Main Menu

New Poll: Is 2000ad ready for a new Fantasy Epic (possibly featuring Dragons)?

Started by 2000AD Online, 20 August, 2006, 01:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Deever

There is a historical precedent for dragons with four limbs in many cultures throughout history, as well as two and...well... a lot. Oh, and none!

Anyway, it's not that fantasy stinks or anything- it's just that fantasy films entirely fail to dodge all the cliches.
It should just be a story, which happens to be set in a fantasy world.
Soon as Elves, Dwarves, Wizards and Dragons get trotted out it all gets to be a bit predictable really. Epic Quests of unfathomable importance, fighting against indescribable evil hellbent on exerting their spiteful rule over the entire world. An unlikely party of misfits and the rightful ruler is all that stands between justice and immolation by Dragons!

Yawn!

Sorry, started to rant uncontrollably there... didn't swear, at least.

Fantasy- YES, Dragons- NO
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Emperor

I really hate the way some of the artists ( Though they still are well drawn.) have drawn four armed dragons. The back ones used for thsiere wings and the front left free.

As Dragons go, it just looks abit too odd.

Those are from the Dragonriders of Pern and so aren't proper dragons - they were genetically modified from an indigenous lizard and like most fauna on Pern they have 6 legs (or 4 legs and 2 wings).

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons_%28Pern%29" target="_blank">Wikipedia

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Floyd-the-k

my instinctive reaction is 'NO!!!!!!!!!!1'
but on reflection, if the story is good, why not?  
 I'd like to see Spurrier do something funny and/or unusual with dragons

ThryllSeekyr

I much prefer the look of the Dragons from DragonLance to some of these others that have paintings of them.

This is good example here of the six limbed variety that just doesn't look right.

There amovie that been made recently based on 'The Inheritence Trilogy' It's a dragonesque fantacy type movie by the looks.

Link: http://www.eragonmovie.com/" target="_blank">Eragon..

http://cloudcastle.hut.ru/pics/images/dragon_073.jpg">

Dudley

If some writer is inspired to write a series with dragons, and writes one good enough to get past TMO's Thrill Griller, then sure.  However, if the aim is just to tick the "fantasy" box then all I can say is Dear God No.

Oddboy

If some writer is inspired to write a series with dragons, and writes one good enough to get past TMO's Thrill Griller, then sure.

Firekind, for example.

Better set your phaser to stun.

Woolly

"I do like Glenn Fabry's interpretation of Slaine's Knucker though."

Read that as 'Knackers' at first...

"I'd like to see Spurrier do something funny and/or unusual with dragons"

Floyd, thats just downright kinky!
;)

House of Usher

Last year's Winter Special had a go at two new fantasy strips, didn't it? Neither of which I would like to see back again.
STRIKE !!!

Max Kon

I, Cosh

Bring back Tales of Telguuth I say.

And, in general, yes I'd be happy to see a decent new strip with a fantasy setting.
We never really die.

Floyd-the-k

there's always the transvestite/fantasy/martial arts epic, Enter With Drag On*

*this joke copywright The Goodies, I think**
** I'll get me coat

Oddboy

How does the group feel about big stompy killer robot dragons?
Better set your phaser to stun.

I, Cosh

How does the group feel about big stompy killer robot dragons?

Mmmmm.

Melty like chocolate.
We never really die.

ThryllSeekyr

The "Knucker" I have found to be the correct term for the Asian Serpent type of Dragon.

I originally thought it was just a fancy word that Pat Mills had made up.

Funt Solo

A sequel to Tiger Sun, Dragon Moon - that'd do it for me.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++