Main Menu

Shazam! Constantine movie

Started by Art, 12 March, 2005, 01:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

"The Ring" 2 is by the actual Ring director isn't it? It sounds pretty bad from what I've heard.

Quirkafleeg

Yup... Rules? Logic? Who needs that?

The Amstor Computer

""The Ring" 2 is by the actual Ring director isn't it? It sounds pretty bad from what I've heard."

Saw a trailer for this tonight, and it looks piss-awful. The first remake was about as good as could be expected, but this looks like the creators watched Ring 0 & spent a couple of months figuring out how to make it worse...

I, Cosh

Finally watched this tonight and thought it was total gash apart from 15 minutes at the end with Tilda Swinton and the Devil. The cgi veered erratically from quite cool to totally laughable while plot threads seemed to appear and incomprehensibly disappear at a bewildering rate. The same effect could be achieved by getting high on a cocktail of cocaine and Ribena and reading half a dozen assorted issues from Ennis's run on Hellblazer in the wrong order whilst riding the waltzers.

The one good thing I can say about it is that at least it glamourised smoking.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

And another thing. I've always pronounced it Con-stan-tyne, like the river, not -teen like the agers. I'm prepared to accept I might be the one who's wrong there.
We never really die.

the shutdown man

I always liked this film, but that may have to do with me never having read the comics, so I'm not comparing it to source material. I enjoyed the twisted sense of humour the film had going for it (torturing a demon by reading him the last rites, looking into Hell by making eye contact with a cat, the knuckle dusters of Divine fury, etc.) and while Keanu is not a great actor, he manages to do moody and pissed off pretty well. And Peter Stormare as Satan quite simply rocks.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

ThryllSeekyr

Noticing that 'Run Fat Boy, Run' is now screening in my part of the World. I have been thinking that whats his name , the main character from 'Shaun of The Dead', Hot Fuzz' and 'Spaced. might have made a excellent John Constentine.                                                                                      A chracter that is meant to be English anyway and a story that was origan set in that part of the world.                                                                                            Speaking in cockney, shouldn't be too much of a stretch if he's english.                                                                                          Just my opinion though.                                                                                           Sorry, got nothing agains't Keanu Reeves. Hemust have really needed the work and it's been said that the role of Constentine was modified just for him. Though I thought he was totally wrong for the original creation of Aln Moore ( Is that right?) and the character before it was Americanised.                                                                                     In this way, I thoughtthe actual 'Constentine' movie as a good stand alone detective story with supernatural written all over it. Anyway. The person who cast as Satan was suberb, non the less.                                                                                             I appologiseor any typos here, because the returnkey function is no longer working on my computer keyboard. Fortunitly  my older brother brought me a wireless keyboard for last Xmas.                                                                                             It sits there because, it needs to be pfirat connected and then programmed before use. It even has installation disk as well. So it's going to require some work. Which is why I have left it.

TordelBack

Simon Pegg as Constantine?  Interesting idea, wonder if he could pull off suave?

I often thought that a young Dennis Waterman might have done the trick, and there would have been feem toon fringe benefits to boot.  

Adrian Bamforth

I love the Constantine film; It surprises me how quickly I forget how John's nationality and look has changed and that his friend Chaz is now a different character (why didn't they just give him a different namd?). He's less cheeky though this is easily explained by him being at his lowest ebb from Cancer.

What it does capture perfectly is John's place on Earth; the fact that he is well known to both angels and demons and that even the angels are bastards and don't seem to care about human suffering. It actually raises real theological questions such as the hypocracy of people being forgiven just by asking for it on their deathbed (one of Gabriel's gripes) and whether faith in God is more important than 'knowing' God and The Devil are real as John did. The moment when Gabriel tell John he's "f**ked" is truly chilling.

The depiction of The Devil is the best I've ever seen in movies, managing to brilliant convey true evil by making him gloat and whistle smugly.

TordelBack

The depiction of The Devil is the best I've ever seen in movies, managing to brilliant convey true evil by making him gloat and whistle smugly.

Damnit, now you've made me want to see it.  

satchmo

Noisybast

Speaking in cockney, shouldn't be too much of a stretch if he's english

Which would be grand if Constantine wasn't from Liverpool.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

longmanshort

Just managed to get through 34 minutes of this ... I think I deserve some kind of medal.
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

soggy

Just managed to get through 34 minutes of this ... I think I deserve some kind of medal

Pfah they don't give medals to quitters!

Slippery PD

To be honest the film might have worked if it was called Bill Smith, Psychic Exorcist.  But it wasn't.  I actually know a couple of people who like it, but they have never read the source material.  

Personally theres some neat design in the film, but for the most part it comes across as another Reeve's  (Im not an action star honest - though my best films are matrix (singular), speed and point break) vehicle.  He is often when trying to portray a character of any interest, out of his depth.  He just cant do it here at all and the saccharine sweet ending is almost as bad.  

Yer Slips