Main Menu

Can anyone clarify the Aus Dredd certification?

Started by atp, 25 September, 2012, 02:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atp

According to the Icon website (distributors for Dredd} http://www.iconmovies.com.au/Movies/D/Dredd.aspx the movie is rated ma15+. Which basically means that teenagers 15yrs or older are free to see the movie and that children aged 12 or over may be allowed also, while accompanied by an adult. UK and US have the 18/R rating. Does this then imply that Dredd has been butchered by some nanny state censor board committee for the Aus cinema release?
The freedom of choice should be compulsory

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

painbros22

Yes it may have been butchered, R is the highest rating, thats 18+. Bad news for aussies.

Michaelvk

I was right then :) I'm sure there's some Antipodean pride in there too.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Stan

I was about to say, Check the running time if possible. Though even then the cuts can be so small you may not notice unless you've watched both versions. The Robocop director's cut only had an extra minute so I suppose a film could conceivably have the same running time if a few exploding limbs are cut here and there.

atp

Quote from: painbros22 on 25 September, 2012, 02:18:24 PM
Actually don't worry, it's uncut, still 95 mins, phew.

Thanks for that. Thought I was going to have to shell out on air fare for a moment there. I did try a search but didn't see your result. Bit of an obvious place to look really. It's been a long day, I'm tired, confused, skint and my brain hurts.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

PsychoGoatee

If this is what we're basing hard on, I'd just like to point out R is always 17 in America instead of ever 18, so yeah, ho hoooo.  :P

atp

Quote from: Michaelvk on 25 September, 2012, 02:06:47 PM
Aussies are harder bastards than Poms or Yanks?

And this comes from someone that tippy toes around lego bricks    :lol:

Michaelvk

Quote from: atp on 26 September, 2012, 01:34:40 PM

Step on one. I dare you. The sodding things are right up there with camel thorns.

atp

Quote from: Michaelvk on 26 September, 2012, 03:31:24 PM
Quote from: atp on 26 September, 2012, 01:34:40 PM

Step on one. I dare you. The sodding things are right up there with camel thorns.

I accept your challenge sir. Ok just a sec-----there one red 8 Lego brick placed on a hard tiled floor ------ shoe and sock removed, I shall now take a heavy step onto aforementioned Lego brick
-------------          ! :o !    --------------- Done your turn
   Why is there never any ice when you need it?

atp

OK, getting worried now. Just got back from Taken 2. Before the film began amongst other trailers they showed the Life Of Pi trailer. Now bearing in mind that the aus release date for that is Jan 2013, I was gutted that no trailer for Dredd was shown, and that is due for  release  in about 2 weeks. Meanwhile in the foyer there were huge stands for 007 and hotel Transylvania to name a few, but only 1 small stand and 1 poster of Dredd. I asked a member of staff what rating Dredd had been given (in hope that it would be 18). Unable to confirm, he pointed me in the direction of the duty manger, who said that as far as he is aware Dredd has been 'cut' for an MA 15+ (roughly Pg to 15 UK)  to appeal to a wider audience, in a similar way to Taken 2. I have been trawling the web for more info, but as yet no confirmation one way or the other.
To make matters worse Dredd is already being shown in New Zealand with an 18 rating http://www.hoyts.co.nz/Movies/Details/Dredd_3D.aspx 

The MA 15+ classification
MA 15+ films are not suitable for people under 15
because the content is strong in impact. There are
legal restrictions governing who can be admitted to
MA 15+ films.
In Queensland, a person aged between 2 and under
15 cannot be admitted to an MA 15+ film unless they
are accompanied by an adult for the duration of the
film.

CraveNoir

http://www.classification.gov.au/Usingclassification/Findaclassification/Pages/Classification-search-result.aspx?ncdctx=qDBPj7AYHzjUwy8SWNQ1J5OK5h7rahIIDHGzagKp78xm9eFKcAUgU05%2bmDcFRNVH

The Classification site states the version is "original". Looking at other films I take that to mean it was passed as submitted, assuming the version submitted prior to September 14th was uncut by the distributors.