Main Menu

Prog 1927 - A Town Called Malice!

Started by A.Cow, 18 April, 2015, 04:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Erm .. usually someone's posted this week's prog by now.  So I guess it's up to me, then.

Cover:  Orange.*  And good.
* (See Pete Wells' excellent Covers Uncovered.)

Dredd:  Brown.  And Henry Flint must be getting sick-to-death of drawing nose-plumbing.

Orlok:  White.  And, um, ... is this supposed to be funny?

Slaine:  Blue.  And for a warrior king he doesn't half whine.

Grey Area:  Browny-turquoise.  And Wallallalalalaagggggkk.

Strontium Dog:  The full spectrum.  And [spoiler]electronux[/spoiler] too.

Mattofthespurs

Haven't read mine yet but I adore the cover.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: A.Cow on 18 April, 2015, 04:02:02 PM
Erm .. usually someone's posted this week's prog by now.  So I guess it's up to me, then.

Far too lazy I'm afraid. Got it at 7.30 am but was 'busy' in the garden most of the day.

Leigh S

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 18 April, 2015, 04:53:38 PM

Wonder if that's a bit of a sneak preview of the Strontium Dog fan film costume, given Greg Staples Dredds...

Geek alert! *** Stixville certainly seems to undermine if not openly contradict the ending of The Stone Killers

moly

Enjoyed this weeks prog except Orlok

Steve Green

Quote from: Leigh S on 18 April, 2015, 05:12:25 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 18 April, 2015, 04:53:38 PM

Wonder if that's a bit of a sneak preview of the Strontium Dog fan film costume, given Greg Staples Dredds...

Geek alert! *** Stixville certainly seems to undermine if not openly contradict the ending of The Stone Killers

No, it's not.

As for Stixville - I wouldn't say it necessarily contradicts Stone Killers, there was already a cousin in Blood Moon - might just be that the new Stix are children of the original brothers.

Or there were more and the father thought they were dead - wouldn't be the first time the Stronts have been framed.

ZenArcade

Oh man, that Strontium Dog cover is just....just wonderful. The fan film poster captures Alpha to a tee. Z

Cheers Eamonn.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Leigh S

Aha yes - comparing the two the helmet shape and face have a resemblance, which must have sparked the idea in my head, but the detail of the film suit is more akin to the newer detailing, whereas the cover has a very old school vibe.

cousin Stix was a flashback Stix, so yeah - maybe they have multiplied in the intervening dead years!

Dark Jimbo

Great cover - but then, it's Staples! Inside it's still a bit 'as you were' for me this week. Nothing's really got me diving for the letterbox when the prog drops through it, but I'm not hating anything, either.

Dredd and Stront are the main event. Both feel like proper meaty reads. Loving the Enceladus episodes, and klegg-time is always fun. Not sure if Stixville might be one outing too many for a classic villian, (less is more) but at least sidelining the Korean stuff should stop the indignant grumbling of certain self-appointed moral guardians.

Orlok trundles on. After a muddled beginning, then a promise of something improved on the last run (and more fun), it faltered again this week. Not an interesting episode, and downright confusing in places. What was that last page all about?! Not sure whether it's the script, art or both in conjunction, but the storytelling on this strip makes it hard work at times.

I could not for the life of me remember what the last thrill in this prog was, which doesn't bode well for Slaine. Still very talky, and starting to feel a bit slow as a result. Is Slough Gododin actually going to do anything, or just talk at Slaine indefinately? Davis makes the best of some fairly uneventful pages, and the Massimo tribute was nice.

I've been lukewarm on Grey Area in the past, but this arc is really good fun. Love 'slice of life' five pagers like this. Harrison is a great fit for the strip. It isn't going to change the world or win an Eagle award but I don't begrudge it its place in the prog.
@jamesfeistdraws

Ghost MacRoth

Cover:  Very nice.  No point really going further than that....it ticks all the boxes.

Dredd:  Pootles along nicely......

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 18 April, 2015, 07:41:04 PM
Orlok trundles on. After a muddled beginning, then a promise of something improved on the last run (and more fun), it faltered again this week. Not an interesting episode, and downright confusing in places. What was that last page all about?! Not sure whether it's the script, art or both in conjunction, but the storytelling on this strip makes it hard work at times.

Slaine:  More beautifully presented non events, interspaced with full page flashbacks, and loads of dialogue doing bugger all.

Grey Area:  Continuing to enjoy, but hope that the pace picks up next week.  We get it now....they are locked up and bored, cool...now RESOLVE! ;)

Strontium Dog:  Gotta agree the whole Stixville thing is flogging a dead horse just a wee bit.  There's a guy called Stix.  ooh, he was popular...but we killed him.  Ok....he had some brothers!  awsome!  Ah....we appear to have killed them too....fuck it, let's chuck in a whole town then!  Still....does look like Carlos is gonna be drawing a cracking shootout next week! :)

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Steve Green

I'm not sure if you can call using characters who've appeared, what 3 times previously over 30 years of the strip Stront as flogging a dead horse.

Schicklegruber Grab, Outlaw and Blood Moon are (as far as I can remember) the only stories they appeared in previously.

Ghost MacRoth

Perhaps a bit over colourful in tone, I'll admit....but each time they appeared, they was dealt with, and ended.  I just don't like ressurections, reboots, or re-hashes, as it always feels a bit of a cop out.

And yes, I'm well aware which tale I'm making that comment about! ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Dark Jimbo

With the exception of Blood Moon there are more and more of the buggers every time the Stixes appear! Personally I find it just diminishes them as a threat. The whole town of Stixes is somehow less scary than the two brothers in Outlaw.

Just a minor grumble though, I'm enjoying the story and Wagner may yet prove me wrong!
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

I actually like the idea that their are a shit load of Stixisisisis throughout the universe, all from one very hectic, dense family. They are suitably creepy and effective antagonists for Johnny to face each time.