Main Menu

Luke Kirby

Started by Timothy, 21 November, 2016, 07:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Quote from: CalHab on 08 May, 2017, 08:12:08 AM
.. he doesn't seem to be able to decide whether it is set in the 60s or 90s. Is this deliberate?

I'm guessing you mean the nightclub bits? Again, I'm reading stuff into this but I just took it as a joke towards crap 90s dance music. 'So bad it must come from hell' kinda thing.
There's the one panel of Luke [spoiler]reading Kim's fortune which shows the car crash, definately in the future.[/spoiler]

One question I have - When Luke first meets 'Jack' in the shop, he's given some chocolates for his Mum. She definately looks like the name Jack means something to her... wonder where that story thread was going?

I do agree that the tone feels a little bit off in 'Sympathy for the Devil', but maybe thats the point?
A harsh, horrible concrete world of demons, that no respecting alchemist would ever want anything to do with?
Again, I'm reading alot into this...

Greg M.

Quote from: CalHab on 08 May, 2017, 08:12:08 AM
Thinking on it a bit more, Sympathy For the Devil does seem a bit of a misfit. It seemed fine to me back when I was reading it in the prog, but it jars when you read the rest of the series.

Sympathy is a curate's egg of a story - individual bits are good, but it doesn't hang together that well in its own right, let alone in context. For instance, Elias warns Luke that Jack's just running him through Hell, hoping Luke will eventually slip up, and indeed Jack deliberately blasts Luke into an abyss (I do love the panel of Jack breathing fire - very sinister.) However, at the end, Jack comes to help Luke deal with his father's captor, apparently wanting to eliminate an ambitious underling, and the two part as chums. He tried to kill you, Luke - why don't you think he's a bad guy? (None of this really ties into the much more Dennis Wheatley-ish prologue either.) Luke and Kim's ages also seem inconsistent – at one point, Luke says he's been flying since he was nine, but he's nine when he says it, because his tenth birthday's in 'The Old Straight Track'. (He also makes a comment about Kim that seems a little mature for a boy his age.) Kim, meanwhile, seems to be Luke's age to begin with, but by '...Track' he's referring to her as older, in comparison with the Chinese sorceress he meets.

That said, I do think '...Track' pulls the series right back on... well, track. I'm not keen on the last episode ([spoiler]I'd prefer it hadn't all been a test[/spoiler]) but it would have been very interesting to see where the series might have gone next.

CalHab

Quote from: Woolly on 08 May, 2017, 08:53:53 AM
I'm guessing you mean the nightclub bits? Again, I'm reading stuff into this but I just took it as a joke towards crap 90s dance music. 'So bad it must come from hell' kinda thing.
There's the one panel of Luke [spoiler]reading Kim's fortune which shows the car crash, definately in the future.[/spoiler]

One question I have - When Luke first meets 'Jack' in the shop, he's given some chocolates for his Mum. She definately looks like the name Jack means something to her... wonder where that story thread was going?

I do agree that the tone feels a little bit off in 'Sympathy for the Devil', but maybe thats the point?
A harsh, horrible concrete world of demons, that no respecting alchemist would ever want anything to do with?
Again, I'm reading alot into this...

Well, there's that (and Alan McKenzie was fond of throwing in dance music references) but also the clothes and haircuts look far more 90s than 60s in "Sympathy...".

That's before you get to the fact that Jack Hobb is quoting Stones lyrics that hadn't been written yet.

CalHab

Quote from: Greg M. on 08 May, 2017, 12:49:59 PM
Luke and Kim's ages also seem inconsistent – at one point, Luke says he's been flying since he was nine, but he's nine when he says it, because his tenth birthday's in 'The Old Straight Track'. (He also makes a comment about Kim that seems a little mature for a boy his age.) Kim, meanwhile, seems to be Luke's age to begin with, but by '...Track' he's referring to her as older, in comparison with the Chinese sorceress he meets.

The Chinese sorceress is referred to as being an adult by Luke, which is a bit odd. I can only assume that she is only a little older than Luke, and that he simply views everyone more than a couple of years his elder as "old", otherwise her interest in him is... inappropriate.

Greg M.

I do like the fact that the pair are basically Tigerlily and the Conjurer from 'Rupert Bear' though.

CalHab

Quote from: Greg M. on 08 May, 2017, 02:05:24 PM
I do like the fact that the pair are basically Tigerlily and the Conjurer from 'Rupert Bear' though.

Ha! I hadn't thought of that, but you're right.

Andy B

I just got the paperback version of this, and surprised to find that it's BIG. That is, same size as a hardback.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anybody's getting this for anal same-size-as-the-others reasons: might as well get the HC.

So it's got a bit of a Yearbook feel... The art is absolutely gorgeous: can't wait to read it.

No mention of Dr Who in the John Ridgway biography. Fail!

sheridan

Quote from: CalHab on 08 May, 2017, 01:50:38 PM
Well, there's that (and Alan McKenzie was fond of throwing in dance music references) but also the clothes and haircuts look far more 90s than 60s in "Sympathy...".

That's before you get to the fact that Jack Hobb is quoting Stones lyrics that hadn't been written yet.

Surely that's because Jack hadn't sold the lyrics to the Stones yet (in exchange for their souls, etc).

The Adventurer

Has anyone else notice the Summer Magic collection seems to have vanished from the eShop? I mean, I already have my copy but I went looking for creator credits and noticed it MIA, even with a search.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Mute77

Yeah i just looked and couldnt find it which is a bit weird..glad i got the hc when i did.

TordelBack

Aye, one of the best spur-of-the-moment purchases I've ever made. I only really remembered the perfect first story, and I was delighted to find that there was so much more, and all of it good-to-great. A real lost treat of a read, and a gorgeously produced volume.

IndigoPrime

Still available on Amazon and Wordery at the time of writing, if anyone still needs a copy.

The Adventurer

I suspect its an error. As its not been out very long, and I don't know what voodoo licensing deal Rebellion made but it'd be crazy if it was actually that short of a time period. Even if the physical copy was sold out, you should still be able to buy it digitally.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Adventurer on 29 July, 2017, 06:10:55 AM
Has anyone else notice the Summer Magic collection seems to have vanished from the eShop? I mean, I already have my copy but I went looking for creator credits and noticed it MIA, even with a search.

Both paperback and hardback are in the 2000AD shop: https://shop.2000ad.com/series/story/summer-magic

The Adventurer

Its not listed under Graphic Novels > More Titles. Nor does it appear if I search 'Summer Magic' or 'Luke Kirby' in the search bar.

I can find it if I go through my own purchase history however. So it's still on the site, but unlisted