of those 2012 volcanic clouds that goes just slightly faster than a 4-wheel drive on a mountain road, before sort of giving up and letting our Adam & Eve drive into an unblemished Washington State sunrise[/spoiler].

There's obviously some talent involved somewhere, because the opening shots of Chicago are glorious (if irrelevant), and the road-trip background landscapes are frequently gorgeous; there's even a wondefully creepy abandoned waterpark location that looks like it could have been fun, if anything happened there. There is one single element of surprise, if only by omission, in which the Native American Stereotype [spoiler]leaves the party, and doesn't reappear at an opportune moment[/spoiler].

Finally, would somebody please pay Forest Whitaker enough money for something that he doesn't have to say 'yes' to every single script he's handed - that guy must have an incredibly expensive lifestyle to support.  There are other actors that can play whispery curmudgeon, you know.

That is one of the best film reviews I have ever read. Bravo.

For Whitaker, also see: "Doomed mentor" (Rogue One, Black Panther).

Tiplodocus

Mission Impossible: Fallout
More like...
Mission Impossible: Fucking fantastic go see it on an IMAX as soon as you can.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

I mean, it has it's faults (there's a hint of bringing in too many threads from previous movies, it stops for Basil every now and then plus elements of the action sequences have been done before... just not as well) but I have not seen such energetic action consistently realistically on screen ever. But somehow it manages to be not just about the spectacle. Sometimes a thrilling chase scene pays off with an elegant side step rather than big explosion.

And what a muscular version of the M:I theme tune; dialled up to 11.

I am aware of what will be described as a "troubled" production if this bombs; Cruise breaking ankle, Cavill's 'tache and effectively starting with a list of action set pieces but no script. There's loads in the trailers (especially the first) that isn't in finished movie.

Damn, I just want to see it again right now.

Frank

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 July, 2018, 10:12:10 AM
if this bombs ...

Seems unlikely ($63m opening). The cinemascore audience rating is the highest of the series* and it's 86** ('Universal Acclaim, Must See') on Metacritic - the highest rated film on release by a huge margin.

If Cruise's wranglers can keep him away from soft furnishings, Mission Impossible 7 is a certainty.

* The highest audience score this year since Black Panther.

** The same critic rating as Oscar winners Argo and Slumdog Millionaire

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 July, 2018, 01:55:31 AM
Mission Impossible: Fallout
More like...
Mission Impossible: Fucking fantastic go see it on an IMAX as soon as you can.

The missus and I are booked in for tomorrow.

von Boom

I wish I'd seen this review a few hours earlier. Heed Tips' words for they are wise.

Tiplodocus

It was Tordels.

If I had reviewed it, it would have read:

"HOW IT ENDS: More like SHIT, WHEN WILL THIS END?"

Frank

This film is evil. Every spooky noise from the small gale blowing through the trees outside is now a devil at the window, every half-lit shape I see on the way to the bathroom is about to unfurl and reveal its true form.

All the lights in the house have been switched on and I'm not sure I'll ever turn them off again. I'm going to listen to ABBA or something; anything pure and good, that hasn't had Satan's slimy glans wiped all over it.