Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grugz

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 January, 2017, 08:03:12 PM
it's going to fuck you up. It's going to be fucking Christmas for me

oh,yes you didn't use the word relish and "going to" instead of "gonna" .my mistake btw perhaps you should ease back on the nasty jibes regarding reading or understanding as for all you know there may be some on here who do have a genuine problem and aren't just lazy speed readers like me your comments could be seen as discriminatory.

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Grugz on 11 January, 2017, 09:08:23 PM
oh,yes you didn't use the word relish and "going to" instead of "gonna" .my mistake btw perhaps you should ease back on the nasty jibes regarding reading or understanding as for all you know there may be some on here who do have a genuine problem and aren't just lazy speed readers like me your comments could be seen as discriminatory.

Ahem. The quote you have your knickers in a twist about is a direct follow-on from this, which you plainly didn't read:

"Depending on exactly how that plays out, I could be thousands of pounds a year better off, and I still don't want this to happen, because I'm in a tiny minority and the people it will hit will suffer terribly."

I honestly don't think that could be clearer. If you missed that due to 'speed-reading', you might want to take a few minutes to read posts more attentively before you respond.

(Also, FWIW, I have only ever used my real name on this forum, and I've never made a secret of which comic-related events I intend to attend, so if you ever want to have a civilised conversation about about nerd-related things, you should easily be able to find out which convention bars I'll be present in. Hopefully, you'll be able to keep some of that mis-directed anger of yours control.)

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Grugz

oh, i'd love to have a nerd related discussion about anything with anyone at anytime which is why I come on here and you'd find I would never treat anyone with any sort of disrespect or nastiness as the few members and creators (let alone anyone who knows the real world me.) I've met would attest to....

grugz
   xxx

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Grugz on 11 January, 2017, 10:15:38 PM
oh, i'd love to have a nerd related discussion about anything with anyone at anytime which is why I come on here and you'd find I would never treat anyone with any sort of disrespect or nastiness as the few members and creators (let alone anyone who knows the real world me.) I've met would attest to....

And are you going to acknowledge that you grossly misrepresented my position when you accused me of 'relishing' your (potential) misfortune?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Thread temporarily locked!

Abusive / disrespectful behaviour will not be tolerated on this forum!

The Legendary Shark

This is the first time I've listened to a Trump speech. Some good sentiments, I think, but sounds unfortunately like all other such speeches - like an address by the President of Cloud Cuckoo Land.

"Do as I say and I'll serve you."

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Paraphrasing here:

The President is very much a figurehead - he wields no real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it.

An orange tan is what the President traditionally wears.

On those criteria Zaphod Beeblebrox Donald Trump is one of the most successful Presidents America will ever have. He will spend two of his eight Presidential years in prison for fraud. Very very few people realize that the President and the Government have virtually no power at all, and of these very few people only six know whence ultimate political power is wielded. Most of the others secretly believe that the ultimate decision-making process is handled by a computer. They couldn't be more wrong.

The Legendary Shark

I broadly agree with that, as I said in 2010:

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 April, 2010, 07:21:21 PM
Keeping everyone arguing about the problem... and not the cause... is just one example of what all political parties are about. This is the politics of distraction.

The Prime Minister (or president) can be seen as the captain of the ship of state. Once the passengers (the electorate) elect a captain and crew (PM and MPs), the ship is redecorated, the way the ship is run is altered, the shift patterns and responsibilities of the crew are tweaked, new rules and regulations are put into place, the decks are swabbed etc, etc, etc - but the course of the ship is not altered. Some years later, a new captain and crew are elected who change everything back again, but the course of the ship is still not altered. This is the politics of distraction.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

It was as I suspected. Utter drivel. I weep for the next 4 years.

von Boom

Hawkmumbler

Aaaand the LGBTQ+ code of human rights has been removed from the white house website. Jesus...

von Boom

Removed to give it a good polish maybe?

TordelBack

Oh FFS, we do NOT have THE TIME for this shit.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 20 January, 2017, 08:00:47 PM
Aaaand the LGBTQ+ code of human rights has been removed from the white house website. Jesus...
As has all reference to climate change.

The Legendary Shark

But you aren't worried, right? Because "government" is the only thing standing between civilisation and barbarism.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]