Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Falcon

Well I finished Bad Company last night.

To be honest, I found the first part a wee bit of a struggle in places and actually preferred the Bad Company II storyline.

Strontium Dog today though, that's something to look forward to.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

sintec

My copy of War On The Streets came through.  The repro on some of the Mega Rackets stories looks a bit heavy on the black.  Most of the text is, just about, readable but there are a few panels where it's obvious A LOT of the detail has been lost from the artwork and we're left with a mostly black square :(

Jade Falcon

That doesn't seem like a good sign for my replacement book. The text reproduction on mine really sucked badly and I think it's inexcusable. Honestly, if they can't do any better they should do a replacement book of different content, Black Atlantic maybe. It's not as if there's a lack of stuff to use.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

DonJohnson

Quote from: sintec on 06 December, 2018, 03:53:05 PM
My copy of War On The Streets came through.  The repro on some of the Mega Rackets stories looks a bit heavy on the black.  Most of the text is, just about, readable but there are a few panels where it's obvious A LOT of the detail has been lost from the artwork and we're left with a mostly black square :(

What issue number is that?

Jade Falcon

Quote from: DonJohnson on 06 December, 2018, 06:55:16 PM
Quote from: sintec on 06 December, 2018, 03:53:05 PM

What issue number is that?

That is issue number 88, it was the last book we got, volume 90, but it's number 88 in the collection.

I find a lot of the text is so blackened that it is damned near impossible to read.  Frankly, I haven't complained about any other book but this one has been an exception.

Anyway, I sat through and read the Strontium Dog Volume 4 in one sitting.  This is one I thoroughly enjoyed.  I don't remember Ragnarok or Rage, but the villain Max Bubba seemed vaguely familiar so it's possible I saw it years back.  Great stories all round.

sintec

Just to clarify War On The Streets was Issue 90 (Vol 88) of the Mega Collection.  It's not part of the Ultimate Collection.  For me it's the art that really suffers; the text is hard to read in places but I could usually infer what it should have been from context, the art is just rendered as a shadowy blob which is a crying shame.

DonJohnson

Quote from: sintec on 07 December, 2018, 11:58:45 AM
Just to clarify War On The Streets was Issue 90 (Vol 88) of the Mega Collection.  It's not part of the Ultimate Collection.  For me it's the art that really suffers; the text is hard to read in places but I could usually infer what it should have been from context, the art is just rendered as a shadowy blob which is a crying shame.

Darn, I still haven't even looked at that volume yet! These Hachette Collections are real hatchet jobs!!

Rara Avis

Karlos have you had a reply yet? I emailed them about two weeks about the swapped end papers and have had no response. That facebook link just brings me to the 2000AD FB page, how do I contact HP?

Quote from: karlos on 22 November, 2018, 07:50:06 AM
Do hatchette only reply to FB posts? I asked them about subs via their website and have got no response at all.

IndigoPrime

Use Facebook Messenger rather than email. They tend to actually respond there (although replies can take anything from a few days to a couple of weeks).

Rara Avis

What is there actual facebook page? I tried to contact them through FB but ended up contacting HP UK and not the HP that does this collection.

IndigoPrime

Rara Avis

Thanks, I've resent my message. Hopefully I will receive a response in early course.

karlos

Hi, Rava. 

Never got a reply at all via the actual website.

As you've no doubt seen, the way to get a response is via the FB page.

Good luck!

DonJohnson

I picked up the latest issue yesterday (Strontium Dog) from Forbidden Planet. Looked in good order until I got it home and removed the shrink wrap.

Some of the pages near the middle were damaged, thankfully the thickness of the paper stopped them from tearing in half due to a printer jam/error.

What do I do?

IndigoPrime

FPI is the seller, and therefore should be the one you return it to, DonJohnson.

As for Hachette in general, I waited a week, sent a FB message, and have already had two replies today. I'm not emailing them again. Waste of time.