Main Menu

yoincks! followed closely by bah!

Started by judgefloyd, 20 April, 2013, 11:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 24 August, 2023, 10:22:41 AMGot a lovely framed page of Henry Flint artwork for a great price off ebay last week.

When it arrived this morning I discovered the seller had made a perfunctory effort with the packaging, so the frame was smashed to bits and the parcel was full of broken glass. The art, luckily, seems undamaged.

Who would try and post in a glass frame! I would have asked to remove the precious art and post in a sturdy
cardboard tube.

Anyway we need a post on Original art thread to see your purchase. 👍🏻
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 24 August, 2023, 11:44:25 AM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 24 August, 2023, 10:22:41 AMGot a lovely framed page of Henry Flint artwork for a great price off ebay last week.

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 24 August, 2023, 11:44:25 AM

When it arrived this morning I discovered the seller had made a perfunctory effort with the packaging, so the frame was smashed to bits and the parcel was full of broken glass. The art, luckily, seems undamaged.

Who would try and post in a glass frame! I would have asked to remove the precious art and post in a sturdy
cardboard tube.

Yeah once you've tidy the glass away let's have a gander.

Barrington Boots

I'll get on it shortly!

Bizarrely, the parcel also included the same page from the Prog, also framed, and that had been carefully sealed in layers of bubble wrap and so arrived intact... yet no effort made to protect the original page in the frame...
You're a dark horse, Boots.

JohnW

I had a little revelation today.
If you'd asked me a dozen years ago what my dream job would be, I'd have described what I'm actually doing this autumn.
I just didn't reckon it would involve so much aggravation and, y'know, work.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JohnW

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 13 September, 2023, 10:08:50 PMWhat are you doing this autumn?
Being paid actual money to stand up on my hind legs and talk history at people until winter sets in and I'm all historied out, at which point I will retire to my lair and indulge my habit for recreational cake.
It's the dream.
The tweed angels stand at my shoulder.

On the other hand, it technically counts as a job, and I've spent the last couple of days being reminded why I usually avoid having one of those.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Funt Solo

Ah, the money! Ah, the good bits (passing on knowledge). Ah, the lack of boredom (it's not a zero sum game).

Boo, the paperwork! Boo, the difficult ones who are all like "but, like, what's even the point of the thing you've poured your heart and soul into, and that humanity in general has a great respect for?" Boo, the new boss who has a new scheme that involves meetings and forms but which has nothing to do with anything anyone else in the building is actually doing (and will, anyway, forget that they thought it was important after about two months).

Like that, sort of thing?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JohnW

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 13 September, 2023, 10:34:33 PMLike that, sort of thing?
Pretty much, except that the admin is blessedly on my side and largely shelters me from the uncaring system.
No: my problem lies in the plain old job-ness of the gig.
I just want to go on stage, do my academic rockstar thing, and disappear into a cloud of dry ice at the end. I don't need all this email and room-booking and syllabus-submitting hassle to harsh my vibe.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Yoinks!

After a prolonged, agonizing process I've finally moved into my first property as a home owner.
It's just a 50% co-share but it's a start, and I'm really happy with my cozy little digs and its locale.

Bah!

Solicitors slapped me with a litany of extra charges. I was aware this was a probability but accumulatively they more than double the initial quote, bringing it just shy of £3000.
What's more, a number of these extra charges seem either frivolous or inclusive of services agreed upon in the initial quote.
Fair to say this multi-year saga in my life isn't quite over yet as I'm now seeking financial counsel. Yet another headache to endure.

Colin YNWA

And this type of thing is why they will be dragging my rotting corpse from our current house. Moving house can be... challenging...

JayzusB.Christ

Congratulations, HM.  Despite the shite charges, owning a house is an achievement to be proud of.

I'm going to be a patronizing old fuck and say I remember you arriving on the board as a fresh-typefaced young stripling, at least compared to most of us. But speaking as a man who rents a wooden cabin on his mate's land, I think I can safely say you've out-adulted me by a fair old margin.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 September, 2023, 09:22:18 AMI'm going to be a patronizing old fuck and say I remember you arriving on the board as a fresh-typefaced young stripling, at least compared to most of us. But speaking as a man who rents a wooden cabin on his mate's land, I think I can safely say you've out-adulted me by a fair old margin.

Honestly given the stress JBC, a wood cabin sounds just lovely to me.

Ended up getting the additional fees waived, made a big stink about what exactly qualified as an extra fee not being explained and the over all quality of the service (no clear timeline being outlined from the onset, promised completion date being delayed 5 days in a row).
On the whole, poor service but whats done is done and I'm a few more quids in than expected to be.
Ho hum.

pauljholden

Got a dental appointment this morning (phoned at 8:45 got one for 9) Yoink! Went up they're moving to private! (Bah) but turns out I'm still nhs so this treatment would be nhs(younk) this treatment meant they take out a tooth then and there (bah!) but it was only £14 instead of £86. Yoink. I guess.

JohnW

And if you factor in what the tooth fairy brings, you might turn a profit yet.

Yoinks?