Main Menu

I prefer the Stallone Dredd uniform to the new one

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 18 August, 2011, 05:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoagy

Has it been said before that Stallone's Dredd was a bit self-indulgent?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

JOE SOAP

...not as a Dredd film it wasn't, as a Stallone film yes.

Goaty

Quote from: watto911 on 18 August, 2011, 09:32:58 PM
I'm going to stick my head above the parapet here and say something I might regret. I actually PREFER the helmet from the '95 version.

nah, it too small, like the prick!

Hoagy

Yeah, Stallone self-indulging in a role he thought was the ultimate in pure-form action hero for the big screen. The comic book hero. All he had a fleeting knowledge of though was maybe Judge Dredd bought it but was more interested in making a film about himself rather than adapting a character.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

mogzilla

watto, i too liked the stallone lid.but not better than the correct version.

malkymac

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 August, 2011, 06:04:47 PM
But let's just compare them anyway:

I remember reading that they went for the lycra uniform in the 95 movie because it would be too uncomfortable for the actors to  wear leather uniforms under the studio lights. Just goes to show that the current lot of actors are made of sterner stuff than Stallone.

SmallBlueThing

Of everything about the 95 movie, the helmet bothers me least. At the time, the lack of a nose piece bugged the hell out of me, since as a piece of design it seemed similar to making Spidey and leaving the webs off the mask, or making the hulk blue. However, im shallow enough to admit that it didnt take me long to accept it- seeing it in comics form in LotF and then the main dredd strip (hi siku!), etc, 'legitimised' it for me. A shame it further removes the 'skull face' aspect of the very early strips, but the strip's never stood still for long, so...

This time around i brethed easily once i saw the nosepiece had been reinstated, i admit. Though i'd love to know whether it was ever going to be redesigned during preproduction, and how close we came to yet another version, if at all.

SBT

radiator

Think I remember early on someone saying that the filmmakers regarded the design of the helmet/visor as sacred and there was never a question of altering it in a drastic way. Didn't they actually have a meeting win the Minty guys to see their take on it? With regards to rest of the uniform, John Wagner said that he is pleasantly surprised to see how close it is to the comic version - apparently he had seen some earlier versions that were quite far removed and very 'paramilitary' in feel, and he had suggested that they go back towards the comic version. Really glad he did! Think we have ended up with something that is a good compromise between modern, practical-looking and faithful to the original. It actually looks very much like I imagined it would when the film was first announced.

IndigoPrime

I'm pretty much of the same opinion regarding the Stallone movie's judge helmet and also the gun. But looking at that picture, it's pretty bizarre to hear people bleating about the new uniform and saying the Stallone one was accurate to the comic. Here's, in reality what you've got:

- Inaccurate helmet design (compared to the faithful one in Dredd).
- Legless eagle (compared to an eagle 'imprint' on a shoulder pad).
- Reasonably accurate collar (compared to the full-on biker's collar in Dredd).
- Fairly accurate stylised left-hand shoulder piece (compared to the 1970s-style one in Dredd).
- Badge placed near the armpit (as opposed to Dredd's chest badge, albeit within the chain).
- Lycra (versus leather).
- No elbow pads and bling gauntlets (instead of the accurate ones in Dredd).
- Judge Codpiece (instead of something 99.9% less hideous in Dredd).
- Wee black kneepads and bling boots (versus accurate ones, again).

Plus, as has been said here elsewhere, the Stallone uniform looks like some warped dress uniform for a parade, versus something you could actually use to combat crime.

Steve Green

Yep, Dan went along to DNA's office with Darren (who's been Dredd at a couple of Cons) in costume.

I think the helmet was pretty much sacrosanct from the off, and they did pick up on the scratches from the damaged helmet we use, and liked that look as well.

They did borrow the helmet for a while, for reference.

watto911

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 August, 2011, 09:36:39 PM

PRICK
I'm Hoping, Joe, that you are referring to Stallone with the over the top prick comment othewise it's rather dissapointing that you would disregard someboby else's opinion in such a manner. Afterall it's just an opinion.
I'm drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows, they've learned to swim

JOE SOAP

After all...it being 'over-the-top' an' all...wouldn't it be a joke..?

watto911

I'm drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows, they've learned to swim

JOE SOAP

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 August, 2011, 01:40:07 PM
I'm pretty much of the same opinion regarding the Stallone movie's judge helmet and also the gun. But looking at that picture, it's pretty bizarre to hear people bleating about the new uniform and saying the Stallone one was accurate to the comic. Here's, in reality what you've got:

- Inaccurate helmet design (compared to the faithful one in Dredd).
- Legless eagle (compared to an eagle 'imprint' on a shoulder pad).
- Reasonably accurate collar (compared to the full-on biker's collar in Dredd).
- Fairly accurate stylised left-hand shoulder piece (compared to the 1970s-style one in Dredd).
- Badge placed near the armpit (as opposed to Dredd's chest badge, albeit within the chain).
- Lycra (versus leather).
- No elbow pads and bling gauntlets (instead of the accurate ones in Dredd).
- Judge Codpiece (instead of something 99.9% less hideous in Dredd).
- Wee black kneepads and bling boots (versus accurate ones, again).

Plus, as has been said here elsewhere, the Stallone uniform looks like some warped dress uniform for a parade, versus something you could actually use to combat crime.

Well said Indigo, puts the failings of the Stallone debacle into words better than I ever could've put it :thumbsup:, a large drink for that man...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.